PDA

View Full Version : What Do People See You Doing While You Sit in Traffic?

auburnchick
10-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Ok...so while I was driving to work today, I happened to look over at the car beside me (when I stopped at a red light) and noticed that the lady (driver) was applying mascara. Of course, I looked down and chuckled as I saw my knitting in my lap and wondered what others might think if they glanced over too. (Granted, it's a simple booga bag, and I only knit a few stitches while the light was red.)

Anyhow, I was wondering...what do y'all do while sitting in traffic?

I know that I am sometimes on my cell phone, or you might even see me with a textbook in my lap, hoping to get a paragraph read (hey, they all add up eventually!).

kristinw
10-17-2007, 09:19 AM
A lot of times I am singing to my son :teehee:. I'm sure I look hilarious! Especially since they are all kid songs. We are especially fond of "Old MacDonald Has a Farm".

dustinac
10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Usually when the light is red or it's a stop sign... this is my moment to hand my daughter her cup, paper, blankie, or anything else she has dropped out of her reach :teehee:....

MamaMer
10-17-2007, 09:21 AM
A lot of times I am singing to my son :teehee:. I'm sure I look hilarious! Especially since they are all kid songs. We are especially fond of "Old MacDonald Has a Farm".

Um, yeah us too, only it is worse, bcs we sing to Baby Signing Time, which includes all those lovely signs to go with the rather catchy tunes:aww::teehee:

PurlyGyrl
10-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Well, around here we have only two traffic lights in town. :shrug:Mainly I've seen people cursing at each other :!!!:(one light is right by the courthouse) and people picking their nose. (Thank goodness we don't have a smilie for that!)

What a refined area I live in:rofl:

stirsmommy
10-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Well I really am never stuck in traffic. I don't get stopped at lights and when I do there is rarely anyone who could see me. If they could they would see me either talking to the kids or scribbling a note so that I remember one more thing at the store.

stitchwitch
10-17-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm usually sitting at the red light with my hand on the horn so I can blow it at the person in front of me reading, knitting, jotting down notes, applying mascara or otherwise not paying attention when the light finally turns green. :roflhard:

brendajos
10-17-2007, 11:59 AM
I don't get stuck at long lights anymore. When I did, I always pulled out my knitting and knit a few stitches. Now I have only have enough time to shoot out a text message before it turns green.

vaknitter
10-17-2007, 12:58 PM
HAHA - Stitchwitch I'm with you !!

I work in a univeristy town so I see a lot of people trying to eat cereal (yes, a bowl with cereal and milk balanced on the stearing weheel) and apply makeup. Did see a guy one morning that was using an electric razor.

and I might add, all of this while was in moving traffic, not just at a red light.

stitchwitch
10-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Some woman where my parents live got arrested for knitting and driving. I didn't see the story but my mom told me about it and asked if I did that. :teehee:

PurlyGyrl
10-17-2007, 01:04 PM
VaKnitter::noway: A BOWL OF CEREAL????? :passedout:

vaknitter
10-17-2007, 01:09 PM
First time I saw the cereal thing I was following her onto an entrance ramp to the "highway!" I have since found that many of our medical residents and one of our physical therapists do this on a regular basis so they can get up 15min later !!

I really should start knitting on the way to work - my hubby and I commute together and we usually just have silly conversations or see who can come up with a more annoying song to sing

Jan in CA
10-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Personally, I don't do anything. But the most common thing I see is people on cell phones and a few putting on makeup. The worst offenders are those that talk on a cell phone and put on make up at the same time while driving! :hair:

Itsabtme
10-17-2007, 01:26 PM
90% of my commute is Interstate driving......and I sing like I'm a soopah stah all the way here and back....45min to an hour each way....I'm sure people laugh at me...oh well its good for 'em;)

ladyjessica
10-17-2007, 01:28 PM
I once saw a guy next to me at a stop light petting the snake that was coiled around his neck. I DEFINITELY had to look twice at that one! :noway:

As for me, I usually just sing some showtunes. hehe.

stitchwitch
10-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Some of y'all must live in mello cities. If I'm a red light I'm too busy thinking "is that guy behind me eating the bowl of cereal going to stop?" "the light is green is the woman across the street putting on makeup going to stop or blow through the light?" People here drive like maniacs.

