PDA

View Full Version : Are you crafty in other ways?

Mommy22alyns
10-21-2007, 05:10 PM
We knit, some of us crochet or spin or dye... what else do you do, if anything? Scrapbook, paint, draw, sew, decorate...?

I can cross stitch but haven't in years, I've sewn a couple of the felt/sequin/bead stockings, and I'm currently trying to re-cover my girls' upholstered rocking chairs. It's a "what was I thinking?" moment for me! I used to paint the ceramic pieces you can find in Michael's, etc - really detailed and beautiful - but I can't do that right now because a medicine I'm taking makes me very shaky.

Tell us what else you do! :mrgreen:

dustinac
10-21-2007, 05:28 PM
I use to make pillows, dishtowels, ornaments, and wall hangings with primitive embroidery on them... I would sell them to a local primitive shop... Mom and I also did a primitive quilt for them where we stitched on I think 12 blocks total...I was so glad when the shop closed (they moved closer to Amish country and I wasn't making the extra drive) I couldn't bring myself to stitch another item...I still can't... have had several people ask me & I'm like umm no...

I also made my little girl a quilt and have other quilt tops not finished :oo:...I use to diddle with paints and airbrushing... candle making... plastic canvas... drawing...basically you name it and I've prolly tried it...but knitting is the only thing I haven't lost interest in over time... everything else I had to stop so I could try something else...

I want to learn to sew (I can sew a square for a pillow lol)...and I should have learned when mom tried...now it seems everytime I turn the sewing machine on I break it...and then mom gets a call...I also wish I had paid closer attention to her crochet...and cross stitch... :wall:

auburnchick
10-21-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm not a very crafty person, but I can cross-stitch.

Here's the last project I completed:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02509.jpg

It's counted, not stamped. It took me about three years, on and off, to finish. We moved twice, which is the main reason why it took so long. After I finished it, I promised myself I would never do another one -- hence I taught myself to knit.

I do tend to be a do-it-yourself person. I can fix just about anything in the house, and I can quite a bit on the computer. But anything artsy?? Not me. I'm terrible at sewing, and while I love quilts, I could not get into quilting.

debinoz
10-21-2007, 07:48 PM
I used to quilt, do plastic canvas, cross stitch, krewel, needlepoint, basket weaving, polymer clay and glass painting. Now I just knit and crochet because of eye muscle degeneration.

stitchwitch
10-21-2007, 08:16 PM
I can sew, drywall, tile set, lay block, frame a house, repair an engine, oh wait those aren't really crafty. As far as crafty it's mostly sew and knit. I am thinking about getting into cake decorating but I'm afraid it will affect my overall size, my husband is gung ho for it though. :teehee:

Sewing Angel
10-21-2007, 08:26 PM
I've tried lots and lots of stuff. I now mostly sew, paint and knit. I have been selling things at craft show for about 12 years. I cut ostrich egg shells into shapes and paint different things on them. I make mostly earrings, pins, pendants and barrettes. I also sew broomstick skirts and heat packs to sell. I have only been knitting about a year and a half, so I'm not fast enough to sell any knit items. I used to love to do counted cross stick, still make a small thing here and there. I still keep a scrapbook going and there's always home improvement projects. If we didn't have to eat or have clean clothes, there would be a lot more time for fun!
Angel

karmakimmie
10-21-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm also an obsessed scrapbooker....is it sad that I've considered scrapbooking my knitting? :shrug:

kim

iza
10-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Apart from knitting, I'm not a crafty person at all. I would LOVE to sew and draw but I'm really not gifted for stuff like that :doh: I have so much admiration for those of you who can sew, knit, crochet, cross-stitch, quilt, paint... :thumbsup: It would take me about a million years to learn all these things! I'm way better with computers and math! :shifty:

Becky Morgan
10-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Crochet, knit, buiuld stuff around the house, write, occasionally mess with Paint Shop Pro (sort of like Photoshop), sew when my machine works...I always say that if a craft isn't likely to bring about eternal punishment or the end of life as we know it, it's worth a try :D

mwhite
10-21-2007, 09:15 PM
I always loved to sew! Actually made a nice living from it for over 30 years- making clothes, made garment samples for companies, doing alterations, working in sewing factories, ran a non-apparel sewing plant for about 12 years making totes, aprons and other items sold to embroidery and screenprinting companies for advertising purposes. Needlepoint and cross stitch are lots of fun and have enjoyed those, too. I dearly love to knit and am kinda stuck on it right now. I envy people who can bake, scrapbook and paint... painting on fabrics is fun and I've tried it but I am not that good at it.

dakatzmeow
10-21-2007, 10:29 PM
i make soap, lotion and lip balm.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-21-2007, 10:33 PM
I quilt and bead. I wish I had time for everything!!!

