PDA

View Full Version : younger knitters without drivers licenses?

Kels Joy.
10-21-2007, 01:26 PM
i loveee knitting so much, but i'm the only one in my family who does it. although my parents support me, the only LYS around is 20 minutes away, and as everyone knows- most yarn doesnt run cheap. needless to say my mom doesnt like having to run me all the way out there, only to have to help me pay for yarn i need for a project. plus, i dont have a job because i'm too busy with after school activities, and i dont have my lisence yet so i can't exactly get myself there. and my mom doesnt like the idea of having me charge yarn online to her credit card- specially cus i can't pay her back for it currently.
does anyone else have this problem? how do you deal with it?

suzeeq
10-21-2007, 01:35 PM
If there's a craft store near you like Joann's, hobby lobby, hancock fabrics, or michael's, they carry some nicer yarns that may cost much less than at the LYS. They're usually located in shopping centers, so maybe there's one in the center where your mom might be shopping anyway.

Plantgoddess+
10-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Not the same, as I am a grown up (way grown up), but live in a rural area.
I have found yarn at yard sales, thrift stores and if you can accumulate enough money to open a checking account, there is always Pay Pal for online shopping.
Mention that you're a knitter to everyone you talk to and you may find people with yarn or partly done projects they just want to get rid of but don't want to throw away.

cindygster
10-21-2007, 02:12 PM
I don't necessarily have the problem of no license to go get yarn and supplies, but I am a very lazy driver...I don't drive out to Joann's, etc unless I am just beside myself and can't go for another minute without buying a particular yarn or something. Plus I just simply dislike Joann's actual stores altogether...But I'll order online! I know that prolly doesn't help your situation much, but thought I'd put in my two cents.:knitting:

Knitting_Guy
10-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Perhaps you could suggest to your mother that she get a prepaid credit/debit card for online purchases as yarn can be found cheaper online.

These cards are safer for online purchases as they can only be used to spend whatever amount is preloaded on them, so she wouldn't have to risk her personal credit card info.

Just a thought.

cindygster
10-21-2007, 02:17 PM
That was a really great suggestion! I hadn't even thought of those cards!

Lisa R.
10-21-2007, 05:14 PM
And if she'll let you get the card (we use that for online purchases anyway!), maybe she'll let you do extra stuff around the house to earn money for your yarn needs.

Pink Dandelion
10-21-2007, 05:31 PM
My suggestion is convert your mother ;)

Once she catches the knitting bug, not only will you no longer be knitting alone, but she'll be dragging you, to the yarn store. Then when she spends $60 on yarn just 'cause it's pretty, she'll think it no big deal if you ask for $20 worth for a pair of socks!

And then if your mom is really generous - when she's reached SBLE (Stash Beyond Life Expectancy) she'll realize that she no longer has an excuse to keep buying yarn unless you knit out of their stash too (like my mom did!) :thumbsup:

I feel this would be the best solution to your problem... :mrgreen:

madametj
10-21-2007, 05:59 PM
i can relate way too much to that! even though i'm 17 and "should" have my licence, i don't have it just as yet so i have the same problem.

i had enough money in my savings account so my mom had no problem with me getting a debit card for me. (i've only bought alloy (http://store.alloy.com/frontpage.do) clothes with it so far, though :teehee:)

lately i've been selling knit armbands to the basketball players at school to get some cash to put on my card, but if you end up selling your knits, always and i mean always get the money before you give them the FO or you may never get your money at all.

so anyway, once i save up enough money, i'm going to buy my first online yarn at either knitpicks.com (http://knitpicks.com/) (they're having a huge sale right now!) or elann.com (http://elann.com/frames.asp). right now i'm thinking elann, because they're varigated cotton (http://elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=elann%2Ecom+Sonata+Print&Season=&Company=&Cat=ALLY&ProductType=5&OrderBy=+Order+By+Price&Count=6) is soo pretty and affordable! if i don't get that, i'll be getting some Wool of the Andes (http://knitpicks.com/Wool+of+the+Andes_YD5420103.html) (aka WOTA) from knitpicks. :woohoo:

madametj
10-21-2007, 06:03 PM
My suggestion is convert your mother ;)

Once she catches the knitting bug, not only will you no longer be knitting alone, but she'll be dragging you, to the yarn store. Then when she spends $60 on yarn just 'cause it's pretty, she'll think it no big deal if you ask for $20 worth for a pair of socks!

