PDA

View Full Version : What's the secret??

cindygster
10-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Ok, I'm working on a shoulder blanket from a free Joann's pattern... I can NEVER get the darn center-pull end of the yarn out of the ball on the first, second, third tries!! I wind up with these loose loops hanging out of each end of the ball where I've been fishing for the center-pull end. Is there some sort of secret to getting that end out?:help:

Thanks everyone!!! :flirt:

WildMountainHoney
10-16-2007, 06:54 PM
I posted a question recently about center pull, and the term "yarn vomit" came up. I think you aren't pulling enough out. I don't think I could ever find *just* the end, I expect I will always have some "yarn vomit" - sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

kbagel
10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get yarn vomit. Pull out a little too much and find the end. You can't just leave that yarn vomit in a mess so you can use it as an excuse to knit more. :)

HamaLee
10-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Cardboard toilet paper rolls!

I make my center pull balls by cutting a slit in one end of a toilet paper roll. Drop a length of yarn down the center, then slip the yarn through the slit (close to the skein) and I wrap that way. Eventually you end up wrapping over the open top of the tube to cover it, getting a nice ball. And then when you're done, remove the tube and voila! A sturdy center pull ball that doesn't collapse in on itself or get tangled in your fingers.

brendajos
10-16-2007, 08:13 PM
pffft embrace the yarn vomit!

I heard a tip once that if you stick one finger into each end and start twirling them around, the end will often wrap itself around one of your fingers. It works most of the time for me. :shrug:

misha rf
10-16-2007, 08:19 PM
That's kinda what I do. I put my fingers in both ends & sort of feel around. Sometimes it works. Sometimes I get a pile of yarn puke. :shrug:

debinoz
10-16-2007, 10:17 PM
The finger thing only works for me with cotton. The rest of the time it's either the cheap kind that has an easy to find end or I get out the barf bags.

mrslevite
10-16-2007, 10:56 PM
The finger thing only works for me with cotton. The rest of the time it's either the cheap kind that has an easy to find end or I get out the barf bags.Can someone explain this to me? If the makers of the cheap yarn can get it right, why can't the 'spensive stuff be done right? I just don't understand. I just want to know why. :(

meearnol
10-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Most of the 'spensive stuff I buy is in hanks, so I can wind it into a center pull ball myself. I think it's just a matter of fishing it out of the middle of the ball, whether it's the cheap stuff or not.

dakatzmeow
10-17-2007, 08:15 AM
i pull from the outside. *blushes* i don't pull yarn from the middle of the ball. i wind them into center pull balls and pull from the outside. i don't want my ball to collapse onto itself.

suzeeq
10-17-2007, 10:06 AM
They don't collapse all that much until you get down to the last few yards anyway. You can always put that up into a small ball, or make butterflies.