PDA

View Full Version : Stitches: knitting conference

feministmama
10-20-2007, 01:31 AM
So I got a brochure inthemail today for the stitches West knitting conference. THe price of classes is outRAGEOUS and then they charge you $30 to go to the market floor and you only get an hour!!!! Is there an admission charge to get in as well?

I should arrange a knitting conference and charge half as much and I'll get more people. Yeesh!!!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-21-2007, 01:10 PM
WHATTTTTTTTT! I don't remember it being that expensive for stitches midwest. That's nuts.

Guess you'll just have to move out here Femmy; it's much cheaper :teehee:

felted-bag
10-21-2007, 05:32 PM
On page 18 of my Stitches West brochure, it says the markets for one day is $8, $12 for a two day pass and $16 for 3 day pass. The early bird fashion tickets are $30.

marykz
10-21-2007, 06:53 PM
are you sure? our conference at EAST wasn't that much, and the same people run it all over. if you took one class you got in the market free. I didn't find the 3 hour class price (about $80) any worse than any other hands-on knitting (or any other kind of tuition) class. 6 hour classes, sensibly, cost more.

and there were no knitting police kicking people out of the market after 1 hour. the preview night of the market was only 2 or 3 hours long, but it was open all day for the rest of the weekend. The market only price was less that $10, and there were discount codes floating around for that too.

major conferences aren't cheap to put on, once you have paid for marketing, staffing, the website, the venue, security costs, guaranteed hotel rooms, and paid teachers. it was well run, and my registration problems were fixed without anyone batting an eye on site.

felted-bag
10-22-2007, 02:14 AM
There are thousands of knitters at the Stitches market so there is no way they could kick people out after an hour plus the vendors would rebel! I usually spent 3-4 hours at the market on Friday and again on Saturday. I don't do the classes -- I just go for the market.