PDA

View Full Version : Steeking to Shorten a Knitted Garment

bic
10-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi:
I am wanting to shorten a sweater about 5 inches to fit someone else. I am contemplating steeking because a hem would be way too bulky. Most of the directions for steeking that I have seen are for making sleeves for tube sweaters. How to steek to shorten a knitted garment?

Jan in CA
10-17-2007, 06:48 PM
I've never heard of steeking like that, but.. :shrug: Could you just take out the bind off or cast on at the bottom and frog it back to where you need it?

MrsDavis3
10-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Well, I sort of adapted one part of some kinds of steeking in order to shorten something in that I put two rows of machine stitching all around the bottom of a pullover which had been knitted cuff-to-cuff in order to cut off about 3 inches.

I wouldn't do that to shorten a garment knitted in the regular way. I would cut and unravel back, pick up and re-knit cuff, hem or whatever.

newamy
10-17-2007, 09:58 PM
It's my understanding you cannot unravel up from a cast on edge. However I read in an Elizabeh Zimmerman book that you make a small snip where you want to shorten-or slightly above if you will add a new ribbed edge. Unravel down. Pick up the stitches heading upward on a circular needle and knit your new edge down from there.

MrsDavis3
10-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Yes...that's what I did with the cuffs of a sweater (sleeves were knitted from top down). They were too long and I didn't like the way I finished them. I cut, and when I say above "unravel" I guess I meant "pick out"! I figured out a way to get stitches back on the needle and I knitted a new kind of cuff on a shorter sleeve. I'm not saying the process was neat or pretty! It wasn't! But the result was quite good.