PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Knitting yet anyone?

ChristyH
10-19-2007, 08:47 PM
I have been trying to knit most of our Christmas presents. Some knit up so fast or at least fast for me, that my hands are tired.

What are you knitting for gifts?

I am knitting socks for my aunt, slippers for my grandmother, socks for my daugther, and hopefully some kind of fuzzy slipper socks for my sons. Oh I forgot, slippers for my mother and maybe a hat.

Christy

brittyknits
10-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Am I going to make myself unpopular around here to admit I'm all done?:) Mostly scarves and mittens this year. I just get so panicked that I'll end up finishing it all on Christmas Eve, that I end up getting it done by Hallowe'en:teehee:.

stirsmommy
10-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Let's see, I have one damask bag done, one pair of clogs, the first of another pair done, some facecloths done but I have a lot more to do. Another bag or two, two shawls, finish clogs, a two sweaters, a Christmas stocking and a couple of scarves. Hope I get it done soon.

isabeau
10-19-2007, 09:13 PM
I have two things -- a kitten and a doubleknit hotpad thing -- done, which is way early for me; and a third -- a pair of socks -- about 2/3 done. I have a bunch of things on my christmas list (more socks, gloves, a tea cosy, possibly other things) but no idea if I'll get them done in time. Or, uh, ever :oo:

I'm so proud of myself this year for actually starting on crafty christmas things before December. heh.

annomalley
10-19-2007, 09:26 PM
I went on a dishcloth tear over the summer and they're going to my mom for Christmas. The colors will go with her newly remodeled kitchen. That's pretty much it for this year. I'm probably going to work on things over the next twelve months for next Christmas. If I put too much pressure on myself to knit gifts in a short amount of time, I won't get it done.

Mulderknitter
10-19-2007, 09:33 PM
After the first year or two of knitting you start to realize that if you are going to accomplish your knit xmas goals, you need to start in may or june. no kidding. My mom's scarf and mittens were done 2 months ago, my grandpaerents matching scarfs last month. my DH scarf was done a few weekends ago, and I am just waiting to go to the lys for the hat yarn. my stepdad has nothing because he promised me a spinner to supply the yarn for his gift and I have nothing yet. xmas knitting starts in May:hair:

ecb
10-19-2007, 11:13 PM
finished one pair of Mittens, and one pair (my first ever) of Socks
half done one pair of socks, and a Scarf, and a sweater and a Hat
ecb

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-19-2007, 11:45 PM
I knitted and finished one purse, one scarf and was about 2/3 finished with a pair of slippers.. before I hurt my hand.. and that injury has put a stop to the knitting process.

At least, I had started early this year- or there'd be NOTHING finished!

This might be all that I get finished? Hopefully, I'll at least get the slippers finished in a few weeks time?

THEN, I guess.. I'll be shopping for purchased gifts for the rest of my list.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-20-2007, 12:11 AM
working on a shawl for my adoptive mom... maybe some wool socks for her too (her "craft" room is in her basement and she always complains her feet are always cold). prolly scarves for the kids.

Sunny_Singer
10-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Wow, I have a lot finished and I started in October.... not in spring.

I have completed 6 scarves - 3 dropped yarn over, 2 on the bias and 1 is knitted lengthwise. I have completed hot pads and coasters for my sister and brother in law.. still working on those. I have 2 more hot pads and 4 more coasters planned for them. I have completed 3 hot pads for MIL, need the right colors to complete the hot pads for her dining room, these three match her kitchen. Waiting on an order to finish that. I completed a car seat cushion for hubby's bday which is this week.

Working on a shawl and a 10 foot long scarf at the moment.

Then to knit a rug for my brother in law and his wife.

After that - I am not sure what I am doing.... got some puzzlers in my gift list yet.

Pink Dandelion
10-20-2007, 01:02 AM
*wails* Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Jan in CA
10-20-2007, 01:20 AM
I've got a pair of fingerless mitts done, but that's it so far and I'm almost done with a felted bag. It'll need lining and handles, too. I'm not really doing too much though. Maybe next year I'll start earlier. :doh:

HollyP
10-20-2007, 01:32 AM
Nope not one thing. I am very impressed that some people are done already!:yay: I am seriously planning on starting next year's gifts now and giving everyone gift certificates. I keep hoping to have more time to knit but I really don't see that happening anytime soon. Maybe I should just revise my knit list to something a little more doable!:teehee:

WandaT
10-20-2007, 07:43 AM
I'm far from done, but have put a dent in my list. My problem is that I'm never done. If I finish my original list, I decide I have more time so I add to it. I've done quite a few stockings (crocheted) and scarves but have lots more to do on my list. I just finished my first Palindrome scarf and need to make the hat to go with it for a gift. I am also planning on making a felted bowl, some felted oven mitts, some dishcloths and some wine cozies along with a couple of felted purses. I actually started in the spring, but have done some things for myself and birthdays along the way too.

