PDA

View Full Version : How old were you when you learned to knit?

Nunnemaker
10-20-2007, 12:40 PM
I am considering teaching my Daughter to knit. She is 8 years old and I think she has my talent for learning crafts easily. I will eventually teach her to crochet too but I think that I should start out with knitting. Do you all think she is old enough? How old were you when you started? I was 30 so I have no idea how to teach her. I think I may start out with a simple scarf, I don't know the pattern yet but I think that would be the best project to start out with. Wow am I rambling. (Can you tell I'm nervous about doing this right? LOL!) Any suggestions you could throw my way would be wonderful. Or if you have been there and have some tips for me I would love to hear them! Thanks, Folks!
Amy N:knitting:

Jan in CA
10-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Umm...I was 52..:shifty:

:roflhard:

I think 8 is old enough. I taught my niece (although now at 12 she's not much interested in it) and she picked it up pretty quickly. I gave her some of those cute needles with kitties on the ends..about size 8 I think, and some yarn. I CO for her and then showed her what to do. One thing... you can try teaching her the method you use (continental or english), but if she's having a hard time you can tell her there is another way to hold the yarn and see which works best for her.

ETA: Here's some books that might help..they might make her want to learn so she can make something!
Kids Knitting (projects for kids of all ages) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1579652417/ref=wl_it_dp/102-3177256-7597741?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1SHM8PD0FJ1UQ&colid=BDXGBX6WNEG5)
Knitting (kids can do it) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1553370511/ref=wl_it_dp/102-3177256-7597741?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3JLS2YZPCXXVE&colid=BDXGBX6WNEG5)
Kids Easy Knitting Projects (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1885593481/ref=wl_it_dp/102-3177256-7597741?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2HWQMD883XUH3&colid=BDXGBX6WNEG5)

fargo_knitting
10-20-2007, 12:48 PM
I was in my 20s when I started knitting. I taught my nephew who was 10 to knit. He really enjoyed it.

I don't think it would hurt to try to teach her to knit if she shows an interest in it. A garter stitch scarf would be a good project. But maybe something a little smaller so it doesn't seem so daunting. Maybe just a garter-stitch wrist band. Or a skirt or something she could create for a doll or a favorite stuffed animal.

Good luck!
AJ

suzeeq
10-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Only teach her if she wants to learn. A simple scarf in garter may be the best thing to start with. I think larger needles like size 10 may be better; easier for her to see the stitches, also use light weight yarn. They have shorter needles for kids that are about 7 or 8 inches long, those might be easier for her to handle than 10" ones or circs.

I taught myself at 14 out of a little booklet, using my brother's sharpened Tinkertoys and string. My mother bought me some needles and yarn when she saw I was determined to do it.

Knitting_Guy
10-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Nunnemaker
10-20-2007, 12:55 PM
She is interested for sure. She sits with me and watches me make stuff. She was was made a pair of socks when she was four by a good friend of the family, who by the way is an awesome knitter. Ever since then my little girl has wanted to learn. She will take pencils and my left over yarn and pretend to make something. :roflhard: I can knit either English or Continental so that shouldn't be hard to teach her either. Thanks for all of the suggestions, they are great!

zkimom
10-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Both my kids learned to knit in the first grade (they learned at school) so your daughter shouldn't have any trouble learning.

I agree with suzeeq about the size 10 needles. Keep them short too so they are easier to manage. Worsted weight yarn in a light color will help her see her stitches better.

Good luck!

Nunnemaker
10-20-2007, 12:56 PM

:rofl::roflhard::rofl::roflhard:

KnitClickChick
10-20-2007, 01:22 PM
I was 27 or 28 when I decided I wanted to learn. I saw a lady knitting on the bus and thought, hey, that looks like fun! Little did I know what I was getting myself into --- what an addiction!! I think your daughter is old enough, go for it!!

laptop_knitter
10-20-2007, 01:44 PM
I was 15 when I learnt, my grandmother taught me on a stocking stitch fancy-fur flourescent pink scarf. There's a cute berroco cat toy pattern that's basically a knit square sewn into shape-quick and easy I'd guess

HollyP
10-20-2007, 02:10 PM
19 or 20. I honestly can't remember. It's been so long (8-9 years, lol!)

