PDA

View Full Version : purling

molovekayak
10-16-2007, 09:14 PM
what is the point of purling? Why do I need to do it?

knitgal
10-16-2007, 09:26 PM
I suppose you don't NEED to do it, but it's like the knit stitch's sidekick. It compliments the knit stitch in many stitch patterns. It allows you to make stockinette stitch and reverse stockinette. Most patterns use purl at some point. Some people don't like to do it. Elizabeth Zimmerman didn't like to purl and she's an infamous knitter. No one says you HAVE to purl, but it's quite useful in many patterns. If you're having trouble making it, there are videos on this site that can help. They're located at the top of this page, purling is under "Basic Techniques".

raederle
10-16-2007, 09:39 PM
If you don't like to purl, but want the look of stockinette stitch, (http://thewalkertreasury.wordpress.com/2007/03/30/stockinette-stitch/) learn to knit in the round! Miles of knit stitch, no pesky purls in sight!
Also, later when you've got knitting in the round down, and want to make a cardigan, learn to steek!
:oo:
or you can knit with the yarn in your left hand, and cross your stitches? Annie Modesitt does something funky that is different than continental or English-style, (combo-style? anyone? anyone?) and I think it makes purling easier...or I could be making that up, I don't remember.
It's just like my husabnd says about push-ups and sit-ups, the only way to get better at them, (and since he could be fired by the military if he isn't good at them, this is important) is to do them! So do some 2x2 ribbing or reverse stockinette, and go wild. Make some dishcloths in interesting stitch patterns that are heavy on purling. Try some cabling with purl panels to offset the cables in knit stitch.

Or read lots of Elizabeth Zimmerman and learn to love the look of garter stitch!

signed,
recovering purl-hater

Braden
10-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Because if you don't learn how to purl, than the only things you can do are flat garger stitch or round stockinette stitch, and I think that'd get pretty boring after a while.

There are great sources on the internet, and I suggest practicing nothing but purling until it's motion becomes as natural as the knit stitch.

suzeeq
10-16-2007, 11:33 PM
The combination knitting instruction are here - http://anniemodesitt.com/

LadyB
10-17-2007, 12:01 AM
You need to purl to be able to make all the lovely stitch patterns. If all you want is 2 possibilities, then no need to learn to purl. If, however, you want to be able to do a wide variety of stitches and patterns, you must learn to purl. It is VERY worth the effort.

suzeeq
10-17-2007, 12:06 AM
And keep in mind a purl is the back of a knit stitch. It's just formed differently.

MamaMer
10-17-2007, 09:10 AM
For a knitter, I guess it is just one of those things you have to do, especially to make fun and interesting patterns. But, I will freely admit I don't like to purl much either:teehee: But it sure helps when you are making baby blankets and you don't want the edges to roll, or doing ribbing on cuffs. Believe it or not, purling is useful:wink:

JJIMM
04-09-2008, 02:46 PM
:knitting:
I have been trying to knit a baby afghan for weeks now.
Problems I have had:
1. Yarn separating instead of staying together.
2. My bamboo circular needles break off at the needle,
causing me to take a larger one off another set, and
insert in plastic, along with stitches coming off in the
process.
3. I have to cast on 176 stitches, and then purl 2 rows ;
When I start purling, it goes well, then the yarn between
the opposite end of circular needle, or the other needle,
(I've tried both), gets longer and longer and hard to pull
neatly.
Any ideas?

blueygh2
04-09-2008, 02:57 PM
I have to say that I wasn't very satisfied with purl stitch either, in the beginning, because I could only do english style purl stitch and continental knit stitch, so I had to revert to english style knitting for the convenience.

Now that I learned the continental purling as well, I don't mind anymore. It flows as easily (or almost) as knitting, and I just LOVE to double knit. :heart:

snowbear
04-09-2008, 05:29 PM
As a teacher advised me.. grab a skein of unwanted cheap yarn. Cast on 25 stitches. Knit 2 rows.. Purl the rest of the rows till you don't even realize that purling is hard. I hated purling.. then I did it as a bet.. before I realized it I didn't hate purling anymore.. it was as easy as the knit stitch.. Honest!

suzeeq
04-09-2008, 11:19 PM
This problem ...

When I start purling, it goes well, then the yarn between the opposite end of circular needle, or the other needle, (I've tried both), gets longer and longer and hard to pull neatly.

... has nothing to do with purling. It sounds like you're doing the backwards loop cast on and it's not a good one for lots of stitches on a circular, nor is it easy to knit or purl a stitch into it.. Try the knit or cable cast on and the purling will go a lot easier.

Cynamar
04-09-2008, 11:36 PM
I don't like to purl, either. What is steek?

suzeeq
04-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Cutting your knitting.....

Cynamar
04-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks. I found where I asked before and someone answered. I should've looked!