PDA

View Full Version : A gift of yarn....unwanted.

Krystal
10-20-2007, 05:33 PM
So my mom likes to tell people I knit. She came over today with MASSIVE bag filled with yarn. I guess she mentioned this to my Uncle, who works for GoodWill. They had all this yarn no on was buying, so he packed it up to give to me.

But it's all so old, smelly and itchy... I pulled out a small bag or 2 of ok yarn. One filled with some soft cotton, and another filled with a pink mystery yarn that is very thick and thin. Enough for a scarf and hat set.

But now what? Normally I would tell people to give it to good will, but that is where it CAME from... I don't care to do charity work, and if I did, I certainly wouldnt use such itchy yarn, or seriously ugly colours. One bag is filled up with like 14 balls of neon mustard yellow. Seriously, I didn't know mustard yellow could be neon.

What would you do with it?

HollyP
10-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Maybe you could contact your local nursing home or elementary school and see if they would have any use for it.

My sister volunteers at a nursing home. Every week they have a sit and knit group that will take almost any yarn since they really don't have much access to shopping.

Jan in CA
10-20-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't care to do charity work,

:??

In that case, I'm not sure. Maybe donate it to a different charity group.

Debkcs
10-20-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't care to do charity work

One man's trash is another man's treasure, it's said. As Jan said, drop it off somewhere else, they may find someone who wants it.

figaro
10-20-2007, 07:08 PM
I know you said you don't do charity work however maybe you can make pet beds with 2 yarns at the same time for a local humane society? You could contact them to find out how big they need them to be and just knit the squares or rectangles with double stranded yarn? Great mindless tv knitting and they (and the animals) don't care about the colors!

Otherwise maybe contact them and see if they already have people who knit for them and see if they would like to have it?

Sandi
10-20-2007, 07:16 PM
I just dealt with the same thing. Even though my kids are done and through school, I dropped off a garbage bag full at my nearest elementry school with the art teacher.
She assured me that it would go to good use within the school.

Nursing homes, "Boys & Girls Club" , Brownies, i'm sure you can find someone that will take it off your hands, enjoy it and be appreciative of it......

And even though you said that you did not do any charity knitting, by giving the yarn away I believe that somehow it will make some small difference in either your life or that of anothers.......(maybe both)
:knitting:

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-20-2007, 07:17 PM
All good suggestions.. and as an ART teacher.. I agree.. drop some off at your local school/s... teachers at ELEM schools will use it and art teachers in all grades can use it..

and, the donation to shelters, elderly groups are all good suggestions.

Just don't throw it away... someone can use it.. :D

Some people might be on limited budges and want to do charity knitting??

Mariblue
10-20-2007, 07:33 PM
My local yarn store here takes yarn donations. They know a group that knits for charity. Maybe you could call your lys, and see if they would want it?

kellyh57
10-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Not all yarn needs to be knitted/crocheted. You can donate it to groups that will make other use of it. My son's preschool is constantly making "necklaces" that use yarn, they also make their own "books" and use yarn for the binding, many art projects use little bits here and there, etc. I used to use it to tie around the top of jars with a little circle of fabric for a decorative touch (use for those layered cookie/brownie mixes).

Just tossing out some ideas of other uses for it since you say it's icky yarn. I'm sure you can find someone or someplace who will take it!

Kelly

Mulderknitter
10-20-2007, 08:39 PM
These are all fantastic ideas. I too have been "gifted" not so nice yarn. There are plenty of people just on this site alone that are fine w/ olld, acrylic yarn. Just FEBREEZE the heck out of it and let those charity knitters have at it!:yay:

Sandi
10-21-2007, 01:22 AM
I hope you find a good use for it....

Let us know, please

gargoylelib
10-21-2007, 02:04 AM
My mom works in a veterinary clinic and they have need for
small blankets all the time to use with injured animals and
those coming out of surgery and they don't care what color
it is or what's it's made of just so long as it's washable.
You might want to check your local animal clinic and see
if anyone there wants the yarn for making blankets ;)
Libbie :)

MerigoldinWA
10-21-2007, 02:13 AM
It's not the most wonderful yarn, but it would do for beginners to learn on, maybe someone is teaching kids to knit somewhere and they could use it. Or anyone who is just needing some yarn to start off with.

