PDA

View Full Version : A serious question

Debkcs
10-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Well, kind of. I've read a lot of times that some people don't knit or crochet during the summer months. Why is this? I crochet, or now, knit, all the time. Might switch from a big projects to, say, socks, but if I'm sitting, I want my hands busy. What am I missing here?:think:

auburnchick
10-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Probably because it's so hot and humid in areas. Plus, people spend time outside gardening or what not.

Knitting_Guy
10-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Perhaps some folks are too busy doing outdoors type stuff?

Debkcs
10-20-2007, 06:39 PM
It's hard to swim or hike while knitting, but generally, I've got something going. It's a little harder when the toddler is around, though.

Ingrid
10-20-2007, 07:07 PM
I knit all year round, but if I'm knitting outdoors on a very hot and humid day, I might switch from wool to cotton or something.

debinoz
10-20-2007, 10:38 PM
I knit year round. I don't do much of the outside thing, so if I'm working on something bigger I just crank up the AC.

Jan in CA
10-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Besides outdoor activities I think a lot has to do with the weather. We don't have a/c and I just can't knit when it's too hot, but fortunately that doesn't last long. :teehee:

annomalley
10-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Wisconsin summers can get very humid and hot, and it's not very comfortable to handle wool when it's hot. I didn't stop knitting over the summer, I just switched to knitting dishcloths. The last thing you want to think about when it's 90 degrees and the humidity is 110% is scarves and mittens and sweaters. :hot:

Pink Dandelion
10-21-2007, 01:38 AM
I usually knit year round... this summer though I didn't knit much simply because I was busier with outdoorsy things than I was in the fall and winter.

Debkcs
10-21-2007, 04:11 AM
We do pretty much the same things year 'round. DH works on his hobbies and plays his bass, reads, etc. I knit, sew, clean house. The usual routines.

Three days a week, we have our grand daughter, so long walks are in order. Other than that, with the AC, we can do anything in the house we want. As far as 'muggy', in this part of Oregon we don't do muggy ~ ;) ~ we do rain.

Plantgoddess+
10-21-2007, 09:14 AM
I live in the country and have a large vegetable garden and a huge yard. I also have friends that I hike, bike, kayak, horseback ride with. I don't spend much time in the house, I even go to bed before dark in order to be up at dawn to do chores. Basically just no time.

giedre11
10-21-2007, 01:03 PM
I like to knit year round myself. When it's hotter than hot, I love to envision the upcoming fall and cooler weather. I know I'll be wearing the sweaters I'm making so I go at it full force! I think part of the "problem" of some folks not knitting year round is not only do people do more outside when the weather is warm, but also the wool yarns are just not there. I find that beginning around the end of Aug more and more wool yarns are available and it just spurs me on to complete the projects I've started so I can start some more!

Braden
10-21-2007, 01:07 PM
A Mississippi summer is so hot and humid, that most of the time you can't stay outside for prolonged periods of time. But, I stay inside with the a/c turned on, and knit.

But, in the fall, it's nice and cool outside, and I knit outdoors.

losnana
10-21-2007, 01:08 PM
I live in Virginia, where it is VERY hot and humid. Even today! But I knit year round. In the air conditioning I've even used wool in August, although mostly I knit with something other than wool in the summer.

Jenn_Knitter
10-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I definitely don't feel as motivated to knit in the summer, but I try to do it anyway. I'll work on things like light socks, bags, dishcloths, etc. It's so hot here in the summer that we don't do too much outdoors. The exceptions would be family cookouts and gardening.

Kels Joy.
10-21-2007, 01:12 PM
i spend most of my summers at lake erie in ohio, and its veryy hot and humid most of the time. we have these tiny trailers with a/c, but they're way too small to stay in too long, so i usually knit on the porch at night when its cooler. but there have been times where i've knitted on the beach, and i've seen several ladies doing the same. i guess it must be a preference thing.

jdee
10-21-2007, 01:35 PM
I knit all year, too. I just have to knit indoors with the air conditioning on during the summer, because Texas summers can be pretty brutal.

Songbirdy
10-21-2007, 02:38 PM
I do knit... since I've become more attached.

But mainly I didn't before because it was too hot and humid and we didn't have A/C... and because I was just plain ol' busy with outside activities and farm work.

ArtLady1981
10-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi'ya! :waving: For some folks...knitting is an "inside by the fireplace, warm 'n' cozy" hobby! They get busy in the Fall...knitting Christmas gifts perhaps. In the Spring...they are outside with their feet in the soil and they hands on their plants and flowers!

Or, they are jogging around the lake. Or, they are rowing a boat, fishing, hiking, swimming, surfing, and/or sightseeing!

Not too many knitters take a knitting cozy on their belt so they can knit as they jog or walk. :teehee: My favorite designer (Elsebeth Lavold) does! I saw her! :eyebrow:

cindygster
10-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Personally, this past summer was the first one I've had as a knitter...I really didn't even think twice about the season in comparison to the crafts at hand, but I did stick with a small blanket that I made to use at work (they could prolly store beef in my office it's so cold in this place). The only problem I encountered was that my boyf and I try to avoid turning on the air conditioning unless it's unbearable, which led to sweaty palms on my part whenever I worked on my knitting. That really made it difficult to knit as it cause more grip on my skin and the yarn wasn't as easy to work with.

Other than that I plan to be a year-round knitter!!:yay:

McKnitty
10-22-2007, 01:29 PM
I've never thought of knitting as a winter hobby. I knit all year. Perhaps it is because I live in a warmer climate and don't knit for warmth. I've knit a sleeveless shell, several purses, teddy bears, and many other things that aren't winter related.

I just love to knit and will knit whenever I can find the time.

cranberry
10-22-2007, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't want to knit a blanket since it's on your lap and hot, but other than that I knit all year long.

MamaMer
10-22-2007, 01:46 PM
I try to knit all year around, just adjusting my fiber for the season--wool and other animal fibers for fall/winter and cotton, linen, bamboo etc for spring/summer.

Sadly, this summer, since I got preggers, I had this weird aversion to any fiber, even thinking about knitting made me nauseous :(

Silver
10-22-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't get it either. I live in hot, humid Florida and knit absolutely ALL year long without any concern for the weather. I even knit outside, in the heat. The only alteration I make is how I hold the yarn. If my hands are sticky, I don't have to wind the yarn as much through my fingers to get the same tension.