PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite old movie?

KnitClickChick
10-21-2007, 08:26 AM
I love nothing more in the winter than being curled up on the couch, with a nice hot cup of tea or coffee, my knitting and a great black and white on the TV. A few of my favorites are Queen Bee - with Joan Crawford. Mommy Dearest or not, she was a fantastic actress! Gas Light - Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer. The Heiress - Olivia de Havilland and Montgomery Clift, one of the best movies ever, imo. I love Hitchcock too, Rear Window, Psycho, The Birds. Pillow Talk with Doris Day and Rock Hudson. How could I forget Bringing Up Baby?! That's a great one, always makes me laugh!

KnittingNat
10-21-2007, 09:20 AM
How about "Casablanca"? Anothe favourite :"Some like it hot". There are many more of course, and some old Russian movies.

Knitting_Guy
10-21-2007, 09:52 AM
I like pretty much all of the old Bogie movies. The 40s era had a lot more style than what is coming out of Hollyweird today.

dustinac
10-21-2007, 10:03 AM
I can't pick just one...I'm a big classic fan...

Little Women (E.Taylor)
Philadelphia Story
Since You Went Away
The Best Years of our Lives
Sabrina
The Women
12 Angry Men
Holiday Inn
Christmas in Ct
Now Voyager
Imitation of Life
Yankee Doodle Dandy
The Shop around the Corner
The Glenn Miller Story
Thin Man Movies
Cary Grant Movies lol
Adam's Rib
The Woman of the Year
The Man who came to dinner
The Apartment
Sunset Blvd
I want to live
Phone call from a Stranger
Royal Wedding
Angels w/dirty Faces
State Fair
The Egg and I
Pride of the Yankees
All about Eve
Streetcar named Desire
Double Indemnity
Moonlight Bay
Pocket of Miracles
By the light of the Sivlery Moon
Miracle of the Bells
White Christmas
An Affair to Remeber
Roman Holiday

ok those are the ones I can think of sitting here... and looking over at my dvd collection... tons more I'm sure...:teehee:

zkimom
10-21-2007, 11:13 AM
I'd like to double Dustinac's vote for the Thin Man Movies and add Harvey to her already amazing list.

cdjack
10-21-2007, 11:22 AM
I like To Kill a Mockingbird, Sabrina, and As You Like It. Oh, and I can't remember the name of it, but that movie with James Garner and Sandra Dee.

auburnchick
10-21-2007, 12:10 PM
How old?

My personal favorite is Gone With the Wind.

Braden
10-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Either "Gone with the Wind" or "Free and Easy" (1930)

Phaedra
10-21-2007, 01:42 PM
"The Lion in Winter" with Katherine Hepburn, Peter O'Toole and Anthony Hopkins.
"The Prime of Miss Jane Brodie" with Maggie Smith.

Silver
10-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Gone With The Wind
My Fair Lady
Fiddler On The Roof (watching it right now)
How To Marry A Millionaire
An Affair To Remember
The Sting

rosefields
10-21-2007, 03:44 PM
:muah:Brigadoon:muah: with Gene Kelly and Van Johnson.

PurlyGyrl
10-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Dustinac :hug: I love your list and say Oh Yeah to all your choices and I'll add:

Rebecca
Rear Window
Vertigo
The Birds
Yep, I love Hitchcock!
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Arsenic and Old Lace
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
A Night to Remember
The Day the Earth Caught Fire
The Haunting
By the Light of the Silvery Moon
Tea for Two
The Crawling Eye
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Earth v. the Flying Saucers
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
War of the Worlds (NOT the Tom Cruise crap)
Yep, I love 1950s sci-fi too!
Meet Me in St. Louis
Enchanted Cottage
All the Charlie Chan movies
All the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies
Murder She Said
Murder on a Honeymoon

OK. I'll stop now. :teehee: It really is impossible to list JUST ONE.

Mariblue
10-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Arsenic and Old Lace with Cary Grant. It's one of my favorite old movies, and just so much fun to watch!