MamaMer
10-17-2007, 02:22 PM
First time I saw the cereal thing I was following her onto an entrance ramp to the "highway!" I have since found that many of our medical residents and one of our physical therapists do this on a regular basis so they can get up 15min later !!

Someone should tell them they make these bars with cereal and some sort of milk substitute in the middle. Much more portable!:teehee:

Personally, I don't do anything. But the most common thing I see is people on cell phones and a few putting on makeup. The worst offenders are those that talk on a cell phone and put on make up at the same time while driving! :hair:

Yikes! What are they holding the steering wheel with?!

Some of y'all must live in mello cities. If I'm a red light I'm too busy thinking "is that guy behind me eating the bowl of cereal going to stop?" "the light is green is the woman across the street putting on makeup going to stop or blow through the light?" People here drive like maniacs.

Yeah, here too. The worst part is that they take it personally if you honk at them to get going at a light when it turns green and you have been sitting there for a good 30 seconds waiting for them to finish their makeup or conversation or whatever. They also take it personally when you try to pass them when they are going slower than you:doh:

Sharly
10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Some woman where my parents live got arrested for knitting and driving. I didn't see the story but my mom told me about it and asked if I did that. :teehee:

Awww - poor thing - addictions are hard to handle! ;)

Thankfully, my hubby does all the driving on our commute, and I just knit away...sadly, it's really the only knitting time I get...

auburnchick
10-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Y'all are too funny! I just find such a waste of time to sit still for even five minutes without doing something! Heaven forbid I have to think about stuff. ;)

Doublereeder2
10-17-2007, 03:59 PM
We have lots of traffic here in the Dallas area. I have seen the nose pickers, texters, talkers, makeup artists, eaters, drinkers, readers, writers - you name it, they do it. Never a dull moment at a red light - or driving down Central Expressway!:teehee:

Abbily
10-17-2007, 04:17 PM
I've seen people shaving, or eating, and yes, I've seen people putting on makeup AND talking on the cell phone, too. Those people SCARE me!

Add me to the list of people singing kid songs and picking up lost books and things! :)

stitchwitch
10-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Grossest thing I ever saw was a woman who took out her dentures and licked the palate part and put them back in. All this while sitting in the middle lane with others around her. :roflhard:

Sharly
10-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Ewwwww!!!:shock:

gamerchik
10-17-2007, 05:27 PM
LMAO, Stitchwitch!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I will admit that I have been known to absentmindedly pick my nose in the car. My favorite thing is to catch other people doing it. The amount of people picking noses at red lights is simply staggering! :yay:

hummingbird
10-17-2007, 05:38 PM
I sing a lot in the car. Sometimes I talk on the cell. I don't sit around at green lights though.

jodstr2
10-17-2007, 06:07 PM
you will most likely see me singing while giving the car behind me a stink eye in the rearview mirror, hoping he/she will stop.

HollyP
10-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Today I totally grossed out my passenger by taking out my contact cleaning it and putting it back in at a really long red light. What can I say it was really bothering me and I had the solution in my car!:teehee:

I've seen a lot of nose pickers, and singers. My favorite was a guy who had to be 70 singing his heart to some song while doing the air guitar and head banging

Songbirdy
10-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Usually I see people looking back at me...

Here is a true story from this week at my house...

MY darling but not so swift son snuck his pet cat into our car when we went on a 2 hour car drive.

About 15 minutes into our journey I heard them giggling, but I couldn't figure out why. Turns out the cat was freaking out and slowly climbing up the back of the driver's seat.

So when I hit the brakes hard about 25 minutes into our journey to avoid the person weaving in the highway traffic... I got a not so happy cat on my HEAD!!!

I spent the rest of the trip with the cat clinging, claws and all in my leg, and praying furiously that it would stay down so that I wouldn't be seen by an OPP and pulled over!!!

