PDA

View Full Version : Need help organizing

knitpurlgurl
10-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Okay, I am a fairly inexperienced knitted. But already, I have amassed a collection of odds and ends for my knitting that seems to filter throughout my house. Needles are becoming a problem, in as I keep buying them and they end up all over my house thanks to curious kiddos. I need a way to store my needles, yarns, and supplies. Also, I keep my current projects in clear plastic bags and put them on a shelf. This is about the only organization I have right now.

I was also wondering about the needle sets. I've seen lots of different interchangeable needle sets. I've heard various pros and cons about these. Can anyone give me their honest opinions?

Can anyone help me with ball winders and swifts? I think I need to buy these because I have gotten alot of hanks as presents and I need to be able to wind them. My local yarn shop won't wind fo you unless you buy their yarns and I don't know where these yarns came from.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Brandilyne
10-21-2007, 09:53 AM
knitpurlgirl, I have the same problem with my needles being all over the place! I've gone to keeping all of my circs in a big shoe box for now (all my dpns are in a makeup pouch and then in this box as well) and all of my straights go in a small skinny tote bag that hangs on the handle of the door to my armoire; very easy to see the sizes poking up out of the top! Oh, I also keep a whole bunch in a vase on top of the armoire :) I want to make myself a very cool needle holder at some point from a whole bunch of recycled sweater felt, but for now this is working for me!

As for a ball winder, I got a super cheapy one from joann.com when they were having a 40% off one item sale and it cost me around $28 with shipping after the discount. It works great for me! I just hold the hank in one hand draped over an arm since I don't have a swift yet, but I know lots of handy knitters have used other items as well! Like a homemade swift from tinker toys, a big lamp letting the shade rotate and of course the helpful loved one :teehee:

Can't help you with the Options, since I don't have them yet! :pout: They are on my Christmas list though :mrgreen:

Knitting_Guy
10-21-2007, 09:58 AM
A good knitting bag big enough to hold all of your tools as well as a large project is very handy. I have a large bag with lots of pockets where all of my stuff lives, and a small backpack I use to carry the current project and the tools for that project (I'm always carrying it into truckstops and such).

I'm a big fan of the Options set. It comes in it's own binder and helps keep everything organized.

Plastic totes are a good way to store yarn. I use canvas tote bags for mine as they are soft and take up less room in my rig.

stirsmommy
10-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Right now, I have mostl of my circ that aren't in projects in my options organizer. The rest are running amok all over the house. My projects are in yarn store bags but I am thinking see through or different colors would certainly make it easier to pick up a specific project and go. As to the yarn, well, I got one of those three drawer things on wheels. I don't know if it looked bigger in the store if I am in serious denial. I do have a lot that I am using for Christmas projects but I would be happier if it were just better organized.

Ingrid
10-21-2007, 10:10 AM
I keep my circs in a holder called the Circular Solution. I love it. As long as I put them back when I'm done, :shifty:, they stay organized and straight.

I also have the Options set and I love it. I would recommend it to anyone.

I keep my yarn in pop-up hampers, divided by type, and apparently I keep my dpns under the couch cushions. :teehee:

Here's a pic of the Circular Solutions since I happen to have one.

Plantgoddess+
10-21-2007, 10:25 AM
I use an old laptop briefcase that used to belong to hubby. Several nice big compartments for pattern books, current projects, and lots of smaller zippered compartments for all the paraphenlia that goes along with knitting.
I also have an old machinist tool box of hubbys that sits in my closet that has multiple felt lined varied size drawers. That contains all my various needles and supplies. The top lifts up and will hold enough yarn for several projects.
Unfortunately the rest of my stash and patterns live in my office in the barn in cupboards and filing cabinets.

cindygster
10-21-2007, 10:30 AM
I definitely feel your plight...I had the same problem: had a $5 tote bag with one little zipper pocket to house supplies for a readily intensifying addiction.

