PDA

View Full Version : Just curious-- any male knitters, here?

brittyknits
10-16-2007, 06:25 PM
:guyknitting: I hear about this species, but have never spotted one in its natural habitat? Any nesting here at KH?

ecb
10-16-2007, 06:28 PM
:guyknitting: I hear about this species, but have never spotted one in its natural habitat? Any nesting here at KH?

Not me, just a Dyke knitter here
but yes, we have a few
and I have met a few living near me here in Maine

LOL, U funny

ecb

Ingrid
10-16-2007, 06:32 PM
We have several!:guyknitting:

Knitting_Guy
10-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Guys don't knit. :wink:

Rorshach
10-16-2007, 08:01 PM
I agree mason, it's just unheard of. :lol:

brendajos
10-16-2007, 08:15 PM
okay ECB just made me laugh out loud at my desk.... thanks ECB for breaking the LOL rule!

:muah:

PammieJR
10-16-2007, 08:20 PM
I finally met, in person, my first male knitter at a LYS near where I work. I was so excited! And he was a darn good knitter, too. Him and his wife have own thier store since the 60s!

Jan in CA
10-16-2007, 08:37 PM
:teehee: We have a lot of them here! There is one guy at my knit nights, too! :cheering:

brittyknits
10-16-2007, 10:17 PM
I guess I should have been prepared for some cute answers:). And should have rephrased the question-- Anyone here who dates women?:) Glad to see there's a varied crew here-- keeps things interesting:). But it's funny-- I've never met any adult males who knit, but some young boys, children of friends of mine who do-- without apology or self-consciousness! It's great. Considering it was a male profession a few centuries ago, you all should be reclaiming your territory!:wink:.

Braden
10-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Just to name a few

Myself
Mason (Knitting_Guy)
Rorshach

Those are all I can think of right now.

Knitting_Guy
10-17-2007, 07:10 AM
I guess I should have been prepared for some cute answers:). And should have rephrased the question-- Anyone here who dates women?:) Glad to see there's a varied crew here-- keeps things interesting:). But it's funny-- I've never met any adult males who knit, but some young boys, children of friends of mine who do-- without apology or self-consciousness! It's great. Considering it was a male profession a few centuries ago, you all should be reclaiming your territory!:wink:.

So what you want to know is whether or not the male knitters here are adults? Straight vs gay adults?

I'm physically an adult (we won't get into mentally :rofl:), and yes I am straight.

I'm not at all self-conscious about knitting. I KIP on a daily basis, in truckstops and taverns all over the country. I've found it to be a great icebreaker and it's been the start of many good conversations.

KnittingNat
10-17-2007, 07:19 AM
And Jeremy the moderator is a knitting guy. There are also Pauly and Maleknitter and BostonBecca's fiance that joined the forum recently. And there's Boyforpele. And i can't remember any more right now :??

MMario
10-17-2007, 10:43 AM
chalk up another knitter with a 'y' chromosome.

MamaMer
10-17-2007, 11:01 AM
There is a guy knitter in my Tuesday night knitting group. And that poor man, surrounded by women, every Tuesday getting hounded. Why? He is a gynecologist:teehee: Poor thing!

BostonBecca
10-17-2007, 11:30 AM
I was going to mention the fiance but someone beat me to it.

He's still knitting.

He is working on his second afghan. This one is for his sister. It's still straight garter stitch for him, but his next project is mittens or a bib for my cousin's baby.

knitasha
10-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Bill, another male ob/gyn from Texas posts regularly on the TKGA forum.

Here's a list of male knitters who also blog.
http://www.menknit.net/blogs.html
Of which Franklin's is a must-read.
http://the-panopticon.blogspot.com/

rissa
10-17-2007, 12:32 PM
My father taught me how to knit at a young age. He still knits voraciously. :woot:

Jan in CA
10-17-2007, 01:41 PM
A few...

maleknitter
Braden
Jeremy
Joel
Rorshach
knitting_guy
mmario

there are others, too.

kym
10-17-2007, 08:12 PM
There should be a discovery channel show about the male knitter. You know where they take big jeeps and HD cameras and sit in blinds and film the never before seen so and so in it's natural habitat hehe

IamtheWalter
10-17-2007, 08:34 PM
*raises hand*

brittyknits
10-17-2007, 09:11 PM
The responses to this question have turned out far more interesting than I ever anticipated.:)

Ingrid
10-17-2007, 09:12 PM
http://www.menknit.net/menwhoknit.html

IamtheWalter
10-17-2007, 09:38 PM
also check out menwhoknit.com
I know that mmario and mason are on there because I recognize their names. I'm also on there but I mostly lurk.

scubasinger
10-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Hmm, let me check...