Jan in CA
10-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Oh boy..I can't pick just one..or even two or three. Pretty much anything with Cary Grant, Doris Day, Kathryn Hepburn, uh..now my mind has gone blank. :doh:

I watched Fiddler on the Roof last week!

debinoz
10-21-2007, 04:04 PM
All '50's scifi, Most of the old murder mysteries (not the crime drama), anything with William Powell in it. I don't really go for the "major" classics, like GWTW and Casablanca. I like the off-beat "b" movies.

chiricahuagal
10-21-2007, 04:14 PM
how about The Quiet Man, John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara?

figaro
10-21-2007, 04:33 PM
I absolutely LOVE the old musicals-

Fiddler on the Roof
Meet me in St. Louis
Oklahoma
Singin' in the Rain
The King and I
Flower Drum Song
Paint your Wagon
That's Entertainment!

There are more but my brain is not what it used to be!

dustinac
10-21-2007, 04:36 PM
The movie that comes to mind with Sandra Dee and him is A Man could get killed??

Papergirl~ How could I forget the Ghost and Mrs. Muir!! and Virtgo and Meet me in St. Louis...

The quiet man that is a good one...

I did think of another today With a Song in my Heart...I'd Climb the HIghest Mountain...Giant...Magnificent Obsession :teehee:

I love these movies I don't really watch today's movies and if I do I'm left disappointed...so I watch the classics...

I haven't seen this movie in a long time and I can't remeber who the guy lead is... He is married and they have a daughter...the wife leaves...years later at the little girl's b-day party she comes back...the little girl doesn't find out who she is though until a friend draws her a photo of her mom...:shrug:

Mommy22alyns
10-21-2007, 04:42 PM
I love Doris Day - pair her with Cary Grant and there's one of my favorite movies - That Touch of Mink. I also love The Thrill of it All and a bunch of other Doris Day movies. The Women, Mildred Pierce... and of course Gone With the Wind!

auburnchick
10-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Oh, I also love the movie The Sound of Music.

::::::::::::::::::sigh of contentment:::::::::::::::::::::

JessicaR
10-21-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't know if this movie would be considered "old," but my favorite movie of all time is Harold and Maude.

meearnol
10-21-2007, 10:49 PM
My favorite, favorite, favorite old movie is Imitation of Life. I cry every time I watch it. After that it's probably The Bad Seed and An Affair to Remember.

And I watched Fiddler on the Roof today, too!

Riss
10-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Oh man.. I love old movies...

Dr. Dolittle (1967)
My Fair Lady
The King and I
Hatari!
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Ugly Daschund
Operation Petticoat
Father Goose (one of my all time favorite movies ever)
National Velvet

Thats all I can think of right now. Great topic! *dance*

ladyjessica
10-22-2007, 12:21 AM
My all-time favorite is Gone With The Wind, but I also love Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, Wuthering Heights, Rebecca, Psycho, Rear Window (any Hitchcock, really), It's A Wonderful Life, White Christmas, all the old school musicals - Sound of Music, Oklahoma, My Fair Lady, etc. I tend to prefer old movies over most of what's made today.

NinaT
10-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Boy! It was hard to find some that y'all hadn't said!! I LOVE Harvey and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Also, how about Goodbye Mr. Chips, Mrs. Miniver (I love Greer Garson) and Penny Serenade?

cftwo
10-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Has anyone mentioned "You Can't Take it With You"? Great great movie from the '30s, I believe. "The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer" is a nice light movie. "Philadelphia Story" is another one of my favorites.

Abbily
10-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Wow, we need to have a knitting/movie fest sometime!! I'm pretty sure my favorites have all been listed, but I'll list a few of them anyway.

Breakfast at Tiffanys - my absolute favorite

An Affair to Remember
Anything Audrey Hepburn
Gone With the Wind
The King & I - Yul Brynner
Fiddler on the Roof
Casablanca

And many more... :)

Kaydee
10-22-2007, 09:17 AM
You all have some lists there! Some of my faves are A Streetcar Named Desire, Breakfast at Tiffanys, Kiss Me Kate...I like old musicals too.

P.S., Mason I like the new avatar!

msoebel
10-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Breakfast at Tiffanys
My Fair Lady
A Streetcar Called Desire
An Affair to Remember
Arsenic and Old Lace

CASABLANCA...everyone knows it for a reason...it's AMAZING. Of course, I love Bogart so much I named my beta after him...:muah:

I don't particulary love his movies, but since we are talking about old movies, I love to watch Fred Astaire move...that man was like a cat!