My cousin learned to knit when she was 6-7 so I definitely think if your dd is interested she should be able to do it.

scout52
10-20-2007, 02:13 PM
I was 13 and i learned on sz 8 needles. I learned continental. she showed us both and we (me and my twin) found continental easier. I made a baby vest for my cousin that was about to be born as my first project. it had little hearts in the front. i tackled two colored knitting for my first project!!

debinoz
10-20-2007, 02:46 PM
I was 10, but I didn't really get it. I took it up again about 5 years ago... so really I guess my answer would be 40.

LadyB
10-20-2007, 02:54 PM
I was 12 when I learned to knit. I learned to crochet first though, when I was 8 (nobody I knew could knit, but my mom crocheted) because I asked to be taught. If she wants to be taught, she's ready.

Braden
10-20-2007, 03:09 PM
It was about 7 years ago when I learned to knit, so I was about 6 years old.

Nunnemaker
10-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Thank you all so much, I'm feeling a bit better about teaching her. It's not her ability to learn that concerns me it's my teaching ability, LOL! Now I can't wait to start.

Pink Dandelion
10-20-2007, 04:06 PM
I was 6 when I learned to crochet, it wasn't until I was 11 that I decided to give knitting a shot.

When I learned knitting, the needles were too long and too slick for my small hands to manage easily (I was small for my age until I hit about 14), especially when I would have to hang onto the needles with my non-dominant hand to throw with my dominant, and after all my years of crochet at such a young age it was hard to brake out of that motion and do english throw. My mom offered to find out how to do continental for me at one point, but I wanted to do it "Like mama" and wouldn't change - this was also before the interenet was a good resource for things like that, so trying to learn continental from a book, and them making it into left-handed continental was not always a simple task.

I still wonder why I got so frustrated with knitting when I look back on the other things I was doing at 11, I had already been playing harp for 2 years and been playing a pedal harp for over 1 year, my life revolved around my crafts and music and I was an avid crocheter.

I knit a good 2 or 3 feet on a rather wide scarf, but eventually something frustrated me enough about it that I stopped and eventually decided that knitting just wasn't for me.

Heh. I was kinda wrong about that 'not for me' part, but it did take me over 6 years to give it another try, and that was only because I had a reason. Even then I was resistant, but my mom encouraged me to pick up the needles again, I found I had retained most of it, but I picked up the yarn continental, didn't realize I was doing anything different until I asked my mom if I was doing it right... "yes dear... but... I think you're knitting continental..." :teehee: - after crocheting for about 11 years, continental just felt natural.

So my answer would be; I'm sure you can teach her how, especailly if she wants to learn, but I would suggest teaching her on bamboo needles with wool yarn. If you can, try to give her the option of english and continental, and if she still finds it overwhelming with all those needles and stitches, see if she'd like to learn crochet instead!

KnittingNat
10-20-2007, 04:13 PM
I was 6 and my grandmother taught me. I picked it up really easily, can't remember myself fighting knits and purls. I would give it a try :cheering:

G J
10-20-2007, 04:29 PM
My neices began knitting around age 6 or 7. They are now better knitters than I am. In fact, I sometimes call them for help when I can't find answers here! They're now 11 and 13. They love it when Auntie Gina calls for knitting help. Makes them feel so smart (which they are)!:)

