PDA

View Full Version : Advice, please: signed up for Iris Schreier workshop, but...

MrsDavis3
10-19-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm going to Atlanta this weekend and I'm signed up for a workshop with Iris Schreier, BUT

I received 9 editions of her Artyarns Newsletter which gave instructions for knitting exercises for learning the basics of her method. They came from February to July, but I haven't done any of them. I meant to do them before I go to this thing, but I just didn't get to it. I wonder...will it be a waste of time for me to go, not knowing the first thing about her method? Should I force myself to go through some of those exercises first in order to get something out of the workshop on Sunday?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-19-2007, 09:01 PM
I think if you have to FORCE yourself, it probably isn't worth your time.

If you just glance through the newsletters and semi-familiarize yourself with the method you should be fine... she's probably going to detail her method in the class, right? Are you expected to go in knowing what to do?

brittyknits
10-19-2007, 09:07 PM
I sincerely doubt you are the only one who isn't going to come prepared:teehee:. I think if you can find a minute to try the stuff in the newsletter, that would be great, but even if not, I'd go-- you never know what you might learn or be inspired by! At the very least, you will probably make friends with all the other people who didn't do the homework:).

MrsDavis3
10-20-2007, 08:25 AM
I was able to do lesson 1 last night. It was quick, you just cast on 10 stitches and make a right triangle, then an attached equilateral one. I think lesson two continues with the same swatch. It takes 3 hours to drive to Atlanta, so...I should be able to do a few more lessons, unless it gets very complicated.

Even if I'm not prepared, I know that a copy of her new book and a skein of Artyarns handpainted silk yarn is included in the fee I have already paid. Plus, I have a store credit at Knitch to use. I have never been to the store! Even if I can't do the workshop stuff, I will come out ahead!

I love yarn.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-21-2007, 01:09 PM
I love yarn.

*sigh* me too :)