View Full Version : Can someone please tell me what this means?

10-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Back of a sweater:
Cast on 72 sts (incl. 1 edge st each side). Knit 2 rows of garter sts and then 2 rows of rib with 1 edge st and 2 K sts each side (seen from the RS)

10-18-2007, 09:21 AM

I would think it is the stocking knit stitch on each side.


10-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Garter stitch means to knit every row. Does it tell you exactly what the rib stitch pattern is? K2/P2, or otherwise? If the rest of this pattern is this vague, I might ditch it and try another. . .

10-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Assuming the edge stitch is always knit:

You cast on 72 stitches and work two rows of garter stitch (knit everything)
Then you do two rows of ribbing (presumably they have told you somewhere else what kind of ribbing )- BUT regardless of how the ribbing pattern goes, RS rows will always start with edge stitch, k2; and end with k2, edge stitch. Thus wrong side rows start with edge stitch, p2, and end with p2, edge stitch.

10-21-2007, 05:58 PM
It looks like they don't want the edges to curl. The knitted afghan patterns I have done have that on the sides, top, and bottom. That edges the whole piece in garter stitch so it lays flat.