brittyknits
10-20-2007, 04:40 PM
I was 6, and I've seen kids even younger pick it up quite well. The one suggestion I would make is to try to break each motion down into small steps, and let her accomplish each step. Just practice inserting the needle into the stitch several times before even bringing the yarn around (if you're using the throw method) sort of thing. I actually am the dissenting voice here, on needle size. I think that slightly smaller needles are easier to manage. A size 10 in our grown up hands is like a 17 in an 8 year olds. Something more like a 6 -8 I think works best for children. Red Heart makes a pack of chilren's needles called "Starters", brightly colored, 7", and in 3 different sizes. ( http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Accessories/Knitting/Needles/Red+Heart+Starters.htm ) It's great having the 3 different sizes because you won't be sure what will work best in her hands until she tries it. I've found that worsted weight is best when teaching children to knit. Thinner yarns are too difficult for them, and so are bulkier things. Also, multicolored yarns are great-- they can see the stitches more easily and it's more interesting for them. One trick I've also learned about teaching kids to knit, is to let them do it for the first bit WITH the mistakes! If they drop a stitch, so what, or add more, big deal-- just let them keep trying for the first while without getting hung up on the end product; just focus on the maneuvers for a bit.

Jax3303
10-20-2007, 05:51 PM
well... I was 22 (25 now), but I taught my sons to knit when they were 6 and 4. they don't have any interest to knit now, but they didn't have any trouble learning. they caught on pretty quick. If your daughter shows interest, go for it.

ladyjessica
10-20-2007, 07:18 PM
I was 23 and recovering from surgery when I started taking classes, but so many people have told me that their mother or grandmother taught them when they were 5 or 6, so I think as long as she's interested in it and wants to learn, she'll be just fine.

Good luck! You'll have to post a picture of her first project. :cool:

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-20-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm a teacher (classroom some years and art teacher when I can find a job doing that) and I don't even know the number of children that I've taught to knit.

She is the perfect age.. fine motor skills are better at her age.

I wouldn't have her knit a scarf.. just make a small scarf or blankie for a small stuffed animal. THEN, something else.. small.. for another animal? Or a rectangle that gets turned into a hat by sewing it up and adding tassels on the corners?
Children (and most adults) need to see progress quickly and that's why I wouldn't do a scarf.. it's endless, endless knitting.

Here's what I have my students say to learn how to knit:
First of all.. I've already cast on and have knitted about an inch or so of knitting while they watch me knit very slowly and that helps the knitting become easier to manage and they get to watch the 'steps' of knitting while you do it.

Here's what I have my students say:

THE 'bunny' goes in the hole (stick your right needle in the stitch)

The bunny grabs the rope/string.. (wrap the yarn around this needle)

The bunny jumps out and sits on the fence (you pull the new stitch out and I do stop and rest it on the left needle .. so they don't skip pulling the stich all the way out.. and let the needle w/ the new stitch on it 'rest' on the left needle) *as they get more fluid with their motions.. this step becomes more automatic.. but, I've found that this is the step that will most likely be 'messed up or skipped' unless you stress it. AND this is how they get the extra stitches. I POINT OUT THE NEW LOOP THAT IS ON THE NEEDLE.. so, they can recognize what it looks like..

The bunny jumps off the fence and runs away.. the stitch is complete and now on the right handed needle.

It is very successful and they say it as they do the steps..

**I've even used it w/ adults so they can see the steps..

and it gets shortened to: go in, grab the yarn, jump out, run away..

I've been a classroom teacher to 8 year olds.. (just last year) and she will be capable of learning to knit. I also tell them 'that it feels funny' to everyone when they first start- and remind them how learning how to tie their shoes was.. that they didn't learn it the first time someone showed them how and that most skills in life.. including learning to 're-group' in math.. takes practice. I also have them share new skills that weren't easy to master and When I share that information- they don't tend to get as frustrated.. because they know that some skills take 'repeating and repeating' until they know how to do it without thinking.

lelvsdgs
10-20-2007, 11:09 PM
I was 8 and like others, my grandmother taught me. I think if she wants to learn and is good with her hands you should give it a try. I think a small project, maybe a dishcloth would be a good first project. She can use it and it will give her a finished product rather quickly. Then move her on to a scarf. Go for it, it's a lifelong art form that she will always be able to do.

