PDA

View Full Version : 16 inch Options needle length..

Jan in CA
10-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Anyone ordered these yet? I searched, but didn't see any posts other than the old ones requesting this length. I got mine today and I was really surprised... the needles are so short!! :zombie: I have some 16 in Addis and the needle isn't this short so I was just surprised. It will be weird knitting with them I think, but I'm going to give it a try...and they are my beloved Options so how bad can it be? :teehee: Anyone have any thoughts so far on the 16 in Options?

The attached image is size 8 nickle plated Options. The short one is on the 16 inch cable.

stirsmommy
10-16-2007, 04:08 PM
I am using a sixteen inch on the stocking I am working on and I admit at first I couldn't figure out why it felt different. It did finally dawn on me that it is all about the needle length.
That said it is an option and I love it!

suecq
10-16-2007, 04:52 PM
I have the Options 16" in size 0-5 and the 16" Harmony in size 6. I find the shorter length awkward and would almost rather use dpn's. However, I am forcing myself to stick with the 16" circulars.

mdog182
10-16-2007, 07:23 PM
oh geez i didn't even realize they made a 16" size for the options set.....good thing i asked for a knitpicks gift card for my bday! i have one fixed 16" circular from knitpicks....the whole metal part is about 3 3/8" long and the options needles are about an inch longer. it didn't seem to make much of a difference when i was knitting with it.

Marj
10-16-2007, 07:39 PM
I bought a size 9 16" when I got my Harmonys but I've not tried it out yet. The needles are short.

I am working on a Pinwheel Afghan right now but am using size 10 needles so I used my Susan Battes 16" circs and the needles are so short. Knitting wiht them is really awkward so I was happy too get far enough(barely) to switch to my 24" Harmonys.

I remember thinking it felt like knitting with toothpicks.

Marjorie

raederle
10-16-2007, 09:19 PM
To clarify, these are permanently joined circular needles, not cables for the interchangeables?

because i went looking for the 16" cables in my Options set that i got last Xmas, and couldn't find them. assumed i'd used them elsewhere, looked a bit, checked online, voila, mystery solved, cables for Options interchangeables come in 24" to 60", and the sets come with two each 24" and 32" (40", 47" & 60" sold separately).
D'oh!

and i second the request for 16" cables! how 'bout 12", too, for sleeves...

brittyknits
10-16-2007, 09:49 PM
I think people such as myself who hold the needles very close to the tip don't mind the short needles as much, so it's a matter of personal taste. But yes, this is were they get you-- no short cables for the Options, so you have to buy those separately.:wink:

dakatzmeow
10-17-2007, 08:18 AM
magic loop or 2 circs are the ONLY way to fly, for me anyway. ;) that way, i just buy one or two loooooooooong needles, and i can use them for ANYTHING!

and yes, i am admittedly biased on this subject. ;)

candicane
10-17-2007, 08:41 AM
I have used the 16" harmonies in size 4 for a hat (knit with Shibui sock yarn) and did not find them akward. However, I also have no problem using 12" addis.

candice

cindycactus
10-17-2007, 08:48 AM
I just received the size 6 and size 8 Harmonys I ordered and was excited to start a Irish Hiking Scarf. But after about 3 inches I had to go back to my Options. My hand was cramping. The needle is VERY short and it was uncomfortable to hold. I will try them again later but I was disappointed. Love my Options.

Jan in CA
10-25-2007, 11:53 AM
To clarify, these are permanently joined circular needles, not cables for the interchangeables?

Correct, these are not interchangeable. I still haven't had a chance to try them. I've been making socks and squares. :teehee:

hellokitty165
10-25-2007, 01:30 PM
i love mine alot and they are wonderful !

mwhite
10-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Well, since the circulars measure from tip to tip, they have to make the needle portion shorter or you wouldn't be able to work or manipulate(is that the right word???) with them. They're great for smaller work but sure do make the hands cramp.