Jenn_Knitter
10-21-2007, 01:27 PM
If there are any yarns in there that are a color you like, but don't like the way it feels, could you perhaps wash it on a gentle cycle in a pillow case to see if it softens up? I've heard that Red Heart yarn can be softened in the wash.

Do you have a local senior center in your area? We have a recreation facility for the senior adults in our area and they have daily arts and crafts time. Perhaps you could find out if you have one in your area that is looking for donations.

Krystal
10-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Thank you for all your great suggestions. The bag of yarn seemed to have jumped ship on it's own. My neighbour saw my mom bringing in that giant bag of yarn, and asked me about it when I was bringing out the trash. Turns out she crochets, and does alot of volunteer work at an old age home, since her husband is there. She said they'd be happy to have it, so she took it.

That worked out alot better than I could have hoped. As I DO NOT drive, so bringing it out to donate would have been really difficult.

Thank you again for the ideas. :heart:

mrslevite
10-21-2007, 07:46 PM
I happy that your neighbor wanted it. My suggestion was going to be a black plastic trash bag taken directly to your trash can. I can tolerate a lot of things, but the smelly part would have done it for me.

Krystal
10-21-2007, 08:58 PM
I happy that your neighbor wanted it. My suggestion was going to be a black plastic trash bag taken directly to your trash can. I can tolerate a lot of things, but the smelly part would have done it for me.

Honestly, if she didn't take it that's probably where it would have ended. I don't drive and getting out anywhere involves a long trip on the bus, and any and all charities in the area want you to bring it to them, so that wouldn't work.

I always feel like such a brat when I say I don't care for charity work, but honestly I'd rather part with my money then my time.:shrug:

Quiltlady
10-21-2007, 09:44 PM
If it smells funny etc. I'd throw it out and not feel bad about it. :wink:

HeatherFeather
10-21-2007, 11:09 PM
two things:
the smelly part...I usually put it outside on a SUNNY DAY on a sheet, and that usually takes most of the smellies away.

the donation part:
www.freecycle.org (http://www.freecycle.org) - if you've not heard of it, just post an offer on the group you sign up for, and someone will take it away...

I'm glad that you got it resolved tho to your liking :) AWAY!!

I've got some yarn that's a tangled mangled mess, that at this point, I think I just want it gone. I'll offer to freecycle, with full disclosure....but haven't QUITE decided yet!!

Oh, and being a good steward is about Time, Talents AND Treasure...there are times in our lives where there is an abundance of something, and not the others...not being a brat, just knowing what your gifts/limits are and going with it.

jess_hawk
10-22-2007, 06:34 PM
mmmm, I just thought up a cute charity project, but since you said you don't care to do those, you might see if any girl scouts, shelters, or elderly people are interested. I would make knot dolls with some of the yarn, and then give the dolls and the remaining yarn to someplace, where maybe a)girls/kids could learn to knit scarves, hats, and other clothing for the dolls using the leftover yarn; b) volunteers could make doll clothing and donate to needy children a doll that has clothes to play dress up.
Knot dolls are really easy, too.

ETA: oops, skipped the post where you said your neighbor took it - thats wonderful!

sylvia
10-23-2007, 08:26 AM
i mostly knit and crochet for charity
and i have had wonderful luck with the good will
i have never run into dirty wool just musty
i have even run into some beautiful silk yarn i got about 10 balls
i have picked up some choice impoted yarn at the salvation army this yarn was imported from holland and a gorgeous color
but i really use the good will because it is a good charity\
and the stuff i make goes back to charity
sylvia

redheadrachel
10-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Hideous colors make the best granny squares...
:shrug:
It's true!

MrsDavis3
10-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Oh, and being a good steward is about Time, Talents AND Treasure...there are times in our lives where there is an abundance of something, and not the others...not being a brat, just knowing what your gifts/limits are and going with it.

Heather, nice thought.