madametj
10-20-2007, 11:22 PM
I was 15, but i think an 8-year-old could if they really wanted to. just start her off on big needle and chunky yarn like everyone is saying (so she can see her stiches easily). oh and i would start her on something quicker than a scarf, she might get a little impatient with that. I would probably just have her do a garter stitch head band so she get her first project done quicker. (she probably wouldn't be very interested in a dishcloth)

Jen17
10-21-2007, 12:58 AM
I was about the same age, but it was hard to learn because I didn't have good equipment...the needles were aluminum and the yarn was skinny acrylic. AWFUL stuff to try to learn on. Soooo 38 years later I took a class with wonderful yarn and size 8 needles and a good teacher and learned in 2 hours. It was great and now I am seriously addicted.
I taught my grandson at age 9 how to knit on a cross country flight and he had it down in a few hours.....I wondered if he would retain any of it and he did. This past summer he sat with me and asked for some needles and he watched me for a minute and away he went!!! I think it is wonderful to teach kids at a young age, especially boys. It will be great for them when they are older and need a stress reducer and a hobby!
Just give them nice needles and yarn to work with!
Have lots of fun!

MerigoldinWA
10-21-2007, 02:42 AM
You have gotten some very good answers here. I agree with Britty Knits about needle size. I wouldn't go real big, they are too awkward to start out with for those with small hands. Definately worsted weight yarn and have some knitting already done so she won't have to try to cast on right away. I agree on something small and age appropriate for her first efforts. She needs almost instant gratification to spur her on.

Show her, then walk her through the steps until she gets it and then watch her as she works for quite a while to make sure she is doing it correctly. Try to get her to do a little knitting again a little while after her first session so she can keep it fresh in her mind. A little knitting every day will get something done and not over tax her attention span. Just encourage, don't push. Keep adding new skills as she learns. Let her pick her own projects from some appropriate choices. She is definately old enough if she wants to knit. I love to teach people to knit. Have fun!

Sheridan
10-21-2007, 06:51 AM
I was about six I think, I remember what I knitted too, it was supposed to be a scarf but it grew and grew and grew, outwards, not upwards, lol.

I taught my niece to knit when she was seven. She picked it up very easily so I think eight would definitely be old enough.

I just realised I have known how to knit for over 30 years. I should probably be better at it then!!

oh well.

GiddyKnitter
10-21-2007, 08:50 AM
I was about 9 or 10 my mum taught me x

dustinac
10-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I was 25... I started knitting in May of '05....if she seems interested then you could give it a try...but if she gets bored or isn't then I wouldn't push her... My mom tried every way in the world to get her little girl to learn how to sew, crossstitch, and more...didn't learn and ended up not being crafty till I was 20 :teehee:...I wish now I would have learned cause it's hard for mom to walk me through the steps over the phone...but at the time it was a chore something I had to do... hated it...:oo:

My 3 yr old asks if she can knit... I just give her some play yarn and wooden needles that we filed down... she will sit on my lap and we will CO and try a few sts with her helping me wrap the st... but she gets bored fast and moves on...if she asks then I bring it out but if not her little yarn bag is hanging in the closet...

cindygster
10-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Um, I learned when I was 25...considering I'm still 25 it hasn't been very long! Lol... My boyf (being the SWEETHEART that he is) got me a knitting book from the library when I was trying to find a simple first-time project. I don't have the book with me right now (forgot my knitting bag at home when I left for work! :cry:) but I'll post it tomorrow. Of all the books that I looked through when I first learned, it was the best and it's a KIDS BOOK! :cheering: The book was supposed to come with a beginner's kit: Size 8 needles, some buttons for the patterns included, and a ball of worsted weight. There's 6 patterns included as well: a cell phone holder, hat, scarf, purse, change purse, and a sunglasses sleeve. It teaches the English method, which according to the book is the easiest method for children to learn (prolly a little more of a deliberate technique than Continental).

