PDA

View Full Version : What is your sickness?

msoebel
10-18-2007, 09:42 AM
I would bet that every one of us, as knitters, finds ourselves knitting up way too many of one certain item. Yes, we may be momentarily distracted by other projects, and we will all eventually make a sweater, a hat, a scarf, an afghan, etc...but there is that one thing that we just delight in knitting. So we knit it again, and again, and again, in all of it's lovely variations.

Mine is hats. I just love to knit hats. They are practical, they can be pretty, cool or fun, AND they are a quick knit, perfect for those days when you just want to feel like you accomplished SOMETHING.

I have also recently been turned on to booga bags. I've knit two in two weeks, and I am delighted by them...although I haven't gotten around to my first ever felting.

What is your knitting ailment? I am betting a high percentage say socks or dishcloths!:teehee:

dustinac
10-18-2007, 09:47 AM
:teehee: Socks for me...I always have one on the needles... I also really enjoy lace work...but it's something I can only do at certain times (when kids are asleep and dh is diddling on the computer)...so it takes me longer to get those items finished...

Plantgoddess+
10-18-2007, 09:51 AM
mittens. I have made them for all my x-country ski buddies, plus several pair for myself.

lizardknits
10-18-2007, 11:23 AM
scarves

I love to knit scarves

that Is all that I knit (well, besides the blanket that I started and the blanket that I am seaming...oh and the hat I have yet to start as my first non-flat item)

I love to make fun fur scarvescloud9

they make great gifts

p.s. when I first saw the title....i was thinking "huh??!!!??":teehee::aww:

cranberry
10-18-2007, 11:37 AM
My sickness would for sure be planning and arranging what I'm going to knit next. I have it planned out through Feburary exactly what I will knit (But I change it frequently :) ) Ravelry has only enabled me further!

I don't have one thing I like to knit though. I've knit quite a few scarves, but I don't think it's a sickness quite yet.

Silver
10-18-2007, 12:22 PM
I really feel like I'm an equal opportunity obsessive knitter. Either my interests are very diverse, or I'm just easily distracted because I seem to get obsessed about all sorts of projects. This week it might be lace, next week it could be socks, and next month it might be fair isle. I think it depends on which direction the wind is blowing! :teehee:

cindygster
10-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Being new to knitting as I am, my ailment is wanting to tackle EVERY pattern I see!! I've got like 50 patterns stored away in a folder in my knitting bag (which I just bought at Joann.com and it is AWESOME!), and I have neither the time nor the funding to support what is obviously my newest addiction. Lol!!!! I can't wait till I have a specific garment "ailment"!!:woohoo:

cindygster
10-18-2007, 12:27 PM
scarves

I love to knit scarves

that Is all that I knit (well, besides the blanket that I started and the blanket that I am seaming...oh and the hat I have yet to start as my first non-flat item)

I love to make fun fur scarvescloud9

they make great gifts

p.s. when I first saw the title....i was thinking "huh??!!!??":teehee::aww:
Lol!! I had that same thought when I saw the topic title!

GiddyKnitter
10-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Socks for me too xx

rachejm
10-18-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm a scarf person at the moment, but then again I haven't tried knitting much else yet. I really want to try socks, I feel a trip to House of Fraser coming on!

Songbirdy
10-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Hmm...

I love quick knits of any sort...

But I think my sickness is patterns... Love patterns...

Ironically I almost never knit the pattern as is... must always alter it... but I love patterns :)

scout52
10-18-2007, 01:14 PM
My sickness is i can't walk by yarn without buying some. really, i can't. i have to avoid the store altogether in order not to buy yarn. i won't even have a pattern in mind. i just find the yarn beautiful and always buy enough for a sweater.

mwhite
10-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Mine is bags...today!!! I do love afghans, too! I full/felt the bags and can't resist making JUST ONE MORE, to see if I can control the sizing and shape with the knit structure. And afghans just because I love them!

ladyjessica
10-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Bags.

I just love bags.

I find all these wonderful patterns for scarves and sweaters and blankets, but then I do another bag. I don't know why. hehe. :X:

MerigoldinWA
10-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Baby sweaters is my worst addiction and if I get started on hats they can be a real disease. LOL

Jenn_Knitter
10-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Socks and Knitty's Calorimetry are always my "standby" projects. I can't seem to knit enough. I keep all of my patterns in one of those accordion file organizers and I have more sock and hat patterns than anything else. I think I have all of two sweater patterns in there LOL

tootie44
10-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Socks, socks, and more socks!!!

Ingrid
10-18-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm a yarn buyer, too. I can't resist a nice yarn on sale.

figaro
10-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Washcloths, I have made quite a few for my friends and family. And I started making some for my self but smaller versions. The big ones, well when I am washing dishes, I just don't like water flicking at me! I also have a lot of cotton, not sure if I will use it all but I sure do like it!

I also like to plan for projects, then I start them and loose my confidence and they either sit there forever or I frog it to try another time.

threesmom
10-18-2007, 07:43 PM
:hiding:sweaters. I don't know why. But I see them, and feel like I must make one.

To the point where I almost forget about hats, scarves, washcloths ... I have a hard time not buying yarn in sweater amounts. Sweaters for me, sweaters for my children, god help me, a sweater for my huge dh ....

And I must note, it's not like I finish them particularily quickly or anything ....

tropicallie
10-18-2007, 08:09 PM
TANK TOPS! I love em. I drool over all the beautiful sweaters others make but they're not practical for the 2-3 weeks of day time temps less than 60 degrees we see in Florida. So I therefore am addicted to tanks. And they're a quick knit as a general rule.

Carol_OH
10-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Socks and hats...I STILL haven't finished a sweater yet! :(

bellium
10-18-2007, 08:15 PM
my sickness isn't a knitted item, it's alpaca yarn. i can smell it as soon as i walk into a shop. i am powerless to resist its soft, fuzzy charms. i currently have enough alpaca yarn in my stash to knit....well, and alpaca or two, probably. i can't control myself.

cheesiesmom
10-18-2007, 09:17 PM
I love knitting socks, but I really hate being forced into knitting stuff I don't want to deal with. Maybe it's selfish, but I don't want to knit some sweater for some new born of the dtr of someone I work with, or a pair of mittens for my co-worker's kid. Currently I'm doing a poncho for the other secy's 5-y-o dtr and I hate it. I just wanna knit my socks. I appreciate them like no one else will ever appreciate a pair of mitts or a poncho. I hate doing that. Am I too much of a b***h?

Gladys

giedre11
10-18-2007, 09:35 PM
I am in love with sweaters too, well mainly jackets or coats. I can't seem to pass up a jacket pattern without buying the yarn for it!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-19-2007, 12:36 AM
for now it's dishcloths... although i'm rapidly seeing socks becoming addictive... i cast on my first one EVER tonight. I"m using the basic sock pattern on page 8 of "Learn to knit socks" in the sensations bellezza collection stellina (the color just says purple... but it's a medium lavender with a silver thread running through it)... it's a wool blend and given it hasn't bothered my hands, i'm hoping i'll be able to wear them (if i can wear them... i like to save the firsts of things i make LOL)

Sunny_Singer
10-19-2007, 01:58 AM
scarves, hot pads and coasters *the things people slide under glasses on furniture*. I couldn't find a pattern for the latter... so I am adjusting potholder and hot pad patterns to create them.
I am making some double thick for hot mugs and some thinner for cool drinks.

They are a great way to practice stitches and stitch patterns too.