PDA

View Full Version : A Good (and Cheap) DK yarn?

simplethings
10-17-2007, 05:58 PM
I want to make a nice sweater with a soft, but, relatively inexpensive DK weight yarn. Anyone have ideas?

My last sweater was in Cascade 220 which I think is an awesome workhorse yarn. Decent price, great yardage, available in almost any color, etc. Not the softest, but, it works well.

I bought enough Malabrigo for another upcoming sweater. This is also a great yarn in terms of price, yardage, and color... also it's super soft. ^_^

Both Cascade and Malabrigo are worsted, but, are prime examples of what I'm looking for in a DK. Any yarny suggestions?

Lady Violet
10-17-2007, 06:20 PM
you might want to look at knit picks' elegance. i haven't used it myself, but it's a silk/alpaca blend and it's $5.49 for 110 yards. i'm sure there's someone here on KH who has used it and can give you their opinion.

SabrinaJL
10-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Swish superwash from Knitpicks comes in a DK. It's a nice, soft yarn and pretty cheap ($3.29 for 123 yards).

bip
10-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Webs has a good price on Queensland Collection's Uruguay DK. I have used it for a scarf and a sweater and find it muy nice :)

JGM
10-18-2007, 12:24 PM
If you don't mind it not being superwash, Knit Picks Merino Style is super soft and great to work with.

suzeeq
10-18-2007, 01:04 PM
I find merino style not to be DK. It'll knit up at that gauge sure, but very dense. I'd call it a light worsted rather than a true DK.