PDA

View Full Version : Agh! I just need to vent.

ladyjessica
10-16-2007, 10:51 PM
As I said, I need to vent. While they were home alone today, one of my dogs decided it would be fun to play with my yarn. I accidentally left a plastic bag with my beautiful balls of red, white, and green Cascade 220 and the partially finished Christmas stocking on the floor, and when I came home half my TV room was covered with yarn. I just spent almost 3 hours that I'll never get back untangling, and I now have 18 balls of yarn instead of 3. Also, my pristine yarn is now covered with dog hair and it just doesn't look nice anymore. I hate to buy all new yarn and start again, but I also hate to give someone a stocking that's covered with dog hair. I know I shouldn't unload my problems on everybody here, and I do love my dogs dearly, but come on already. hehe. Anyway, any suggestions for saving my yarn?

brittyknits
10-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey, that's what we're all here for, to vent at. I'm sure I speak for many of us, if not all, when I say-- it's time for a:grphug:! I can only tell you what I would do-- and that is toss it and go buy more. I know that's a complete pain in the rear, but think of it this way-- how aggravating will it be to be knitting that stocking and seeing a piece of dog hair every inch and a half? If that won't bother you, then ignore my advice. But if it will continue to irritate you, then don't do that to yourself or the receiver. Knitting is about creating and giving, to ourselves and the people in our lives. Keep it happy!:)

meearnol
10-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Ah, yes, the ole dog-in-the-stash trick. I know it well. I have a picture on my blog of my dog looking very proud of herself when she got into my stash. I was able to salvage some of it, but some of it went into the trash. I'd say try using it, and if it's really driving you crazy, get some new yarn for your gift. You can always knit something for yourself with the dog fur infused yarn. :teehee:

mrslevite
10-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Don't know what to tell you to salvage the yarn. Rename the dogs "Mo" and call it "Mo-Hair" yarn?

My dog has shown no interest in my yarn - till tonight. I have a skein of Bernat's Alpaca that he was terribly interested in, but left alone, just sniffed - a lot! It's only 30% alpaca, but I guess it was enough.

LadyB
10-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Could you wash it and/or pick off the dog hair as you are knitting with it? I realize that would add time to your project, but it might be an option.

ladyjessica
10-17-2007, 11:04 AM
I think I might continue on with the one I've already started and see what it looks like. Then I'll decide if I want to buy new yarn for the next one. Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!

GiddyKnitter
10-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Poor you! I have a dog and he used to whip out a ball of yarn right from under my nose and run behind the sofa with it... It's amazing how quick they can unravel a ball of yarn when they are being chased...He thought it was great fun! I nearly always ended up throwing it away as it would have slobber on it as well as loads of knots in it. x

Abbily
10-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Aw, Jessica, I'm sorry! I think I would try washing it, and you can always spit-felt the ends together to get it back into three balls. Since you've already spent the time untangling... good luck!!

rissa
10-17-2007, 12:37 PM
:muah: So sorry to hear about that! I don't have a dog, but I certainly feel for ya. Hope the one you are working on now works out ok for ya...I'm sure you can pick off the dog hair and wash it when you are finished. Good luck!! :hug:

mdog182
10-17-2007, 12:41 PM
awww don't feel bad for venting!! sometimes you just need to let it out.....i don't really have any suggestions besides the one's already listed. but, my thoughts are with you. :wink:

G J
10-17-2007, 01:24 PM
[quote=mrslevite;984173]Don't know what to tell you to salvage the yarn. Rename the dogs "Mo" and call it "Mo-Hair" yarn?
=quote]
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

hummingbird
10-17-2007, 05:27 PM
you could knit a really ugly dog sweater out if it and then make your dog wear it. Then it wouldn't matter that it has dog hair in it.

rosefields
10-17-2007, 05:45 PM
you could knit a really ugly dog sweater out if it and then make your dog wear it. Then it wouldn't matter that it has dog hair in it.
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

cspooks
10-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Can you use it to knit dog sweaters, toys, blankets? No need to worry about dog hair then! I feel your pain - I've had cats make plenty of knitting messes including making huge snags in just-finished sweaters!

Pink Dandelion
10-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh no! That's awful... I sympathize with your feelings towards your dogs. I love my niece and nephew dearly, but they've wreaked havoc upon my knitting on more than one occasion. But I still love them, and they're way cuter than anything I could ever knit :wink: .

I would probably put the yarn into hanks, tie it around in about 4 places and gently hand wash it with some wool wash (or shampoo if it needs more) before I decide whether or not to throw it out...

Mazie
10-19-2007, 07:35 PM
I have used the lint roller with handle thingies to remove dog hair. Not the easiest but it may save your yarn. I just finished the project and then rolled and rolled and rolled....
Nice Doggie..

Karrying Kolor
10-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Your fur-baby knows the good stuff!!

Personally, I wouldn't try to salvage it for a gift, I'd never be happy with myself giving it, knowing what it had been through, but I would save it to knit something for that naught puppy and start anew for the lucky giftee...

Anyway, better luck with which ever path you decide to take! :hug:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Could you wash it and/or pick off the dog hair as you are knitting with it? I realize that would add time to your project, but it might be an option.

This is what I would do... at the very least it won't work and you've only lost a few hours. Wind your balls into skeins (if you don't have a swift, someone's arms or the back of a chair will work), and tie the skeins loosely with some cotton yarn/shoelace/etc--don't use wool, it might color your yarn. Then fill up the sink with luke warm water and let it soack for a while. Hang up the skeins--you can weight them down with a can of soup or whatever so they don't end up kinky--and when they're dry check them out; if the hair is gone, great, if not, well at least you have an excuse for yarn shopping!

I would do the white separately from the other colors, just in case they bleed.

Also, if you still have the yarn bands, call your LYS and ask them to put aside some of the same dyelot for you: that way if you DO have to get more yarn, it will match.

LadyB
10-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Also, if you still have the yarn bands, call your LYS and ask them to put aside some of the same dyelot for you: that way if you DO have to get more yarn, it will match.

Brilliant!