For those of you who are "crafty" check out the magazine "Craft". lots of cool stuff in there.

ladyjessica
10-21-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm learning to crochet. I also do some scrapbooking, and I used to do cross-stitch, although I haven't for a few years. When my mom gets out her Santa that I made her I'll have to post a picture. It took me 4 years to complete. I would love to learn to sew, but I can't find anybody to teach me. :cry:

I also play piano and sing, which I realize isn't crafty, but I like it anyway. lol. :sun:

JessicaR
10-21-2007, 10:53 PM
I scrapbook, draw occasionally, and I'm a cake decorator by trade.

cdjack
10-21-2007, 11:50 PM
I can decoupage, refinish old furniture, and cross stitch. I havn't cross stitched in years, though. I NEED to learn to sew...on a sewing machine.

redmom37
10-22-2007, 01:22 AM
I paint,oil & water color, cross stitch,.

KnittingNat
10-22-2007, 05:54 AM
Except for knitting, i can crochet, but i forgot most of it and i HATE it so much. I am also sewing, not right now due to moving-stuff-not-in-place issues and i hope to get back to it as soon as possible. I've got a few skirts and blouses in my record. I have some bare yarn and Kool Aid, so i'm giong to try dyeing yarn when i'll get settled down in the apartment. Other than that, i'm not too crafty, though i'm partly skilled with doing stuff around the house, painting the walls, drilling if necessary (though hubby does that now :teehee:), I love doing this stuff together with DH, gives us some quality time :woot:

Nobones
10-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Hello my name is Nobones and I'm a craftaholic! :waving:

I sew, (see signature for website) knit, crochet, tat, bead, cross stitch and bake. I HAVE to be doing something, can't have nothing on the go it drives me nuts.

I'm very lucky really, because of the medical condition I don't work and I can spend a lot of time on them. They have kept me going sometimes, (them and my hubby).

I taught myself all the crafts I do, hubby is most supportive guy I could wish for, if I'm interested in a new hobby a little book about it will suddenly appear along with a few bits to start new hobby. I couldn't ask for more encouragement, although it can get a bit annoying when I say 'I can't do that', he thinks there is nothing in the world I couldn't turn my hand to. I wish!

rachejm
10-22-2007, 07:06 AM
i cross stitch, learned to cross stitch first, currently stitching david tennant of dr who fame cos i found the pattern in a magazine.

Silver
10-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Aside from yarn crafts (knitting, spinning and crocheting)...

My other job is a graphic artist/website builder. I also draw with good ol paper and pencils although I haven't in a very long time.

I can make soap, lotions and body products. Soap is the real oil and lye soap, not melt and pour.

I cook and bake.

I can cross stitch and do needlepoint embroidery, although I don't *love* it.

I recently learned tatting.

I also quilt. I love quilting almost as much as knitting, but the projects aren't as easy to move and aren't as cozy as knitting on the sofa.

The.Knitter
10-22-2007, 07:49 AM
I play the guitar and sing. I am good with the written word and sometimes write songs or poems. I cross stitch and knit. I tried sewing but I don't like it much. I also tried hand sewing and I suck at that. I am an organizer! I can fix things around the house and often get called by the other tenant in our house, to drill, screw or fix something in her half of the house. My Mother (God rest her soul) was the crafter. She would see something in a store and go home and make it up if she liked the looks of it. Wish I had her talents. She died while writing me an e-mail on the computer I got her. She could run any machine!!

leedsfan
10-22-2007, 08:19 AM
I can only knit,but i love knitting so much,i dont want to do any other crafts.:)

PurlyGyrl
10-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Gosh we are a crafty, creative bunch!:hug:

Of course, my favorite thing is knitting. But I also crochet, sew (love to make suits, wedding and evening gowns and doll clothes, what a combo!:shrug:), cross stitch, embroidery, needlepoint, scrapbook and my all time favorite craft (excluding knitting): dollhouse miniatures. I have two dollhouses completed from scratch--a seaside cottage and a three story Colonial mansion--made all the furniture, wallpapered, painted, crocheted and knitted rugs, blankets, curtains, etc. I have two more in the works--a log cabin and a San Franciso "painted lady" Victorian. Problem with dollhouses--SPACE. I've absolutely run out of space to set up another dollhouse. Right now I'm just working on the furniture for the Victorian. That's more portable.