I had submitted a post for this tote I bought from Joann.com and it's AWESOME!! :cheering: There's a home for everything in this bag, and eyelets to string your yarn through so you'll never have to fumble for it. I went into some more detail about the pros and con's in my previous post about it.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3015&PRODID=prd37812

I also found this one on Michaels.com that is of the same manufacturer, but smaller than the one on Joann.com:

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=nw0234&channelid=

I know the orange looks obscenely bright in the photos, but honestly, it's more of a pumpkin orange rather than florescent. After getting that tote I have no need for any other "stash management" system other than a basket to hold my standby yarn.

Hope that helps!:knitting:

Doublereeder2
10-21-2007, 10:46 AM
I keep some of my yarn in baskets in a cabinet and the rest in bags in a big rattan box with a lid behind the sofa. Oh, and then there is the basket next to the sofa with more yarn....

The Addis are in their original pouches in a plastic 3 drawer rolling thingy also behind the sofa as are miscellaneous little supplies. Current projects and my Options are next to the sofa in another basket - easily accessible. Swift is in a fabric bag on top of the big rattan box and the ball winder is in the cabinet.

Straights are in a glass vase on the mantle. I carry my current project in various bags (from KnitPicks) or whatever I am toting that day. Or it goes in the big pocket on my oboe gig bag if I am headed to work.:note:

It is mostly out of sight or somewhat neatly stacked since my husband and I are not into clutter. This is my organized chaos. :cool:

Lisa R.
10-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm still working on organization, but for now, I have a big duffel bag in the closet with my stash (which is rapidly outgrowing this home!), and a little box for overflow stuff. I have several little totes and things for projects of various sizes. I also bought a thing from the travel bag section at Target that has several pockets for stuff, and I have several little zipper pouches in there for yarn needles, point protectors, stitch markers, etc. Double points fit in one pouch, along with a few crochet hooks for mistakes, and a ruler and usually my needle gauge.

My circulars are in the Options case they came in (LOVE my Options), and my straights are in a vase on my desk.

Otherwise, misc. stuff is scattered here and there,though I do try to keep it contained.

Knitting_Guy
10-21-2007, 12:00 PM
The orange tote is really nice. I have the larger one shown here: http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=nw0231

Jenn_Knitter
10-21-2007, 01:21 PM
I have a roll-up needle case that I made to keep my DPNs organized. It really helps because I used to keep them rubberbanded in sets, but one or two would always fall out and roll under the couch. If you do a Google search you can find a ton of patterns for very simple to make roll-up needle cases. I use a repurposed paint can (thoroughly cleaned out) to store my straight needles in. I jazzed it up a bit by wrapping different strips of neon colored Duct tape around it. :)

I keep my little objects like stitch markers, tapestry needles, etc. in a bead organizer box. I got mine at Michael's where they were two for a dollar. It's very small, maybe six inches wide, and has five compartments. Very handy to toss in my knitting bag.

I keep my yarn stash in Rubbermaid storage bins and separated by brand/type in large plastic bags. That way they don't get all tangled up inside the bins.

I don't own any circular needles aside from my Denise interchangeable set. I love it and can't imagine my knitting without it. It was definitely the best investment I've ever made, as far as knitting supplies are concnered. I use the set for knitting in the round and for flat knitting. There's a sticky thread at the top of this board that has several posts of people discussing their interchangeable set of preference. I'm a Denise fan, myself, but many people love the KnitPicks Options set as well. :)

losnana
10-21-2007, 01:37 PM
I LOVE my Options set! If you're seriously considering getting interchangeables, there is a thread and poll here on the different brands.

cindygster
10-21-2007, 01:50 PM
I have a roll-up needle case that I made to keep my DPNs organized

Could you share that pattern??:cheering: I had found a Joann.com pattern for a felted needle case, but it didn't look like there was anything that would keep the needles in place. It was just folded fabric with a pocket...no flap on top to keep them from falling out or anything.