I'll get the title of the book posted tomorrow (no 'net access at home unfortunately)

tropicallie
10-21-2007, 11:25 AM
When I was 7 or 8, I got a "Barbie Learn to Knit" kit for Christmas which was sorta strange as NO ONE in my family knew how to knit. It came in a metal cylinder with two balls of worsted yarn (pink and blue) and a set of plastic, short needles that I would guess were size 8 or so (also Barbie pink). In the directions were giant diagrams . I remember one that you were instructed to place your yarn over and follow the yarn path for a slip knot. They taught the easy cast-on and I don't remember learning to purl but there were probably directions for that, too. I did make a garter stitch skirt and pullover for Barbie. Then I lost interest until I was 20 or so and decided to knit a sweater. It came out OK, a quick knit on 13s with chunky yarn. Then I had another knitting lapse until 2 years ago when I was 49. Your daughter might not maintain her interest in knitting once she learns, but she would have the knowledge to pick it back up again when she's older.

lizardknits
10-21-2007, 01:29 PM
I was about six I think, I remember what I knitted too, it was supposed to be a scarf but it grew and grew and grew, outwards, not upwards, lol.

I taught my niece to knit when she was seven. She picked it up very easily so I think eight would definitely be old enough.

I just realised I have known how to knit for over 30 years. I should probably be better at it then!!

oh well.

i was like 19 when I learned.

Songbirdy
10-21-2007, 02:33 PM
I was 9 when my Grandmother taught me.

We agreed to let it go.

I remember trying again at 12, 16, and 20. I finally got it at 25... and by 30 finished my first sweater.

And to think that my parents often tell my I am not persistent... looking at that I think I am!!!

Jints
10-21-2007, 03:46 PM
I really don't remember actually learning but it must have been about 9 or 10 as I had knit a DK weight Cardigan by 12. (well most of it. I think Mum did some)

madametj
10-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Um, I learned when I was 25...considering I'm still 25 it hasn't been very long! Lol... My boyf (being the SWEETHEART that he is) got me a knitting book from the library when I was trying to find a simple first-time project. I don't have the book with me right now (forgot my knitting bag at home when I left for work! :cry:) but I'll post it tomorrow. Of all the books that I looked through when I first learned, it was the best and it's a KIDS BOOK! :cheering: The book was supposed to come with a beginner's kit: Size 8 needles, some buttons for the patterns included, and a ball of worsted weight. There's 6 patterns included as well: a cell phone holder, hat, scarf, purse, change purse, and a sunglasses sleeve. It teaches the English method, which according to the book is the easiest method for children to learn (prolly a little more of a deliberate technique than Continental).

I'll get the title of the book posted tomorrow (no 'net access at home unfortunately)

I know what book that is! its the Klutz Knitting Kit (http://www.klutz.com/catalog/product/2420). I know because my aunt had bought it for herself about the same time I started to learn how to knit, and she let me photocopy some of the patterns!

Jeremy
10-21-2007, 08:36 PM
:psst: 49

aineepooh1
10-22-2007, 12:43 AM
34... or in other words last year ~!!:aww::cheering::cheering::cheering:

sig
10-22-2007, 06:23 AM
I was 6 yo and love it! Then i didn't knit a thing until i was 27!

rachejm
10-22-2007, 06:49 AM
I remember having a knitting class at school when i was about 7 but it was a one off and i didn't really take to it. So officially I started knitting last year so I was 18.

leedsfan
10-22-2007, 08:28 AM
I was 16 when i learnt to knit after my dad died.

msoebel
10-22-2007, 10:54 AM
I've been knitting for a year...so I taught myself to knit when I was 28.

Misty

Nunnemaker
10-24-2007, 09:41 AM
I started to teach my Daughter to knit yesterday and she is going wild with it. I had a ball of Lion brand Big yarn. Which was honestly too big for me to work with. So I grabbed some big needles and started a scarf for her. I showed her one row of knitting and after that she got it. I thought this was cute the kids got off to a late start today and missed the bus so they had time to kill before I drove them to school. Guess what my little girl decided to do to keep busy? You guessed it!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/nunnemaker/Crafts/DSCF0729.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/nunnemaker/Crafts/DSCF0726.jpg

Yep, I have a knit nut. (Just like her Momma!)

jodstr2
10-24-2007, 11:46 AM
I was 34.