You should see the marks on my leg!

debinoz
10-17-2007, 11:58 PM
We only have one stop light here and I tend to not look at the other people driving. I'm usually having a very loud discussion with the kids or trying to settle disagreements. When I'm by myself, I love to sing... not too loudly though, I'd hate to cause an accident!

gamerchik
10-18-2007, 02:03 AM

MY darling but not so swift son snuck his pet cat into our car when we went on a 2 hour car drive.

About 15 minutes into our journey I heard them giggling, but I couldn't figure out why. Turns out the cat was freaking out and slowly climbing up the back of the driver's seat.

So when I hit the brakes hard about 25 minutes into our journey to avoid the person weaving in the highway traffic... I got a not so happy cat on my HEAD!!!

I spent the rest of the trip with the cat clinging, claws and all in my leg, and praying furiously that it would stay down so that I wouldn't be seen by an OPP and pulled over!!!

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard:

KnittingNat
10-18-2007, 04:55 AM
I have a lot of traffic lights on my way to work, but i usually don't do anything except for singing with the radio or the CD. People here are very rude drivers, so you have to watch your front and back all the time!

Marj
10-18-2007, 06:03 AM
Mostly people see me singing at the top of my lungs at stoplights.

Yesterday morning though while driving home from work( I work 10PM to 6AM) I was hungry so I stopped at Dukin Donuts to buy an egg sandwich and was eating it while driving.

Well at the stoplight I was wondering what the person that pulled up next to me would of my eating while driving so I glanced over. To my surprise the woman in the car was to busyy to be looking at me.

She was eating something out of a cup with a spoon. It looked liked oatmeal or rice pudding or some such thing. LOL

So at least I didn't have to be embarassed about what I was doing.

Marjorie

PurlyGyrl
10-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Stitchwitch: yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck:ick:

Songbirdy::roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard: Good thing I had set my coffee down or it would be all over me. That's a freakin' funny story:rofl:

msoebel
10-18-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm a big dork. I sing and dance...until my 4 year old tells me to stop, because I am embarassing her.:aww:

People forget too often that there are WINDOWS in their cars. The other day I pulled up next to a college girl who was changing her shirt at the stop light. No bra. Very classy.:wink:

trollgirl
10-18-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm a fairly new driver, only got my license this July, so I don't feel confident enough to really do anything but drive. Sometimes I feel guilty taking my hands off the wheel.

I have, however, put on lipgloss/chapstick while at the stoplights. Something clear, or maybe pale pink, of course. I don't look in the mirror (just in case I miss a change in the situation around me) and it would really suck to have streaks of lipgloss all over my face.

I've also answered the cellphone while at the stoplight.

Oh. And! Sometimes I sing to music. I get too engrossed sometimes. The one time I actually failed to notice a police car signalling to get through. Didn't get a clue until I saw other cars moving out of the way.

GinnyG
10-18-2007, 01:47 PM
I can't believe no one said it......... nose picking!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe the number of people that pick their noses at red lights:oops:

BostonBecca
10-18-2007, 02:10 PM
If it is good music, I dance along.

If not, I make up stories about the other people around me.

KnitPrincess
10-18-2007, 02:13 PM
I have seen a couple (guy and girl) playing bop-it. It was kinda funny the girl was driving the light changed on her turn so guess she lost. That was in my mom-mom's nighborhood, I haven't seen anything interesting at the stop lights around mine.

auburnchick
10-18-2007, 02:17 PM
My favorite thing to do is "dance" in the car...especially when Shakira's song,"Oh Baby When You Talk Like That," comes on. It's even more fun when I'm taking my daughter and her friend(s) somewhere. All she has to do is hear the opening notes, and she knows she's sunk...especially if she's made me mad beforehand. Revenge is fun! Besides that, I fancy myself a sexy Latino dancer. :roflhard:

kemp
10-19-2007, 10:04 AM
I wonder what people think of me sometimes...I keep tweezers in my car. I always noticed I could see the stray eyebrow hairs so well there :teehee: I wait until I'm parked though!

