PDA

View Full Version : need size 19 dp needles

Suziblues
10-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I've been looking for some size US 19 double pointed knit needles.............and having a hard time finding some!

The largest I've found so far is a pair of size 17.

Anybody know where I could buy some?

THANK YOU,
sue

fargo_knitting
10-18-2007, 01:16 PM
http://www.glory-ousknits.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=NDPT&keywords=all&template=Templates/NDPT_storebuilder.html

Check out this website. They have a pair. You may want to look into finding a dowel and making double points out of that. Bring your needle size finder with you to the hardware store and find the right size. Sharpen the ends to points, sand them smooth, and rub wax paper on them.

Jan in CA
10-18-2007, 03:29 PM
NINETEEN!? :passedout: What are you making??

Suziblues
10-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Yea, 19! lol! :roflhard:

I want to make this hat out of the Twinkles Big City Knits Book.

A lot of the stuff use size 17, but this hat uses 19. The hat is really cute, my daughter wants me to knit it for her.

sue

Jan in CA
10-18-2007, 08:25 PM
The hat is really cute, my daughter wants me to knit it for her.

Wow, with needles that big you probably only have to CO like 30 stitches! :teehee:

brendajos
10-18-2007, 08:33 PM
yeah my suggestion is just to go out to the tree outside and hack off a branch... :hiding:

suzeeq
10-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Or use 36" circulars and do a Magic loop. They're more available than dpns in that size.

Suziblues
10-19-2007, 09:44 AM
LOL! ....break a branch of a tree...!LOL :roflhard:

Yep, I only have to cast on 32 stitches for this hat.
I was tempted to use the towel bars in my bathroom...ya know, those wooden bars that hold up the towels? I happen to notice yesterday that they're the perfect size. Just rip them off the wall and file the ends to a point. Everybody around here just throws the damn towels on the floor anyway.

My sweet husband said he could make me some really nice ones. He has a bunch of those large, noisy wood working tools. He said it would be no problem. yay!

Maybe an old broom handle....?

sue

Suziblues
10-19-2007, 09:45 AM
sue,
I have NO idea what a magic loop is. It sounds pretty cool though. Maybe I'll have to check it out.

THANX for the suggestion,
sue

suzeeq
10-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Go to the Advanced Techniques tab at the top of the page and find it under Small Diameter knitting. There's a video that demonstrates it.

kemp
10-19-2007, 12:27 PM
LOL! ....break a branch of a tree...!LOL :roflhard:

Yep, I only have to cast on 32 stitches for this hat.
I was tempted to use the towel bars in my bathroom...ya know, those wooden bars that hold up the towels? I happen to notice yesterday that they're the perfect size. Just rip them off the wall and file the ends to a point. Everybody around here just throws the damn towels on the floor anyway.

My sweet husband said he could make me some really nice ones. He has a bunch of those large, noisy wood working tools. He said it would be no problem. yay!

Maybe an old broom handle....?

sue

Cool! It's nice to have a handy hubby. Just find the right size dowel (you can find all kinds at hobby lobby, michaels, etc) and have him cut them to the length you prefer and put points on the ends.

Jan in CA
10-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Make sure he uses a nice find sandpaper though to smooth them.. nothing like splinters in either your fingers or knitting.. :shifty:

:teehee:

candicane
10-19-2007, 02:56 PM
I am making the Groovy Sweater Dress from Twinkle Big City Knits. I have also knit the Best Friend Cardigan. Both used size 19 needles.

I am knitting the patterns in the round to avoid ginormous seams. I started off using 2 circulars for the sleeves, but hated the stiff cables on my cheapy plastic needles (susan bates from Michaels and Joanns). So, I bought extra needles and lopped of the cords... and now they are DPNs. Well sort of, the end where you chop the cord off is more blunt, but you only knit with one end at a time anyway.

candice

G J
10-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Who needs a handy hubby? (If someone calls and asks if my husband is handy, I say, "Not really, but he's here if you need him!"):roflhard:

(He has other talents!)

Get a dowel (bring your needle sizer thingy to the hardware store) and use an art-pencil sharpener (they have HUGE sizes) to make your point. Then use sandpaper to smooth, ending with VERY fine paper for an ultra-smooth finish. If you don't have a pencil sharpener, your local school's art room would have one.