PDA

View Full Version : Corn, Bamboo and Soy, oh my!

brittyknits
10-20-2007, 06:20 PM
As someone who is allergic to wool, I am always on the look out for yarn of other material, especially sock yarn, where the non-wool choices are practically non-existent. Just discovered www.yarnmarket.com which has a whole "eco-friendly" section. It's not so appealing to me for the environmental benefits-- don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be as green as possible-- but more the my-skin-friendly benefits. It addition to other weights, they have sock yarn in corn, bamboo, etc. Just ordered it this afternoon, so I can't yet speak for its quality or beauty, but I'm thrilled to find this resource!!!:woohoo:

gamerchik
10-20-2007, 06:23 PM
That is sooo awesome! :cheering::cheering::cheering:

Debkcs
10-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Hey britty, check this out. They have socks with seaweed, tofu, corn, etc. Even one made from the shells of shrimp crab. Talk about making use of EVERYTHING.

http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/South_West_Trading_Company_Yarn-Tofutsies_Yarn-3350.html

(I wish I knew how to just type something like 'here' and put the url in.)

They also have excellent customer service.

brittyknits
10-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Wow-- that looks amazing! Unfortunately it's 50% wool, but wish I could try it!

lelvsdgs
10-20-2007, 11:13 PM
I too have a wool allergy or at least a sensitivity. I ordered the Maizy from Jimmy Beans Wool and I love it. I love the color choices and the ease of use. Sometimes the non-wool non-synthetic fibers are very bland. There are more and more choices out there for us who can't use wool. I'm lucky, I can use some blends and not have a problem.:)

AngMac
10-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Have you tried http://www.kpixie.com

They offer several different types of Non-wool and organic yarns. Some of the yarn they have are Habu Textiles Cotton, Blue Sky Alpacas Organic Yarn, Kathmandu Recycled Silk and SWTC Bamboo.

Lisa R.
10-21-2007, 11:28 AM
(I wish I knew how to just type something like 'here' and put the url in.)

Just FYI, you type "here" or whatever, then highlight it with your cursor, then, if you look above the text box, there's a little globe with a little "link" symbol (looks sort of like a paper clip to me, but it's supposed to be links in a chain). Click on that icon and a box will pop up for you to type or paste your URL (I always paste so as not to have typos that make it not work).

That's all there is to it!

brittyknits
10-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Angmac-- thanks for the tip! I just checked it out and ordered some hemp/cotton fingering blend to see how it goes for making socks. It's cheap enough to experiment with.:)

AngMac
10-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Glad you found something. :) You will have to let me know how you like the yarn. I have been tempted to order some for myself but just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet.

brittyknits
10-21-2007, 08:34 PM
I sure will! I also ordered some corn things (now, that's not a sentence I thought I'd ever write!:)) from Yarnmarket.com, and I plan to post about it all once they've arrived and I've had a chance to get try these all out (see my post from last night "To all you newbies out there"-- I'm not going to be done with my current OTN as quickly as I had anticipated:)).

Sanibelle
10-22-2007, 02:51 PM
I just made a bag for me and the yarn was made out of banana leaf. I loved the way it turned out. The yarn was pretty pricey though - not something I would buy everyday - but it was cool to use as a change.