PDA

View Full Version : What's the oldest unfinished knitting project that you have?

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-20-2007, 08:48 AM
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/iwouldratherbeknitting/knitting068.jpgCome OK fess up.

Mine: A sweater coat that is almost finished- but, I've moved several times w/ it.. to different countries no less and now one of the knitting needles is lost (It was knit on huge hunking metal needles) and the pattern is now lost too. I think I only need to knit the sleeves, sew it together, add the collar, and buttons?

I used some nice tweedy wool, that I bought in Italy, in shades of dark blue and carried a navy mohair and knitted both together.

AND.. the age of it? Oh my.. at least since 1998.

I'll see if I can find a photo to add later.

knitqueen
10-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Oh wow, 1998!!!! :noway: That's amazing!

I've only been knitting since 2004 (I think) so my UFO's aren't nearly as old as yours are, and I tend to go on a ripping binge every now and then where I take things apart that are unfinished, that I KNOW will remain unfinished. So at the moment I only have the cabled cardigan (http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=2193&PHPSESSID=e6688a031b3040877bffc45306a38adc) that I'm currently working on and am just about finished, then I will go back to a feather and fan throw that hasn't been worked on since spring. So that makes my oldest UFO only about 6 months old.

dustinac
10-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Ok now I don't feel so bad :teehee:...

I've only had the Fabulous Lace Inset (http://www.sweaterbabe.com/product_kp23.htm)on the needles for almost a year....Only the back has been worked on... one day I'll get back to making it for me...:happydance:

cheley
10-20-2007, 11:41 AM
One shoebox with 24 crochet granny squares....One baby kimono (the baby is now 3 years old...) Who can beat this???

Eekee
10-20-2007, 11:44 AM
I've only been knitting since January. I have a baby blanket that I started in May. It's half done.

feministmama
10-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I have a cardigan I started in 1998 that I messed up and need to fix and I need to get more yarn too. I sometimes hear it crying from the back of my closet. :cry:

fargo_knitting
10-20-2007, 01:18 PM
I have a top down pullover sweater that I have been working on for over a year now. It is made out of Cherry Tree Hill Oceania. I bought the yarn because it was a huge (over 1000 yards) hank that is hand painted and has a sparkley little thread spun with it. I started making a Clapotis with it, but soon frogged because the drop stitches didn't drop very easily.

I had to bring it to my knitting group to get some motivation to continue it. I have had it for so long that I lost my objectivity and started to hate it and not sure if it was pretty anymore. They convinced me to continue on with it. So after my holiday knitting is complete...I will try to finish the dang thing.

suzeeq
10-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Considering that I didn't knit at all for about 10-12 years, I found a couple WIPs that had been on needles for about 20 years when I started up again and got back to my stash (it was in another state). Of course I don't quite remember what I was doing with those projects, so I'll use the yarn for baby stuff once the kids start making them.

giedre11
10-20-2007, 01:36 PM
I've been knitting since I was about 10. Stopped, started etc. I know I have stuff on the needles from about the 70's! Whenever I start a project I put the pattern, the yarn, and all the unused yarn in one of those plastic bags that has a pull string at the top. I know I could go back to those, but they are all in another state too, sitting in storage. Problem is, I'm now knitting continental...had to make a permanent switch since I found my tension is much more even, but I know I could revert back just for those projects. Gosh I'm getting old!!

Amerielle
10-20-2007, 01:55 PM
I learned to knit when my daughter was a baby and then just sort of quit until about a year ago. I still have that baby blanket I started for her...16 years ago! I have a feeling I'll never finish it! (I think she might have outgrown it)

HollyP
10-20-2007, 02:07 PM
I am currently working on a scarf that I knit for my brother 9 years ago. I finished it and realized one side was grossly bigger than the other. He sweetly kept it and even wears it. Last time I was visiting him I stole it, frogged it and am now about a third of the way done. I really want to finish it and put it back without telling him.

jodstr2
10-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Neck-Down Hooded Tunic. haven't touched it since maybe may 2006, I think (at the latest).