losnana
10-20-2007, 08:26 AM
I knit for only a few people- those who appreciate the time and effort. I'm making a horse for one dgd, which just has to be seamed and stuffed; a pig for another dgd, which has yet to be started; and socks for my sister. That last is a little iffy, as I'm not sure she'll see socks as much of a gift. You know how some non-knitters are. I'm not doing anything for my dd, since I just finished her Wallaby.
I've promised myself to start earlier next year. Oh for more hours in a day!!

dip's mom
10-20-2007, 08:27 AM
I have finished two scarves from Victorian Lace Today. I have a 3rd one to do but have started two different scarves 6 times with Rowan Kid Silk Haze and goof it up each time so I have abandoned the yarn -- it is a beautiful yarn but about impossible to fix any mistakes in and very hard to find the mistakes in the first place. So I am moving on to the log cabin type scarf that was featured in Knitting Daily -- I was going to do it for myself after the holidays but I will do one for my sister and hopefully have yarn left to do one for me. It is the same type of yarn (kid mohair by crystal palace) but no lacey pattern -- only knit. So hopefully it will go well. I want to be done by Thanksgiving as that is when I will be traveling home to see everyone.

cftwo
10-20-2007, 09:58 AM
I've finished 3 or 4 scarves, and I think that's going to be it.

Jax3303
10-20-2007, 10:08 AM
I started Christmas knitting a few months ago. I'm doing an afghan for my parent's gift, and I knew I'd be knitting for a few peoples gifts so I wanted to get a BIG head start on it. That afghan is about 75% done. I've finished a montego bay scarf for one sister, almost finished with some monkey socks for my other sister, I have a cardigan about 50% done for one of my 3 yr old niece, and I still have to start a cardigan for my 2 yr old niece, and I'm having DH knit a scarf for my BIL.

laptop_knitter
10-20-2007, 10:13 AM
heh, ordered my christmas yarn last night. I've committed to berroco's Granite top for my mum, knitty's cleaves for my 15 yr sister and a mohair cap and scarf for 14 yr old sister. Luckily I'm home all day everyday, so I should get it done :pray:

Eekee
10-20-2007, 11:47 AM
I've knit two pairs of socks, and one stocking. I have 3 stockings left, plus the sleeves of a sweater, a scarf and something (don't know what yet) for my youngest son. I might make a wrap for my mom. Then I'd keep the socks I knit her!

mrslevite
10-20-2007, 12:11 PM
I've made a couple of scarves and a pair of socks for the girls. Have the yarn for another pair, just haven't started. I'm taking a break from working with the little thread and little needles and am working on facecloths now. I'm going to give them to my mother and sister as a gift set with some fancy soaps and lotion and such. I don't know what I'll do for my inlaws, if anything. They may get a nice card this year.

debinoz
10-20-2007, 03:23 PM
I've got most of mine done, but can't figure out what to make for the kids. I cave 4, 3, 2, 1 yo's to make for. Boys and girls, any ideas?

lelvsdgs
10-20-2007, 11:25 PM
I've only recently jumped back into knitting so I won't be able to do much for Christmas this year. I am going to do a pair of socks for my DSO and either a beret or a pair of fingerless gloves for my DD. I am planning on doing a scarf for the secret Santa at work as well. I'm hoping to do more but I am finishing up a sweater for DSO for his birthday at the end of this month.:roflhard: Yeah, not too ambitious...

dustinac
10-21-2007, 09:39 AM
:tap:I was suppose to be done... enjoying knitting this fall for me...but for some reason this month has turned into knitting more for Christmas and the list keeps growing....:teehee:

bitchknitty
10-21-2007, 12:15 PM
:tap:I was suppose to be done... enjoying knitting this fall for me...but for some reason this month has turned into knitting more for Christmas and the list keeps growing....:teehee:

I know what you mean.....I'm knitting right now for a craft show in Dec. But, the Christmas knitting just keeps PILING up. Last count, 4 scarves, 3 bags, 5 hats, and 3 pairs of gauntlets to go....I'll NEVER get there!!!!!

rorygilmore
10-21-2007, 12:36 PM
I haven't start yet but I have projects planned! I'm going to knit two pairs of felted clogs, and a cat bed so far. I have to dye yarn for the cat bed and I just ordered yarn for one pair of clogs today.

cindygster
10-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Being the optimistic procrastinator that I am, I would like to make an afghan for my dad (optimism), however I'll prolly end up making him a scarf (procrastination). I've actually picked out both...in case I get obsessively motivated, I have an afghan pattern. But if I wait till Dec. 20 which is far more likely for me (lol) I'll be going with the scarf.

knitting4-2girls
10-21-2007, 01:55 PM
I have started knitting for Christmas. And when I think I am actually getting some stuff done and getting a good feeling for having everything done. Then I find another pattern that I have to knit for someone. So far, I have done 1 scarf, 2 felted clogs, 2 child's tams, and 1 cowl to match the tam. What I still have to finish is another pair of clogs, 2 more cowls and 2more tams, finish my palindrome scarf, dishcloths for teacher gifts, and maybe do a couple of purses (bags) for neices. So much to do and so little time.

LauraD
10-21-2007, 04:11 PM
I am fairly proud of myself...I have at least started! I am 66% done with my afghan for my MIL. Completed a Rainy Day Scarf and Calorimetry for SIL...except for the button...okay when I write it out it doesn't seem like so much!

