PDA

View Full Version : help

molovekayak
10-19-2007, 12:53 AM
So I finished my first hat today. And it looks bad. It got so tight towards the end that my fingers are blistered. I could barely knit anymore. It just looks bad. How so I get it from becoming so tight? I really could barely fit the needle through. My poor fingers. Coud someone give me some ideas?

suzeeq
10-19-2007, 12:58 AM
You must have tightened up your tension as you went along. Try practicing knitting loosely, or with really large needles.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-19-2007, 01:07 AM
i agree with Sue... it's harder (as i'm finding out with the sock i cast on tonight... newbie sock knitter here) with the fewer stitches i had to keep sliding back and forth on the size 3 dpn's i'm using.. next time either try and relax (taking a break sometimes helps) and stretch your needles or double check how you're holding the yarn and keeping your tension...

merchgirl
10-19-2007, 10:30 AM
i don't know if this applies to you, as i don't know what method you were using, but for myself, when i knit on dpns, my stitches just get tighter and tighter till i can't do it anymore. so i used amy's magic loop tutorial and started knitting that way, and it solved my tightness problems!

cranberry
10-19-2007, 11:26 AM
What needles were you knitting with? Some knit differently on say, bamboo compared to metal.

Were you afraid they would fall out? Does this happen when you're not knititng in the round?

Here is a good article: http://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/FEATloosenup.html

If you're really having trouble, is there a LYS or someone you can see for help? Blisters are pretty extreme, and I'm wondering if it's something that could be easily fixed.