Marj
10-20-2007, 04:57 PM
I've only been knitting a year so I don't have much. Only a sock that I started about 6 months ago that only has some of the cuff done. I just don't get the love of sock knitting. Maybe if I ever finish the darn thing I will get it.

But all I could think when doing it was "dang these needles are small." So I started a sock with worsted weight yarn and bigger needles but after finishing the ribbing I thought it was looking more like a mitten so that's what I ended up making with that one.

I do have a couple of crochet projects that I haven't finished. They are afghans and they been sitting around for at least 7 years now.

Marjorie

Wanda Witch
10-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Since I only joined about a week or so ago today was the first time I checked the 'oldest project.' Well, don't mean to top all of you, but when I was 17 years old I began a pair of argyle socks for my father. My very first attempt at knitting and was doing quite a bang-up job at it. He lived in another state and we informed he was very ill, in the hospital, somehow my mother and I managed to board a two-engined plane from L.A. to Dallas and en route I knitted the whole way - out of fear for my father and also my first flight - which took hours. Unfortunately when met at the airport in Dallas, at Love Field Airport we were informed we did not get there in time. To day those socks are still in a box, one almost finished and will remain that way. That was in 1947. I went on knitting following this, of course, then gave up on it as I was busy working with the day-to-day activities of life. Only recently I decided this was what I wanted to do again and am doing quite well with my first project some 60-plus years later, a nice sweater/jacket pattern from Berroco. Thanks for reading - but those socks? Well, they will stay where they are as a wonderful memory.

Lieke
10-20-2007, 05:34 PM
I think my eldest project is about half a year old now, but I'm still working on it when I've got the concentration and energy (it's a stranded sweater)

Doodknitwit
10-20-2007, 05:39 PM
it was one of the first projects in our knitting class..
baby is 34 :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::eyes::eyes:

gamerchik
10-20-2007, 06:26 PM
The Irish Hiking Scarf, from May or June...it looks so cool but it just seems like it takes FOREVER to finish. I am ALMOST done with it. :woohoo:

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-20-2007, 06:35 PM
These are great.. and don't you feel better.. not so alone? Not such a failure? We all (well, most of us) have one of these projects.

I had my project, the extra yarn.. and I assumed the pattern and the other knitting needle w/ it.. but, since 'movers' pack me up when I move.. who knows what they did w/ the pattern (It was just in a knitting magazine and they might not have realized that YES, I DID NEED TO KEEP THE MAGAZINE WITH THE SWEATER/YARN STUFF?) and the other knitting needle?

Sigh.. It's almost finished and I'd hate to take it apart- and I actually like what it's going to be.. but, I'll do one more search for it.. (in the yarn/started projects area) and if it's not found by the end of December-- I guess I'll undo the knitting and find something else to make out of the pretty yarn.)

Thanks for sharing your stories. :D

holamiis
10-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Do projects that I bought specific yarn for and have everything I need to start but haven't started yet count?

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-20-2007, 07:24 PM
hol.. OH, I hope not.. or, I'd be in big trouble.

I just figure yarn 'will call to you' when it wants to be something.. sometimes.. it's not what you bought it for and that might be why it's still sitting there NOT KNIT up in the intended project!???

I only count a project as being 'unfinished' if I actually started KNITTING WITH THE YARN to make something. :D

I finally put all of those items on one place so I could see them and they'd have company together and not get all lonely in their own individual sacks/bags stored here and there.. now, they are in their own little plastic bags but.. 'together'.. I pretend that they are happier in :roflhard:each other's company- than being all alone.

Sandi
10-20-2007, 07:26 PM
I have a Buffalo wool sweater that has been on the needles for about 10 years. It's been there so long that I started knitting it for my then (husband) and did not finish it.
Since then I have gotten rid of that husband.........(thank god) met my new husband of almost 2 years.
He didn't like the wool, said it was itchy, which it is and just this weekend packaged it up and sent to a friend of mine the lives in Whitehorse.
I know she will knit the sweater and make use of it....