And then if your mom is really generous - when she's reached SBLE (Stash Beyond Life Expectancy) she'll realize that she no longer has an excuse to keep buying yarn unless you knit out of their stash too (like my mom did!) :thumbsup:

I feel this would be the best solution to your problem... :mrgreen:

that is the best tip ever! :roflhard:

Lisa R.
10-21-2007, 06:37 PM
that is the best tip ever! :roflhard:

I have to agree with that because my now-10yod wanted to learn to knit, so I had to learn to teach her---and now I'm addicted, and it's just like the other poster said---I'm always off buying yarn, and it seems awfully selfish to buy just for myself, so she's not really lacking in the yarn dept., either!

brittyknits
10-21-2007, 08:25 PM
What about getting a knitting club going at school? The teacher might organize a trip to buy yarn, and gee, how could your mother deny that you need supplies for a school project? I'm really corrupting a minor, here, aren't I:twisted:

madametj
10-21-2007, 08:39 PM
What about getting a knitting club going at school? The teacher might organize a trip to buy yarn, and gee, how could your mother deny that you need supplies for a school project? I'm really corrupting a minor, here, aren't I:twisted:

lol, another great tip.:teehee:

oh, and don't forget to tell people that you want yarn for Christmas, and specify that yarn in natural fibers can be found at Michaels, Hobby Lobby and Joanns. You can find cotton, and maybe some wool there, and i've even heard some carry alpaca!

Krystal
10-21-2007, 08:46 PM
I am a knitter and I don't drive... but I am an adult and can shop online... but again, I save that for specific projects, I am not filled with cash myself.

Is there a walmart in your area? If there is I would assume your mom is bound to make a trip or 2 there. Hopefully they have a good yarn selection, (certain stores have been downsizing) but you can find a nice assortment of good acrylics and some natural fibers. They run alot cheaper, than a LYS, so it can be easier for the jobless knitter.

:hug:

mwhite
10-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Perhaps you could suggest to your mother that she get a prepaid credit/debit card for online purchases as yarn can be found cheaper online.

These cards are safer for online purchases as they can only be used to spend whatever amount is preloaded on them, so she wouldn't have to risk her personal credit card info.

Just a thought.

This is a SUPER idea, or just save your allowance and with Mom's permission, the prepaid credit/debit cards makes perfect sense. I think you have to be 18 to purchase them anyway. $50 is alot of bucks but there are refillable ones that start at this amount. The non-refillables start at as little as $10.

We live in a rural area with no yarn stores around, so I use the refillable cards. With gas at between $3.50-$4.00 a gallon, living over 35 miles from a LYS, it makes way more sense to shop online anyway. I have a license but hate the long drive.

I have a paypal account and do not have a checking account. I used my card to open the account, sold a bunch of dishcloths and towel topper sets and keep the account going. It is not a verified account, so there are no fees. There aren't alot of major yarn companies that allow paypal, usually I just deal directly with Joanns.com and the refillable card.

Note to Mom- Encouraging your daughter's creative interests is a wonderful way to ensure healthy and constructive development. Learning handwork has kept many young people from getting involved in destructive behavior.

rachejm
10-22-2007, 06:56 AM
I'm 19 and can't drive, hated it, need to start again really. I don't shop online either because I don't have a credit card but my mom doesn't mind ordering for me sometimes. The rest of the time I hitch a ride if my parents are going somewhere with a yarn shop or hop on a bus/train. I'm in University at the moment so I'm living away from home, I recently discovered a great shop a short train journey from where I am. Charity shops sometimes have yarn and markets are good or you could find handknit jumpers and things and unravel them, might be cheaper that way - never tried it myself.

Samsam
10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm pretty lucky.
One day I was telling my mom "I'm sorry that I have so much yarn, I'm so addicted to it :("
and she said "It's better than being addicted to other things"

So...maybe she will realize that knitting is a good addiction and it makes you happy and everything. Maybe you can get rewarded yarn by receiving good grades on your report card or just for over coming a subject you were having trouble with.

If you have a good public library, you should suggest to the Young Adult department that they should have knitting programs and a club that meets monthly. If it's advertized in the middle and high schools, I'm sure enough teens would be interested. That is what I have at my library...one of the Young Adult librarians knits and she runs it along with a knitting teacher that comes once a month. The program has a budget that allows it to buy yarn, needles and other materials that anyone can use.

mwhite
10-22-2007, 08:07 PM
:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay: :yay:

Kels Joy.
10-23-2007, 04:28 PM

Just a thought.

i thought about this, but it didnt sound like such a good idea at the time, but now hearing it from someone else makes it sounds better lol. thankss.

Kels Joy.
10-23-2007, 04:31 PM
My suggestion is convert your mother

And then if your mom is really generous - when she's reached SBLE (Stash Beyond Life Expectancy) she'll realize that she no longer has an excuse to keep buying yarn unless you knit out of their stash too (like my mom did!)

I feel this would be the best solution to your problem...

aha that's the best. i've tried but she's not into it. she prefers suduku puzzles.

aslangirl
10-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Not sure if anyone else has suggested this, but you can also find great sweaters and knitted items at thrift stores, and recycle the yarn! It's a fun way to get interesting yarn for practically nothing. Somewhere on here there are links on how to chose a sweater to recycle, and how to go about unraveling one.