Arielluria
10-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Well, I'm always knitting or studying my Bible if DH is driving........and ALWAYS listening to my iPod. Lately I've been knitting and driving too...:teehee:LOL! Yesterday traffic was bumper to bumper and 10mph so I was working on my Palindrome scarf for miles. LOL!

I have, too started keeping it on my lap for those red lights or heavy traffic...........

I saw a lady on TV who had no arms and drove with her feet and thought, wouldn't it be nice to learn to drive that way so we could knit ALL the time in the car?!? LOL!
:woot:

Sharly
10-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Oh Lu! That is such a scary thought!!! (On so many levels!!)
:lol:

Arielluria
10-19-2007, 11:05 AM

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

I once had a scorpion stow away in my tote bag and sting me while I reached in there to get something. Luckily it wasn't my first sting, so I didn't freak out, and luckily it was slow traffic.

My mom nearly FREAKED when I told her........but then again, she freaks easily.
:thud:

Arielluria
10-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Oh Lu! That is such a scary thought!!! (On so many levels!!)
:lol::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Abbily
10-19-2007, 12:42 PM
I wonder what people think of me sometimes...I keep tweezers in my car. I always noticed I could see the stray eyebrow hairs so well there :teehee: I wait until I'm parked though!

I frequently pluck my eyebrows at red lights... but only when the kids are not in the car. Hmm... probably not all that safe, really...:hmm:

kemp
10-19-2007, 02:47 PM
As long as you're at a red light, doesn't seem like a problem to me. Wonder what a police officer would do though if he saw something like that?

Arielluria
10-19-2007, 03:04 PM
My thoughts exactly...........which is why I kept an eye out for them. LOL!

Knitting_Guy
10-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Driving a big rig all over the country for a living I think I've seen it all. Trust me, sitting way up high like we are we can see everything in your cars.

People really should just focus on driving when behind the wheel, even when stopped at a light. If you're distracted doing something else you may not see that little kid or dog that just stepped in front of your car and is too short to see over the hood. They could still be there when the light changes.

Multi-tasking is the single biggest cause of accidents on the roadways. I see people flying down the road at 70+ mph reading books, eating cereal, and doing just about everything else but paying attention to their driving. They do not have the right to threaten the lives of other people with their inattention.

Ok, stepping off my soap box now.

Arielluria
10-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Very good and true points! I would never do anything like that at 70 mph!!!!!!!!! Traffic was literally crawling and mostly stopped when I was knitting on a one-lane highway.

KnitClickChick
10-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Usually I am just waiting for the light to change. On occasion, if my regular route to/from work happens to have been closed off due to an accident, and I am forced to go another way, you will probably see me bawling and frantic on the phone to my boyfriend, trying to get directions asap so I can figure out where the bleep I am and how to get home. His usual advice is: Don't worry, you can't get lost if you're still on Earth. :roll:

Braden
10-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Well, I'm always in the passenger seat, so either knitting or reading.

Debra Michelle
10-22-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm usually just singing...

I once passed a person on the highway who was driving and playing the tambourine, that's the strangest thing I've ever seen. He had this huge grin and was just jamming with the tambourine!

Knitting_Guy
10-22-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm usually just singing...

I once passed a person on the highway who was driving and playing the tambourine, that's the strangest thing I've ever seen. He had this huge grin and was just jamming with the tambourine!

Ok, so I've seen almost everything out here. :rofl:

cheesiesmom
10-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Well, lately, I've been saying a rosary on my way to and from work, but that's only about a 10 minute drive. I try not to pay much attention to what anyone else is doing.

jcmom
10-24-2007, 09:20 PM
I can say what I'm NOT doing........talking on a cell phone (don't own one:happydance:) drinking coffee, reading, putting on makeup, yelling at kids, changing CD's. Gosh, I must be paying attention to what's going on while I'm in the car....... Married to a former truck driver gave me a new appreciation for watching out for other drivers. Also, having a relative die in a totally preventable accident woke me up.
Be safe all.