Misty

Louine
10-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Splendar in the Grass with Natalie Wood is my all time favorite.

jcmom
10-22-2007, 10:15 AM
The original Father of the Bride with Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor. It's a hoot.

Luvmyrottnboy
10-22-2007, 10:40 AM
"breakfast at tiffany's"

"all about eve"

Nan101
10-22-2007, 12:33 PM
I love old movies. I would have to say my favorite would have to be, I remember Mama, with Irene Dunn. Looking over at my collection it seems we all love the same movies. It's been a slow and expensive road replacing all my VHS with DVD. My husband and I were just talking a couple days ago about how to protect my collection. If there was a fire, I would be devistated. I also love period pieces. Give me 6 hours of Pride and Prejudice and my knitting and I'm one happy camper.

ladyjessica
10-22-2007, 01:35 PM
I :heart: Colin Firth. :aww:

brendajos
10-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Well I am pretty content with most of what is listed. I love old movies and happily can watch most any of them. When I need a fix I almost always will pull out one of the following though:
GWTW
12 Angry Men
Pillow Talk
Wizard of Oz
Sound of Music
That Touch of Mink

The one I absolutely hate though? (yes I do say this, knowing it will likely get me beaten with a knitting needle.) It's a Wonderful Life. seeeeeriously I hate it a LOT! :shrug:

PurlyGyrl
10-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Brendajos: I won't beat you with a knitting needle:noway:--although I do love Its a Wonderful Life-its kinda of an acquired taste and there are parts that just grate on my last nerve :teehee:(especially the kid endlessly practicing Hark the Herald Angels Sing on the piano!!!)

feministmama
10-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Dontcha love that scene in Rebecca where the maid shows off the dead woman's underwear? Freaky.

PurlyGyrl
10-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Oh, yes, the show-off-the-closet scene--Judith Anderson is so GREAT in Rebecca-she does this weird thing with her eyes :zombie: that makes you automatically say "Yep, one brick short of load there, Mrs. Danvers."

stacyk9
10-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Great topic. Although most of the old movies I like are of the Christmas variety:

Christmas Carol (w/George C. Scott)
It's A Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street (old, not new!!!)
Christmas in CT
Holiday Inn
White Christmas
I can't wait for them to air this season!!!

Some other older movies I like:

The Birds
Same Time Next Year (not as old as the others)

Ah. Good ole' movies. Just don't make them like they used to, and I wasn't even born when most of these came out!!!

letah75
10-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Ok, their not "old" per say, but they're not new either.

Under The Rainbow and Clue

two movies I could watch over and over....and I'm not a movie watcher.

stitchwitch
10-22-2007, 04:50 PM
I have seriously never seen any of these movies listed. I started It''s Wonderful Life one year but bored of it real quickly. We have the old movie channel but I don't think I've ever watched it past the 3 seconds I can take to change the channel.
You guys are die hards, I'm in awe. :cheering:

KnitClickChick
10-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I think movies today are very disappointing, for me at least. That is why I love the old ones so much. I could just sit all day and watch TCM or AMC!!

flea
10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Since it's October A&E has been doing these all day/night Hitchcock runs and I'm in heaven. I love it!

They actually played Rope the other day and that's one of my all time favorites. Then they followed it with endless replays of Psycho and The Birds which get their share of the attention and more. Strangers on a Train and Dial M for Murder are another couple of my faves that often get lost in the majors.

Mariblue
10-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Oh, I've seen Strangers on a Train, that's a good one!

Sharly
10-23-2007, 10:39 AM
ANYthing with Jimmy Stewart!!!

Abbily
10-23-2007, 11:07 AM
ANYthing with Jimmy Stewart!!!

Oh man, how could I forget to list "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"!! I love that movie...

Sharly
10-23-2007, 11:43 AM
If things had been different, I could have been seriously in love with Jimmy Stewart!! :heart:

cheesiesmom
10-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Nobody mentioned (I don't think) the Marx Bros. Day at the Races, Night at the Opera, Animal Crackers, Duck Soup. Silly/funny.

I'm also a big fan of Woody Allen films: Radio Days, Zelig, Annie Hall, Sleeper.

Of Human Bondage, Now Voyager, Stella Dallas, Night and Day, Three Little Words, Boys Town, Captains Courageous, San Francisco, The Shop Around the Corner. Drums Along the Mohawk, Since you went away.

And just about everything else everyone mentioned.

