PDA

View Full Version : Worsted yarn for socks?

redheadrachel
10-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey everyone! I've never knit socks with any worsted yarn, just sock yarn. So - I know that I definitely want them to be washable. What's a decent, fairly inexpensive worsted yarn for socks? Will any soft acrylic type do, or is that a bad idear?

stirsmommy
10-16-2007, 03:45 PM
The washable worsted weight I have been using is Plymouth Encore but I have only used it for sweaters. They even have a couple of self striping. I have no idea how they would be for socks.

MamaMer
10-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Iirc, if you do a sock pattern in worsted you really have to do a lot of adjusting to the pattern to make them not the size for the Jolly Green Giant's feet. And also you might not want the yarn too terribly soft, or your socks might keep slipping down. maybe a blend of some sort...

Jan in CA
10-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey everyone! I've never knit socks with any worsted yarn, just sock yarn. So - I know that I definitely want them to be washable. What's a decent, fairly inexpensive worsted yarn for socks? Will any soft acrylic type do, or is that a bad idear?

The problem with acrylic yarn is it doesn't breath so I would recommend a wool blend like Encore. It's wool and acrylic. As far as patterns go there are plenty of patterns for heavier weight socks so that's no problem. You can use Silver's pattern with worsted weight or since you've made socks before you know how to adjust for fit. ;)

Mulderknitter
10-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Rachel-
I plan on making some socks soon with a skein of worsted malabrigo I have that doesn't match anything else. Just go to Silver's site and use her worsted pattern. I know, malabrigo will felt if I don't hand wash it, but I plan on them being bed socks/slippers, so I don't mind.

mdog182
10-16-2007, 07:03 PM
it's kinda more on the expensive side but lorna's laces makes a shepherd worsted weight yarn that i'm pretty sure is machine washable. i can't imagine most acrylic being too comfortable on your feet, but it's personal preference.

madametj
10-16-2007, 07:39 PM
i waws just recommended to just knit picks swish superwash

dreamsherl
10-16-2007, 08:11 PM
The problem with acrylic yarn is it doesn't breath so I would recommend a wool blend like Encore. It's wool and acrylic.

Ditto. I hope that school is going good for ya.:thumbsup:

redheadrachel
10-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Hey everyone! The fit isn't so much a problem, I'm using a pattern that's specifically for worsted (Cinderella from Knitty - I'm just interested in learning such a unique construction)

Thanks for all the tips!

speattle
10-17-2007, 11:52 AM
I have used LB Wool ease. there is even a sock pattern on the LB website for Wool ease.

I've also used "Big Prints" by Mexico. It is a self patterning worsted weight machine washable wool.