MerigoldinWA
10-24-2007, 12:33 PM
What neat pictures of your daughter knitting in her coat. See, it wasn't so hard to teach her as you thought. Of course, there are lots more things for her to learn. But that can be said for all of us. LOL I hope she will be one of the devotees.

aslangirl
10-24-2007, 12:52 PM
About 29!

Kels Joy.
10-24-2007, 03:23 PM
wow, she looks like she's doing awesome! i love the bright pink yarn too, lol!

i was 10-ish when i taught myself, but i didnt really pick it up till about 7th grade, so about 13.
i did teach my 9 year old cousin how to knit last springbreak. i taught her the garter stitch, and she bought her own size 9 needles and some cheap acrlyic yarn. the orginally plan was for her to make a scarf, but she wasn't too good at it and kinda got frustrated so she hasn't picked it up too much, accept when i'm at her house with my own knitting out.

Mrs. Columbo
10-24-2007, 10:15 PM
My boss showed me how to knit when I was 24 ... started me out on circulars and Lopi yarn for one of those big thick gaudy yellow and brown sweaters that were "back in the day" (1980 something) .... she neglected to tell me about GAUGE .. I bought yarn and started knitting .. she said "just knit" ... I knit a size 56 for my size 36 form .... sleeves were 8" too long and it was more of what I would call a "wooly nightdress with plunging neckline" ... NOT anything that would ever get you a date (much less marriage .. good thing I was already married to a man with a sense of humor) .... :lol: I took it to my mother when I realized it was just not working out and I was starting to end up with a house cozy ... (if any of you have read the Yarn Harlot, I was like Emma in her book, I just kept on knitting and no one stopped me) .... she tore it back and re knit it for me .... I did not take it up again until this past Christmas when we were expecting a grandchild .... I still haven't knit him anything .. I've started a shawl 30 times or more, finally I am at row 60 so I think I will finish this one ... but I want nothing to do with gauge garments ... just shawls and blankets ...

Wish I'd learned to knit when I was a kid .... I think 8 is great ... my daughter learned at 7 from my mom.

Rorshach
10-24-2007, 11:42 PM
I learned when I was 28.

mamapaulsel
10-25-2007, 01:04 AM
I was 30 something and was self taught. My 10 year old daughter wanted to learn so I had to teach myself so that I could teach her. Now she and her younger sister would rather crochet which I had taught them to do first. Go figure! I'm addicted to knitting because of them:roflhard: You daughter looks like she is doing great and really enjoys it. What a great hobby that you can share. My girls and I have so much fun going to our LYS, but it gives my husband nightmares:rofl:

KnittingNat
10-25-2007, 03:30 AM
She looks so cute knitting! Way to go!!!:cheering:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-25-2007, 10:12 AM
28 for knitting, 10 for crochet.

my son is 7 and learning to knit (size 13 needles and homespun yarn, i'm letting him practice on the basic knit shawl i'm doing). it drives my dh crazy because my 7 year old comes running when he hears the theme music for knitty gritty... he also wants to learn how to make the baby hat and blanket set from there to give to someone having a baby LOL

thymetraveler
11-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I learned to crochet @ 7, when the neighbor who taught me realized I was left-handed, she said, "I can't teach you".

Her husband then got a big mirror,placed it in front of me, & told me to follow what she did in the mirror.

I did, & several projects later, I taught my self how 2 knit, from a book, with the mirror to be sure I was replicating the instructions, just in reverse.

I think a potholder is also a good 1st project, she will be delighted every time you use it!

thymetraveler
11-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Amazingly, for a beginner, she's got the tension going really nicely,she's not only cute, but smart, too!

starshine
11-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Well I learned to crochet from my grandma when I was in 5th grade... I learned to knit when I was... let's see, how old am I now?? 31!

