PDA

View Full Version : It helps to have a sense of humor!!

Lisa R.
10-21-2007, 10:59 AM
I wanted a quick fun knit, so I've been doing Amanda's Squatty Sidekick (http://www.knittingdaily.com/freepatterns/felted_items/45-1.html), thinking it would be good for my dd's Christmas.

Well, last night I was so close that when dh said goodnight, I said, "I'll be up in a few minutes...I just have a little bit more to go before I'm done."

Well, an hour an a half later, with only my ds still sitting up with me, I finished my last stitch and yanked the bag up with a triumphant, "Voila!" and just burst into laughter. Somehow I got my count off or something (still need to review pattern and find my mistake), but there was my cute little bag....with the cute little handles on from front to back, and the cute little flap/loop on the end! Oh my!:roll:

There is no way I was going to consider frogging all the way back through that handle...it just wasn't worth it to me, so I thought the whole thing was a complete waste. But in the end, I looked at it and decided if I frogged back the flap and just bound off with the edge of the bag, I could just have a little bag with handles going the other way and no closure.

I was just laughing so hard...my son looked at my bag and looked at me and said, "You're obviously a little too tired!":roflhard:

Obviously, when one is knitting late at night, one should occasionally pick up the whole project and look at it, just in case!

zkimom
10-21-2007, 11:08 AM
I feel for ya! My first "Squatty" came out looking pretty much like yours.

After frogging and paying more attention, it came out really cute. Worth the do over for the results.

Good luck!

Susan (who's had her share of late night project disasters!)

Ingrid
10-21-2007, 11:15 AM
There have been many mornings when I pick up the piece I knit late into the night and just have to :??. I'm always so sure I'm right on, too. :teehee:

Lisa R.
10-21-2007, 11:24 AM
I feel for ya! My first "Squatty" came out looking pretty much like yours.

After frogging and paying more attention, it came out really cute. Worth the do over for the results.

Good luck!

Susan (who's had her share of late night project disasters!)

Well, that's encouraging!!!

Plantgoddess+
10-21-2007, 12:48 PM
:noway::noway::noway: Been there.

msoebel
10-22-2007, 11:15 AM
If knit when one is wide awake, how big is the squatty? I don't know how I never saw it before, but wouldn't that be cute for a four year old with booga bag envy?:)

Misty

marykz
10-22-2007, 11:27 AM
my felted sidekicks are about 8 inches wide, and the bag part is about 6 inches high, plus handle.

the handle should grow from where you did the increases on the short sides of the bottom rectangle. I had trouble at first with the counting and the increases and the handles. I ended up putting markers at all 4 "corners" to keep me on track, not just for the end of the round.

try again!!!

Sanibelle
10-22-2007, 02:44 PM
I really like this pattern - I have made a bunch of them - stick with it cause it really is worth it.

When I made mine - the size really depended on the yarn I used. The first one I made felted so quickly. It was so little I gave it to my 8 year old neic

When I used Cascade 220, they turned out great and just the right size - probably 10 by 7 or so.

Good luck with it... do not give up - you will love it when it is done.

Lisa R.
11-01-2007, 09:56 PM
my felted sidekicks are about 8 inches wide, and the bag part is about 6 inches high, plus handle.

the handle should grow from where you did the increases on the short sides of the bottom rectangle. I had trouble at first with the counting and the increases and the handles. I ended up putting markers at all 4 "corners" to keep me on track, not just for the end of the round.

try again!!!

I think this gets to where I'm having my issue. Maybe I picked up stitches backwards or something (I'm on bag #2!) When I finished picking up stitches, I'm at a corner of the short side, heading down the long side....which will make my increases right about where my handles were on attempt #1....so I should be starting my round at the corner and heading down the short side so that my increases are on the short ends of the bag, right?

(If that is right, I'm going to be totally amazed---It just dawned on me that was probably it--and before I finished the increases, too! Maybe I am finally getting the hang of this knitting stuff!!!)

Oh...and if this is the case, can I just sort of undo the couple of increase rows and move my start-of-the-round marker back to the previous corner and just keep going? Or must I frog back to the bottom of the bag?