Yarnlady
10-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Let's see I have the two October birthday gifts done (mittens & scarf).

I have the November birthday gift done (shrug).

I have two of the three December birthday gifts done (legwarmers, fulled slippers, almost one sock of a pair).

I have eight of the fifteen Christmas gifts done (two pairs of fulled clogs, a set of felted balls, Knitty's Jackyll & Hide, three sets of fulled slippers and a hat).

And that's just the family....haven't thought about teachers, family friends.... ::::heavy sigh:::

ChrisM318
10-21-2007, 09:48 PM
I have knitted tons of wash clothes over the summer. I always use those for gifts. I also have finished 2 Irish hiking scarves for my adult nephews, hope they like them. I am working on a plummy colored with a fleck of sparkle scarf for my mom. I am planning on something for teachers but haven't figured out yet. I think a snowman, have a cute pattern for that.

knitgal
10-21-2007, 09:48 PM
I was hoping that I would get to do some knitting for Christmas gifts this year, but I'm not sure that I can get everything done! I was going to make a throw for my BF's mom, but last time I was there she was having a lot of hot flashes and I don't know if she'd appreciate anything that would keep her warm!
My BF's mom then asked me to make her mom(his grandma) an afghan for Christmas...I guess I have 2 months, but it still doesn't seem like very long. I'm thinking I'll use a big needle and chunky yarn and whip it off as quickly as possible! I'm searching for patterns as I browse the forums.
Maybe next year I'll be able to get more done. By then I'll be a better knitter and maybe everyone will get sweaters! (HA!)

msoebel
10-22-2007, 11:10 AM
I am half done. At least, that is what I am telling myself.

I made a log cabin throw for my mil...it's done except for one side's border.

I have knitted and felted two of the booga bags I am making for Christmas. I just need to assemble them...poke the holes through and then string the handles. I added a few extras to each...one my sister in laws, I knitted and felted a flower to sew on the front, and on my sister's I added a flap/strap that will be brought over the top of the person, and then buttoned. I need to sew on the flower and the button.

I am 3/4 complete with mom's water bottle holder...it's a small project, but it's what she BEGGED for. Just have to finish the bottomw and seam it up. I haven't started her cell phone holder (although, she lost the one I gave her last year, so maybe she doens't get another!!!!)

I am 1/4 done with another booga bag.

That leaves 3 booga bags to be started and finished. It's all knitting up much faster than I thought it would...and I am enjoying the bags so much that I have no doubt I will be finished by early December. I started the afghan 6 weeks ago...and didn't start the booga bags until 3 weeks ago.

Cecily
10-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi:
I have been working on a scarf and hat set for my brothers, girlfriends - 5 year old son. The yarn is wonderful, it is so soft and fluffy. It is Lion Brand (can't remember the type but it is kind of a velour type). I am doing it in black to match his winter coat. I would like to do some bead work for some Xmas presents and I am working on a crocheted quilt for warm up america.
Busy busy busy.

Make someone's day, knit them something!

Cecily

chie96
10-23-2007, 11:55 AM
I just learned to knit about a month ago, but I already have big plans! :knitting:

DH: afghan (my 1st FO ever was a birthday scarf for him two wks ago)
DDs (2): ponchos (not sure of the patterns or colors yet)
Dad: Black & gold basket-weave scarf (for Wake Forest University)
Mom, Bio-mother, and MIL: scarves (probably this one (http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?craft=Knit&search=Search&searchText=road+scarf)in Wool-Ease Ranch Red or Red Sprinkles for Mom, Fisherman or Wheat for Bio-mother, and Cranberry for MIL)
Nephews (2): not sure, but would like to make cute boy-dolls (they are 3 and 1), or possibly a scarf and hat combo
Niece: same as nephews (she is 3 also)I have no idea HOW I am going to get all of this done, but I am certainly going to try!!!

Rayadragon
10-23-2007, 12:17 PM
I (stupidly) volunteered to replace all of our old tinsel garland with knit garlands made with fun fur type yarn. Wouldn't have been so bad, but now my parents are talking about putting the tree up during the first week or so of november... At least let it get to thanksgiving first! I'm pretty far along into my stash of yarn, but there's no way I'll finish all of it by that time. They've still got plenty to use.

Besides that, I'm working two scarves, one for my grandmother and one for a friend. I'm also planning on knitting some lace chokers with crochet thread for a different friend. My mom wants a crocheted throw, but she's generously let me off the hook until mother's day (expecially seeing as how she was the main parent who wanted the knit garlands).

DoulaLyndsey
10-23-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm doing pretty well this year. I swore that I wouldn't put knitted presents off until last minute like I did last year (cast off on Christmas eve!). So far I've done:

- Moonlight Sonata shawl for MIL
- Luna Moth Shawl for mom
- skull wristwarmers for DH
- hat for my sister
- scarf for my aunt
- Clapotis for grandma

And I've got plans for

- socks for step dad (casting on today!)
- felted bag with music notes for cousin
- scarf for sister