PDA

View Full Version : tail of yarn

molovekayak
10-16-2007, 11:13 PM
If I am making a hat with circular needles how much tail do i need to leave on my yarn?? I am going to be doing 90 stitch cast on. Help!!

suzeeq
10-16-2007, 11:47 PM
I usually try to measure out enough for only an inch or so. You really don't need much, it won't come undone.

eta: or did you mean how much to cast on with? Figure about 1/2 inch per st plus 6", or 3 times what the measurement will be. If it's about 20" around that's 60", the other method, 50". Somewhere in there...

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-17-2007, 12:47 AM
on knitty gritty she reccomended wrapping the yarn around the needle for the number of stitches you'd need, then you won't have an uber long tail...

HTH
Stacia

Karrying Kolor
10-17-2007, 05:57 AM
Cast-on trick.

From a center pull ball, tie the pull end and free end together, and pull them down into a "V" for a long tail cast-on.

When you have the number of stitches you need, cut the free end!

You'll never have to little yarn!

Genius!

dakatzmeow
10-17-2007, 08:09 AM
intrigued with your idea, karrying......so do you knot the two strands together at the beginning, then weave those ends in later? i really love long tail cast-on and i'm constantly irked by my waste of yarn (or my lack of foresight in truly measuring how much i'll need. ;) ).

merchgirl
10-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Cast-on trick.

From a center pull ball, tie the pull end and free end together, and pull them down into a "V" for a long tail cast-on.

Genius!
yes karrying, i'm intrigued too, but i don't quite understand. i always use the long tail cast on method, and i always wind up with too much yarn. i like the idea of wrapping it around the needle the number of times you need (why have i never thought of that???), but i'm curious as to exactly how this method you discovered works. wouldn't you end up with that knot in your work? or no?

suzeeq
10-17-2007, 10:33 AM
You can undo the knot and weave in the ends.

merchgirl
10-17-2007, 10:37 AM
so...you have two extra ends to weave in, but no wasted yarn? is that correct?

suzeeq
10-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Yep.

Wahlee
10-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah, the wrapping-around-the-needles trick works pretty well. I usually wrap 10 stitches, then use that length to measure out the rest of the tail-- so if you're casting on 90 stitches, wrap around the needles 10 times, then measure out 8 more lengths of that-- voila! 90 stitches worth.

I recently started a lengthwise scarf, and decided I didn't want to bother with the long-tail, so I did a crochet cast-on instead. It worked out really well-- no over or under estimating!

Karrying Kolor
10-18-2007, 05:59 AM
You've all got the idea!

Weaving in two short ends is lot better than wasting the yarn or not having enough for your cast-on and having to start again!

Marj
10-18-2007, 06:14 AM
I really will have to try some of these ideas because I always just guess on the length I'll need. I'm usually prettty lucky with it and get it just about right.

But unfortunately I am also one who haes to waste even a couple of inches of yarn so if I guess wrong and have too much tail left I undo it and start over.

Sometimes I end up casting on 3 or 4 times before I get it at just the right length with only about 6 inches of tail left. I am weird that way.

Marjorie

Silver
10-18-2007, 07:57 AM
I do the wrap-the-needle trick for large cast on numbers too. For smaller cast ons, I just guess. :oops:

Karrying Kolor
10-19-2007, 04:19 AM
I really will have to try some of these ideas because I always just guess on the length I'll need. I'm usually prettty lucky with it and get it just about right.

But unfortunately I am also one who haes to waste even a couple of inches of yarn so if I guess wrong and have too much tail left I undo it and start over.

Sometimes I end up casting on 3 or 4 times before I get it at just the right length with only about 6 inches of tail left. I am weird that way.

Marjorie

Cast-on my gauntlets, I thought I would give you a peek at the end result of the double ended method:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/Felexia1/CAST-ON-BEG.jpg
This is the beginning of the cast-on with the pull end and free end tied.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/Felexia1/CAST-ON-END.jpg
This is the end result after clipping the free end and leaving a 4 inch tail.

No guessing...not waste!

I now you will find the method that works best for you!:hug:

dakatzmeow
10-19-2007, 08:45 AM
great pics. thanks! some of need a visual. ;)

cindygster
10-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Cast-on trick.

Genius!
that's a really good idea!!!!

Just so I have it right...you take the center pull end and tie it to the free end that wraps around the ball, cast on "x" number of stitches and then cut the outer-free end?

If I'm understanding you correctly, that really is genius!!!

Karrying Kolor
10-19-2007, 07:45 PM
You understand it perfectly!

I'd love to give credit where credit is due but I honestly can't remember where I picked the tip up...It may have been a "Knit-Bit" from Knitty Gritty...Either way, I'm sharing the knowledge! ;)