PDA

View Full Version : To every newbie out there

brittyknits
10-21-2007, 12:57 AM
When you're feeling frustrated and can't figure things out, take heart:
I have been knitting for over 40 years, every kind of needle, every kind of yarn, every kind of pattern, every kind of technic, including teaching all of the above. I have been working on a sweater for the past 2 months. Any perusal of the many, many websites for corrections will tell you how many errors there are in knitting books. So no surprise that there were a couple of glaring mistakes in the directions in this pattern, which I cleverly fixed as I went along. Tonight, I was putting on the neckband, and realized, uh oh, those weren't errors, yes they were, no they weren't, yes they were, no they weren't, and finally came to the inargueable conclusion that oh yes indeed, the pattern was absolutely correct and this would have come out perfectly had I left well enough alone. Several choice words later, I began that time-honored ritual of picking out the shoulder seams and the casting off, and then pulling back far more yarn than I care to tell you.
So just be reassured when you, too, are in the midst of the deepest pond, with the biggest bull frogs imaginable, ripping your stitches (and heart) out, it ain't just you, baby. It happens to the very, very best of us.
Oh, and another reassurance-- even with all of my experience, my hand is also raised for not being able to figure out the provisional cast on video on this site-- I tried it out of curiosity after reading other posts, and I can kind of make it work, but it comes out really sloppy and I'm getting 2 cast on stitches with each maneuver. Jan's link is to the one I've always used and it really works well.

scout52
10-21-2007, 02:56 AM
Wow that's a great post. i read it as I took a break from seaming a sweater for my brother that i had to keep reseaming bc for some reason it just wont come out right. that just made me feel so much better thank you. :hug::hug::hug::hug:

knitwit
10-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Awesome words of advice- thank you!

brittyknits
10-21-2007, 07:03 PM
You're so very welcome-- just wish I hadn't had to suffer so much to be of assistance:).
By the way-- someone PMed me because they didn't understand the pond/bull frog bit; I was referring to frogging on a massive level:).

AngMac
10-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Thank you so much! Your post made me feel so much better.

I just started on my very first lace scarf and I have so far ripped it out completely 4 times and frogged it 6 times. I got so frustrated I ripped it out for the last time and put it to the away to come back to later. Its the first time I have tried knitting something using a chart. So, it is very comforting to know that even knitters with way more years of experience than I have still have the occassional oops.

brittyknits
10-21-2007, 09:12 PM
And by the way, AngMac, when you say the "occasional oops"-- oh yes, this is not the *only* occasion. It does happen less often the more experienced you get, but trust me, any regular knitter who claims, oh it's been yeeeeears since I've had to rip back, is just flat out lying through their teeth:).

toomuch
10-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks brittyknits for that great post. I'm still so new to knitting that I can't rip it out because I won't know how to get my needles back in there. I'm sticking with the small projects and inexpensive yarn so that I just throw it away if I mess up. Thanks for the encouragement!
Julie