Thats my tale........
:knitting:

msmelody
10-21-2007, 04:20 AM
I feel lame. My oldest UFO is only a week or so. I start socks and a baby blanket, and put them down to do my MIL's hat, and since all I have left is the I-cord. I will be picking but back up today or tomorrow.

The.Knitter
10-21-2007, 06:51 AM
An Aaron knit sweater that I got the back done on and the front up to the neck. I got stuck once the neck stitches were put on a stitch holder and can't figure out how to get any further. One fine day I will bring it out and see if I can figure it out (perhaps with the help of this site). It's a beautiful piece of work and I would love to see it finished. It's about 8 years OTN.

k1p2yoohoo
10-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Wanda Witch ... loved your story ... now THOSE will be REAL family heirlooms to pass down ...

I do a lot of business travel for work so spend my evenings and airport/flight times knitting (this is my excuse for having a lot of projects started even though I've only been knitting for 3 years or so... when the projects get too big I don't like to take them with me). I was in my lys stocking up on yarn and somehow the topic got around to how many ufos people had ... one of the sales people had over SEVENTY! I felt a lot better after hearing that!

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-21-2007, 09:16 AM
70???

My, oh my.. I feel so much better about my 5-7 unfinished projects. WOW.. :D

I think she should ban herself from starting any NEW PROJECTS.. because that is more than most people will knit in a life-time anyway.

Of course, I'm sure that she gets a discount on her yarn? But, I'm still amazed at that number!!

WOW.. WOW.. WOW.. :knitting: I will be more motivated now.

felted-bag
10-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I think a vest from 1995 -- it just needs the edging around the armholes and the front...I done it three times and so far haven't like any of them.

madametj
10-21-2007, 07:22 PM
I learned to knit when my daughter was a baby and then just sort of quit until about a year ago. I still have that baby blanket I started for her...16 years ago! I have a feeling I'll never finish it! (I think she might have outgrown it)
:roflhard::teehee::roflhard::teehee::roflhard:

michellebreton
10-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Last year I finally finished a cabled cardigan that I had started in 1994 right before I got married. I finished it, realized that it was too honkin big for me and frogged the whole thing so I could reuse the yarn for something else. I think I'm going to try that yarn again on the cowl neck sweater from the fall IK.

Michelle

madametj
10-21-2007, 07:25 PM
i think the oldest thing i have is probably my Irish Hiking Scarf which i probably started like 6 months ago

its only halfway finished, btw...:teehee:

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-22-2007, 04:58 AM
This has been fun to read and makes me not feel such a 'failure' to know that others in are the same boat w/ some 'unfinished' projects in their stash. :hug:

ArtLady1981
10-22-2007, 01:07 PM
I have a possible "never-to-be-finished/frogging-a-high-probablility" Silk Garden cardigan cast on about Nov 2006....finished one piece of the thing...but don't like the way the colorway is distributing...ack...

:eyes: Don't know what to do about it...so am doing nothing for now.

Am awaiting inspiration. Have 20 skeins of this colorway. :pout:

For me...project that has been languishing for almost a year...is a BIG DEAL.

McKnitty
10-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Two years, and it hurts to admit it. I started a scarf, which was going to be a birthday present for a friend. Thank goodness it was going to be a surprise, so she doesn't know it is still in my closet!

I barely got started and knew right away that I didn't like the pattern or the yarn. The pattern calls for 3 different yarns of different textures and I found it very frustrating to work with 2 of the yarns.

I decided early on that I want to knit for fun and if a project turned out to be 'not fun' I wouldn't worry about finishing it. However, this does bother me and I do feel some guilt about not finishing it, but mainly because the yarn was expensive!

awos1244
10-23-2007, 08:46 PM
I actually have some projects I started working on in the 1980's!!! :roflhard:

Chantal

sylvia
10-24-2007, 12:19 PM
wanda that is a sad but beautiful post
keep those socks
you will always have a memory
and make sure it is passed down in the family
sylvia
ps my eldest daughter still has my fathers sewing machine