PDA

View Full Version : 8 ply???

knitgal
10-17-2007, 09:42 PM
So, I want to make this hat for my DBF: http://www.crumpart.net/patterns/chocribhatpattern.htm
My question is, what is 8 ply yarn? I have heard of ply of course, and I read an article about it, but I still don't "get" it.
I am only using one colour, probably black or grey (BORING!). The Noro it calls for for the stripes is worsted, so do I use worsted weight? Why the whole "8 ply" thing? Maybe someone can check what people on Ravelry are using to make it??? :)

Ingrid
10-17-2007, 09:59 PM
I'd just go with the worsted weight description. The knitter may have used 8 ply, but I don't think it's a requirement. It's just how many strands are twisted together to make the yarn.

knitgal
10-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks Ingrid...you're always there for me! My other question is how much should I buy? The pattern calls for 75g of 8 ply yarn, so how many yards/meters should I buy? Sorry for all the questions, but I've never encountered a pattern where it doesn't tell you the yardage.

Ingrid
10-17-2007, 10:29 PM
A 100 gram ball of wool, worsted weight, is usually about 200 yards.

IamtheWalter
10-17-2007, 10:46 PM
It's a bit confusing, but in some places, I know australia and new zealand are two of them, the word ply is used to describe yarn weight and has no bearing on how many plies the yarn is actually composed of.

I believe it came from the fact that somewhere at some time, a single ply was a standard size, so a thicker yarn had more plies and a thinner yarn had fewer plies.

Here's a page that discusses the conversions: http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/tips/convert.htm

According to it, an 8ply yarn is sport to dk weight.

Ingrid
10-17-2007, 11:11 PM
I based my conclusion that in this case the 8-ply was worsted because the stripes of Noro is worsted.:shrug:

IamtheWalter
10-18-2007, 02:25 AM
I was just trying to explain why it called for 8 ply yarn, since I had an issue with that a while back, stumbling onto a pattern from New Zealand, I think. Apparently eight ply yarn is the most common weight available there so that's why it's used so much. I didn't mean to suggest that she has to use dk weight yarn and worsted weight would probably work fine.

I did a bit of googling and found another site with a chart:
http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au/webcontent3.htm
In the second paragraph. It seems that eight ply would be more of a dk to light worsted than a sport to dk.

Sheridan
10-18-2007, 02:41 AM
It's a bit confusing, but in some places, I know australia and new zealand are two of them, the word ply is used to describe yarn weight and has no bearing on how many plies the yarn is actually composed of.

Well ya learn something new every day! I grew up in NZ and now live in Australia and I had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA that the rest of the world didn't describe their wool the way we do!!

8 ply is normal, 4 ply is thin - like for babies, 12 ply is thicker.

I am still amazed and surprised at what I have learned!! My head is spinning!!

I DO remember seeing a pattern that said how many yards I would need and I looked at the wool wrapper and it didn't tell me and I remember wondering if I had EVER seen it on a wool wrapper (now I know I mustn't have). I buy 50 gram balls usually and nearly always knit with 8ply, and usually the patterns tell me how many balls I will need.

I think I must have been using an overseas pattern where it stated the yardage.

Anyway, sorry, still reeling from what I have just learned!!

redwitch
10-18-2007, 07:28 AM
'8 ply is normal' - that doesn't help a foreigner! All it tells them is that 8-ply is very common for you!
1- and 2-ply are laceweight, 4-ply is sock wool, 3-ply is rare but it is in-between: like almost thick enough for socks. The you generally go up to 8-ply (which is about 22st/10cm I think).

knitgal
10-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Okay, now I'm even more confused! I guess I'll go with a worsted or light worsted??? It's a men's hat, so it wouldn't be too fine.

suzeeq
10-18-2007, 11:06 AM
That should be fine knitgal.

Sheridan
10-18-2007, 06:10 PM
*runs to get wool wrapper*

Okay, this 8ply ball of wool says that its 22 stitches to 10x10cm on 30 rows.

On size 4mm needles, which are 8UK and US6.

And for the very first time in my life I just notice that it says "DK" in very small letters where the needle sizes are. Dunno what that means, but hopefully you do knitgal.

And the balls of 8ply usually come in 50g balls and I just inspected the wool wrapper closely and it says its 95 metres (I just saw this!, we go in how many grams, not how many yards so I have never noticed it before).

So 75g would be a ball and a half, so 95metres plus 47.5 metres is 142.5 metres, so you need to convert that to yards, which is 156 yards.

There ya go!!

knitgal
10-18-2007, 08:40 PM
That is VERY helpful Sheridan. I think I need to use a Double Knitting (DK) weight or light worsted. In Canada we use centimetres and metres too, so I got ya ;) .
Thanks again everyone! I'm going yarn shopping tomorrow, so I'll hopefully find something to make this hat.