My grandma did try to teach me to knit as well but after about 2 minutes of not being able to hold the yarn and the needles I went outside to play instead. :)

iwfinley
11-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Learned to crochet in elementary school, learned to knit when I was 40. Check out your local library -- there are a number of books on knitting for kids. I think my 9 year old son wants to learn but is worried about being teased if his friends found out. . . . . .

DorothyDot
11-03-2007, 05:50 PM
I learned to knit and crochet together when I was 8. Got 6" done on a scarf - and ripped it all out to tie branches for a tree house.

Years ago, I was dating a man who had his 5-year-old daughter visiting him for the summer. Little Jenny wanted to learn how to knit. So I brought knitting needles and yarn for each of us.

One rainy day we plopped down side-by-side on the sofa. I showed her, explaining. It quickly became obvious that her little hands simply did not have the coordination required to move the yarn and needles into the right places.

So, before frustration could set in, I took action. Putting her needles and yarn aside, I pulled young Jenny into my lap. We put her hands on my needles, then I covered them with my hands. That was how we "knitted" the afternoon away.

I decided it was much more important for this little girl to associate knitting with love than it was for her to make that perfect stitch.

Dot

Mommy22alyns
11-03-2007, 06:11 PM
LOL - 28!

If it helps, my mom taught me how to cross-stitch when I was about 10.

yarnbee
11-03-2007, 06:13 PM
I was about 7 or 8 when my mother taught me to cast on and do garter stitch. It depends on the child's manual dexterity and since I started piano lessons at 7, it came easily to me. Didn't really pick it up again until I was an adult. Wish I had stuck with it throughout childhood--I'd probably be a knitting goddess by now.

CamNMeg
11-03-2007, 08:46 PM
I taught myself to knit last Christmas - when I was 28.

Babyduck87
11-04-2007, 12:43 AM
well im 20 now and i learned to knit when i was about 16..but i only got seriously addicted recently..and ive taught my 26 year old sister who is now another addict! :)

wiredqs
11-04-2007, 01:43 AM
When I was about 7 or 8, we pounded some finishing nails into a spool of thread and made I-cord by the mile to make blankets and such for the dolls. Then we made long crochet chains and then graduated to knitting a few years later. I don't think they make spools out of wood anymore...

SkyBluePink
11-04-2007, 11:40 AM
29! :knitting:

Last month was my one-year knitaversary! :inlove: I love it and hate it more than I did when I first started. It is the bane and joy of my existence. It gives to me and relieves more stress for me than any other activity that I can think of. I've spent more money on it than any other hobby I've had. I've hurled more horribly vulgar curse words at my knitting than I have at people. But when I'm down and out and I feel like no one really "gets" me, my knitting is always there. We have conversations, my knitting and I. :mrgreen:

wandersfar
11-04-2007, 11:52 AM
I used to teach kids how to knit. I envy how fast their little fingers can pick up the techniques!

Unfortunately no one ever taught me how to knit as a child (the most I ever did fiber/weaving-wise was keychain macrame (http://www.yoarra.nl/eng/weitas.php), heh). I learned four years ago, when I was 18.

reallydolly
12-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I'm 48 and I just started a few weeks ago.

Ronda
12-10-2007, 12:17 PM
39 :)

DianaM
12-10-2007, 12:22 PM
9, but I didn't really do anything with it until I was in my early 20s

WildMountainHoney
12-10-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm 30, and self-taught this fall.

