PDA

View Full Version : Disillusionment whine

isabeau
10-17-2007, 07:35 PM
So in addition to the things I'm knitting for other people (theoretically to be done by the end of the year... practically to be done by the end of some unspecified year or other ;) ), I have things I want to make for myself. What I'm working on now is a set of wristwarmer things (I'm working on this (http://meangirl.blogspot.com/2006/10/spooky-cabled-armwarmers.html), with a different yarn, and slight modification to the pattern since my yarn seems to be a bit thicker). Am almost done with one...

...and I'm kind of staring at it like it's some sort of dead squid. The pattern itself isn't a problem, but the yarn's less soft than it felt like when I was groping* it in the store, and it's not as pretty as I was expecting; the color changes are very gradual, which is nice as it kind of blends together instead of being abrupt stripes, but it's /very/ gradual, in that I have six total stripes -- not counting transitions as separate stripes -- and while the yarn looked like a balance of blues and greys, I have one (fairly short) blue stripe and the rest are various shades of grey. And I just... I don't know. It's not as enthusiasm-making as it was when I started.

(I also can't decide whether it's better to start the second one -- assuming I do, and don't just give it up -- on the remains of the first ball of yarn, and join the new ball as appropriate, or start fresh and have two bits of leftover.)

(but really, that's kind of moot until I can figure out whether I want to finish.)

...this is really more of a whine/vent than anything else, but I figured at least some of the people here would understand...

:violin:

* yes, okay, "groped" sounds wrong, but really, it's the best term to describe it... ;)

shan
10-17-2007, 08:55 PM
That's disappointing.

Looks like a really nice pattern.

It's a bit saddening when we start with such enthusiasm, and then things just don't go the way we pictured.

Hope it ends up OK. At least they're not big enough that you need to spend too long making them.

Best wishes.

MrsDavis3
10-17-2007, 09:47 PM
I have definitely experienced what you are describing.
The usual factor causing disillusionment in the early stages of a project for me is disappointment in the way a yarn feels or knits up.
Disappointment can come at the end or after finishing as a result of a bad fit.

I am really moaning right now about a shawl I'm working on because I see that I missed a yarn over about 4 rows back, and that there is a yarn over where none belongs 2 rows back. This is a Faroese shawl with over 400 stitches cast on.