PDA

View Full Version : felting in a front loading machine?

knitting4-2girls
10-21-2007, 01:59 PM
I have heard that you can't felt in a front loading washing machine, but I am hoping that someone has tried it and been successful.

I have a couple pairs of clogs that i need to felt, but can't find time to go to the laundromat and I don't feel like I would have great control on those machines.

HollyP
10-21-2007, 02:19 PM
I had a front loader and felted all the time! On my machine the door would open if I stopped the cycle. I think it took longer but other than that I never really had any problems. It wasn't until after I had made and felted a few pairs of clogs sucessfully that I read somewhere that you couldn't felt in a front loader.
Try it! I don't think you will be disappointed!

KnittingNat
10-21-2007, 02:24 PM
I don't think it's about the felting process, but about the water inside the machine, that will spill out if you need to stop it in the middle of a cycle. Do you pump the water out every time? Sounds like a terrible waste to me. I want to felt too, but if i'll try to stop my machine in the middle and open the door, i'll have a swimming pool in my kitchen :rofl:.
HollyP, how did you solve that problem?

RMB
10-21-2007, 02:51 PM
I have a front loader and I am able to felt with it. The front loading maching does not use much water so stopping the machine and opening the door does not cause a problem. The water level is so low that no water spills out. It might take a bit longer to felt but I have had no problems felting with my machine.

Hope that helps and good luck :-)!
Rhonda

hummingbird
10-21-2007, 05:17 PM
I've felted in a front loading washer before and it won't open until its done. I think the key is to adjust how much agitation it gets by how many other things you put in the wash too. Try putting in fewer jeans and towels at first and if it isn't quite done you can put it through again or finish it up in the sink.

felted-bag
10-21-2007, 05:24 PM
I wrote a page of how to felt in a front loader tips and have them posted on my website...here's the link:
Using Front Loading Machine to Felt (http://www.felted-bags.com/front-loading-machine.htm) Many of the older front loading machines won't let you open the door until the cycle is complete. Using the PreWash cycle is a good way to overcome this problem.

AngMac
10-21-2007, 05:32 PM
I have felted several projects in my front loader and have never had a problem. Although, we do have a newer washer which does allow for me to open it whenever I want to. The trick I learned is that you just have to check it every 5 minutes or so to make sure it is felting correctly and to reshape the item.

Oh and btw, felted-bag, that is a great article. Thanks for writing it. I read it not too long ago when I was felting my first bag and it really helped.

brendajos
10-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Yup i felt in mine all the time and the only water that comes out is just the sloppiness of pulling out soaking wet stuff out of a machine.... you would have that problem with a top loader too. If I get distracted and let it get to the spin cycle though, it does lock until the cycle is completely over. Test your machine and see what it will allow you to do.

knitting4-2girls
10-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Well, I know that my machine will lock the door while it is in a wash cycle. I can stop it but it takes a while for the water to run out and the door to be unlocked. I am going right now to read felted-bag's article and use the prewash cycle.

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I am going to be felting tomorrow!!! I would start right now, but I'm at work.

rfmommy
10-22-2007, 10:41 AM
I felt all the time in my front loader and I let a whole cycle run through, spin and all. I usually pick a short cycle and throw in a pair of my sons jeans for aggitation. My machine only locks in the spin cycle, but otherwise I can stop the machine. I have never felted in a top loader, so I don't know anything different.