Then, there's also the ones that, if I'm flipping channels and it's on, no matter where in the movie, I'll watch to the end: The Godfather I and II, Steel Magnolias, Fried Green Tomatoes, Sleepless in Seattle.

If I ever become bedridden, just make sure I have Turner Classic Movies.

Sharly
10-23-2007, 01:59 PM
If I ever become bedridden, just make sure I have Turner Classic Movies.

:thumbsup:I'm with you on that one!! Last year I was sick in bed, and we don't have a television in the bedroom, so I kept entertained by watching DVDs on my laptop...that was a great help.

ladyjessica
10-23-2007, 02:07 PM
I think movies today are very disappointing, for me at least. That is why I love the old ones so much. I could just sit all day and watch TCM or AMC!!
I totally agree, although I've been disappointed with AMC for the past several years. I'm sorry, Scream 3 is not an american movie classic. But anyhoo, lol. We don't get TCM, sadly, or that's probably about all I'd ever watch.

PurlyGyrl
10-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Lady Jessica, I so agree with your assessment of AMC--they've been showing a lot of newer stuff-Waterworld and Lara Croft just don't fit my idea of classics :shrug:

dustinac
10-23-2007, 05:22 PM
I agree..sometimes in the morning you can catch a classic but for the most part they haven't been...but my idea of classics is different from like dh's... he thinks Jaws is and Godfather and I disagree not old enough...

I don't like hearing how George Clooney is Cary Grant... No he isn't... there is only 1 Cary Grant :tap:(okey dokey done with my tiny little ol' vent)

brendajos, yeah there are some parts of the wonder life I'm like aww and will sit and watch but for the most part I don't...

Wizard of Oz...can't watch that movie...but my little girl loves it and that makes my dad happy...he finally has someone to watch his favorite movie with :teehee:

bjc1050
10-23-2007, 08:05 PM
I love anything with Maureen OHara. The Wings Of Eagles comes to mind...also The Long Grey Line.

Love some musicals, too like Singin In The Rain...true entertainment!

Most anything with Frank Sinatra.

Itsabtme
10-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Wow, just sitting here reading everyone's fav's and saying to myself...oooohh I love that one too!!

An Affair to Remember
Sound of Music
Wizard of Oz

I LOVE them ALL:inlove:, but pretty much any old black & white with Bing Crosby, Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra. I love anything from that era...........sigh............:aww:

sarahzknitty
10-23-2007, 10:09 PM
It Happened One Night
Clark Gable - can't go wrong with Clark!
:aww:

Quiltlady
10-24-2007, 03:22 AM
Here is my list.

Mr. Skeffington
Now Voyager
Dark Victory
Jane Eyre
The Enchanted Cottage
Whuthering Heights
Gaslight
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

Just to name a few.:cheering:

PurlyGyrl
10-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Quiltlady: Oh, I could I forget Now Voyager (the scene where Paul Henreid--swoon :thud:--lights Bette Davis' cigarette and she says: "Oh Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars" just slays me) and Dark Victory (:waah: though the whole thing since I know whats going to happen)

cheesiesmom
10-24-2007, 08:19 PM
I love everybody's favs too. My DH and I were just doing the same thing tonight...(me)I love (fill in the blank); (he) Yeah you love everything, but what about...(fillin the blank).

It's nice to know ya'll out there loving the same films I do. (((hugs))) to all!!!

ladyjessica
10-24-2007, 10:42 PM
I love anything with Maureen OHara. The Wings Of Eagles comes to mind...also The Long Grey Line.

Love some musicals, too like Singin In The Rain...true entertainment!

Most anything with Frank Sinatra.

Oh, Maureen O'Hara was SO beautiful! I loved her in The Quiet Man and McClintock. (Yes, I'm a girl and I like John Wayne movies....lol).

I also love Singin' In the Rain.....Moses...Supposes...His Toeses....Are Roses.....hehe

There are just soooo many wonderful films out there. Some of my other favorites are Disney films like The Parent Trap (original) and Pollyanna, and also film noir like Laura.

dustinac
10-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Now Voyager is one of my favorite Davis movies... she was good in anything though... :teehee:

We went to a movie rental place tonight and I seen Mister Roberts...I love Cagney...why didn't I list more of his movies? and Man of a Thousand Faces...and Ragtime...The Strawberry Blonde...