(pulls out waistband)

Yep! Me still male!!!

Vic
(aka Scubasinger, who is relieved to find everything intact!!)

sugarfunpouch
10-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Is Conti_Knitter one? I heard that he was a guy, but I'm not sure.

simplethings
10-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Male here too. =)

Jan in CA
10-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Is Conti_Knitter one? I heard that he was a guy, but I'm not sure.

Yes, he changed his user name to Braden (his real name).

Hmm, let me check...

(pulls out waistband)

Yep! Me still male!!!

Vic

:chair:

scout52
10-18-2007, 01:09 AM
Braden is such a nice name. I've never heard it before. I had always thought conti_knitter was a girl until a post he had made when he had identified himself as a knitter.

Simplethings I NEVER knew you were male!!! :cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:

JGM
10-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Checking in...

aslangirl
10-18-2007, 12:47 PM
My brother works for Keepsake quilting (www.keepsakequilting.com), and one of their sister stores is Patternworks (www.patternworks.com), which is a yarn store! (And he gets a 40% discount, too!!!!!!:woot:) Anyway, he sent me a text message just this morning, saying, "They're teaching me to knit!" So I asked if he was learning English or Continental (I knit continental), and whether he liked it. He said he has no idea, and he can live without it. Ha, I'll convert him yet! Just as long as he doesn't become a better knitter than me! ;-)

I like my job, but how unfair is it that he gets to spend 40 hours a week (and get paid for it) in a quilting/knitting/scrapbooking store???? :)

cheesiesmom
10-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Let's have a big cheer for all the guy knitters at KH! They give us a different perspective and we love'em all!
:woohoo:

Ingrid
10-18-2007, 09:35 PM
:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:

amy
10-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Nice to hear from all of you men here at KH! :guyknitting::cheering::cheering::cheering:

Hey, did you guys know that we made that avatar ourselves, just for y'all? A forum member, Happenin, designed it. She took the bow off the original knitting emoticon, and gave it a hat!:guyknitting:

Simplethings, I love the scarf in your avatar, nice knitting! :inlove:

..how unfair is it that he gets to spend 40 hours a week (and get paid for it) in a quilting/knitting/scrapbooking store???? :)

Aslangirl, I hope he does become a knitter &/or quilter. Seems a waste of a great job connection, otherwise!

SteveDallas
12-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Hey, did you guys know that we made that avatar ourselves, just for y'all? A forum member, Happenin, designed it. She took the bow off the original knitting emoticon, and gave it a hat!:guyknitting:
Hey, I didn't know that! Thanks!

I never actually got around to posting "I'm a man and I knit" (I thought it was kind of obvious :wink:) but I thought y'all would get a kick out of this.

I play clarinet in a community orchestra. We had a Christmas concert yesterday. There was a rehearsal before with about a 1/2 hour break before the concert. I brought the hat I was working on and worked a small bit on it while I was killing the nervous time waiting for things to start. The woman who plays clarinet with me saw it, and made a comment that she's always impressed by anybody who knits or anything like that, because she doesn't have the patience for it. I said it can help me relax or distract me when I'm getting worked up about something. Then she said, "Yeah, I guess that's true. My husband says the same thing. He does counted cross-stitch." :thumbsup:

grumbles
12-11-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm male. :waving:

bip
12-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Hmm, let me check...

(pulls out waistband)

Yep! Me still male!!!

Vic

Any excuse to check on the genitals - definitely a guy! :roflhard:

dalisn28
12-11-2007, 05:55 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I thought the same thing!! :teehee:

jess_hawk
12-11-2007, 06:14 PM
That's what I was thinking too... :roflhard:
(Mental image of the ex-bf and friends checking the temperature during marching band... :roll:)