My children are getting the benefit - my son is learning now, and he just turned 7 in Nov.

honeybunmom
12-10-2007, 03:23 PM
I have absolutely no recollection of learning. That being said, I probably learned at your daughter's age or earlier. And I did not knit between then and age 35 or so - except maybe one attempt in high school. And I remembered how to cast on, knit, purl and cast off. So, I think if she learns it at this age she'll always have it.

rox_on2
12-10-2007, 04:34 PM
I was about 10 or 12 I guess. I used to make everyone these dorky little slippers! lol And they wore em bless their hearts!
Dish cloths are a good first project to consider.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-10-2007, 05:27 PM
8 for crocheting single crochets and chains... 7 for cross stitch.... 20 for more than just chains and sc for crochet... 28 for knitting :)

and i'm teaching my 7 year old how to knit.

Margot
12-10-2007, 05:33 PM
I was about 7 - I learned so that I could earn a Brownie badge. My Mum cast on for me and I did a square in a nearly fluorescent red yarn. Eventually it was joined to other squares and became a cushion cover. I would recommend letting her choose the yarn so she'll find it interesting. Maybe a garter stitch blanket for a doll?

WildMountainHoney
12-10-2007, 06:48 PM
For a first project, my son is knitting a stockinette case for his wooden recorder.

Does your dd have barbies? The simple pattern would make a barbie sleeping bag easily. I just had him cast on 10, and he'll go until it's long enough to fold and stitch (which means I'll get to teach him either whip stitch or mattress too). I decided on stockinette because I read so many people whine about purling - it might be evil :twisted: but I think if I make him do it at the beginning, he won't know that knitting is supposed to be "easier" than purling. We'll do ribbing next project!

gatorjade
12-10-2007, 07:44 PM
I taught myself to knit about a month before my 21st birthday. Well, I've been 21 for about twelve days now! :clink:

alleusion
12-10-2007, 08:50 PM
I think I was 10 when I learned crochet basics, then promptly forgot it all, reteaching myself when I was 18, pregnant and had 4 hours to kill between college classes. When my son was between newborn and one, I taught myself to knit from a book. I think I was 20 or 21 by then.

I didn't really get interested as I didn't have anyone to show me what I was doing right or wrong and there were no LYS near me. Knitting was nowhere near as big as it is today and I had this vision that people would think me like a little old lady if they saw me knitting.

Funny that I seem to get a "knitting bug" when I'm pregnant or have newborns.

saracidaltendencies
12-11-2007, 03:22 AM
I was 28 when I learned to knit, (2 whole years ago...lol). My daughter is 6 and has, on many occasions, shown interest in it, however, she was born with my impatience so she gets easily frustrated and wants to stop...lol...I don't force her to learn it though, I figure if she really wants to, she'll let me know. I say if your daughter is showing interest and isn't easily frustrated if she doesn't "do it right" (as my daughter says...lol) she's at a perfect age for it.

creativejesusfreak
12-12-2007, 02:16 PM
I was 19 when I learned to knit. My suggestion would be to teach her crochet, I learned that back in 5th, 6th grade from my mom. With crochet, you're working one stitch at a time rather than many so your daughter doesn't have to worry about picking up stitches she drops. She's your kid though so it's up to you, either way, she definately seems like she's interested and it's a perfect craft to teach her. My little sister's 6 and she can knit. Maybe have your girl do a scarf in garter stitch.

Doozy
12-12-2007, 03:12 PM
I think I was 4 when my grandmother tried to teach me to crochet, but I remember her being frustrated because I was left-handed!

I learned to knit when I was 15, but I didn't finish anything until I was 24 (which is how old I am right now!)

Sunny_Singer
12-12-2007, 03:16 PM
I learned to knit as a teen, to cast on, bind off....taught myself how to increase, decrease, I had no "knitting books" but everything I knitted for over 25 years was in garter st. for I only learned how to purl this past June.

ClarasMommy
12-14-2007, 01:27 AM
My mother taught me a little when I was about 10. She only remembered the basics so I gave up when I didn't know how to bind off what I had knitted LOL

I picked it up again at 22 ;-) (The Internet is wonderful)

peaches
12-14-2007, 03:02 AM
I'm 26 and just taught myself to knit. If I had someone for guidence I think I would learn more quickly, but so far the tutorials on this site have been my saving grace. Thank You!!!!!