What I want to learn to do is knit in 1/12 scale so I can knit items for my dollhouses. You have to use 00000 size needles--my eyes do this :eyes: just thinking about it!

msoebel
10-22-2007, 09:39 AM
I knit, obivously. But before that (I've only been knitting for a year now), I painted, crocheted, made cards and scrapbooked. I can sew. I can make "arrangements"...meaning I can make centerpieces like no one's business. I love to draw.

But the only things I do regularly right now are knit and paint. I draw occasionally. I actually HATE to sew. Given a choice between sewing something and hot gluing it, I will pull out my little hot glue gun every time.

Misty

Abbily
10-22-2007, 09:42 AM
I used to cross-stitch and needlepoint, but haven't for years...

I love to quilt, and when I have time I have sewn some cute clothes for my daughters.

candicane
10-22-2007, 10:17 AM
I am a graphic designer during the day (to pay for the crafty hobbies). I make sterling silver jewelry when I'm not knitting. Samples below. You guys are lucky it only lets me upload 3 pictures!

Candi

Cecily
10-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone: What a talented bunch. My favorite pastime is knitting but I also crochet, cross stitch, plastic canvas ( like makeing ornaments) and beaded jewelry. So many crafts, not enough time!

Hope you all have a wonderful day. Just remember to take time for your crafts! A day without crafts is like a day without sunshine.

Happy Crafting!

Cecily

Knitting_Guy
10-22-2007, 11:09 AM
About the only other craft type thing I can do is wood burning. I used to do a lot of it but since getting into trucking over a decade ago I haven't done much of it. It's not exactly something you can easily do in a truck.

vaknitter
10-22-2007, 11:32 AM
I do cross-stitch and can sew. I do things that either have directions or are methodical(my right brain is underdeveloped) ...I make myself a lot of skirts, pillow cases, baby blankets and blankets for Linus Project and Halloween costumes.

PurlyGyrl
10-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Wow :inlove: Candi what beautiful jewelry! That bracelet is fabulous!

dustinac
10-22-2007, 04:00 PM
ohh pretty!!

I forgot that I started blacksmithing with my dad this summer... I got to make nails and then a dinner bell...:teehee: with his help of course...

It's nice to hit metal...really hard...

Quiltlady
10-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Over the year's I've done crochet, I enjoy knitting now, I also make Quilts, I scrapbook. I use to love counted cross stitch until my eyes got "older". I also currently do needlepoint. So I guess I'm crafty.

Rayadragon
10-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Knitting is something that's fairly new to me, and I've been teaching myself crochet these past couple of months.

However, I've been drawing, painting, and making beaded jewelry for many years. I do a bit of wire working and polymer clay work as well. Any more my craft time is split pretty evenly between beading and knitting, with the occational side project of something else.

brightspot
10-22-2007, 04:17 PM
I knit, crochet, counted-cross stitch, needlepoint....I don't embroider! I can, but hate it! I can only do things that have a pattern. I need to be told exactly how to do something. I paint like a kindergartener. I can sew beautifully, but don't really like it either, I guess from too much have to sewing when the girls were small. I have only drawn one thing. A picture of my dd late at night. It is very nice, but I must have had help from the night elves because usually all I can draw is stick people. My ds had a fit at the time that I didn't draw him too, but I have tried a few times and it has been a disaster. I tried scrapbooking, but the pictures kept falling out of the book! It amazes me how creative people are!!!:cheering: It's just not me, lol.

AngMac
10-22-2007, 04:21 PM
I also love to do Stained Glass work. I had to take a few years off from doing any projects because of my pregnancy's and nursing. I couldn't be around the lead that you use to join the glass together. I am finally done with nursing and pregnancy's so I can't wait to start doing it again.:woot:

Jenn_Knitter
10-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Through the years I have accumulated random knowledge and mediocre skills in many different crafts. Some of the crafts I do, other than knitting, that I'm decent at are sewing, crocheting, embroidery and jewelry making. I also dabble in soap making, candle making, working with polymer clay and woodwork. My sister inherited the finer art skills. She can do beautiful work with watercolors. :)

merchgirl
10-23-2007, 12:10 PM
there are so many crafty people here! myself, i'm primarily a potter, i make and sell lip balm (called "lip bliss"), and i make candles (though not as regularly these days). i used to make LOTS of macrame, i've dabbled in cross stitch, sewing, jewelry making, glass blowing and woodworking. i've got a very artistic family and i love trying out different crafts!