PDA

View Full Version : Pet fiber yarn

toomuch
10-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Has anyone seen this before? http://www.vipfibers.com/index.html
It's expensive but I'd love to make a small scarf from my dog's coat. Just wondering if anyone here has done this.
Julie

Silver
10-22-2007, 07:31 AM
I haven't done it, but I do think it's a really cool way to memorialize your pet. Kemp had some yarn made from her dog Loki.

ElenTikvah
10-22-2007, 09:22 AM
I have never done this, but when I was a child, our family pet had this wonderful long, soft fur, and I always thought that Dusty's fur would make the softest yarn...I wish I had actually tried it...especially now that he's gone.

~Tik

LalaBee
10-22-2007, 10:20 AM
I have never done it myself but heard about it many years ago. One of my cousins actually bought her mom a pair of mittens made from Golden Retriever hair. The yarn was dyed a really nice bright, sky blue. They were really warm too! My parents have three huskies which shed like crazy and I have started to collect their fur to get spun into yarn - just need to find someone willing to do it.

msoebel
10-22-2007, 10:52 AM
I've said it before, and I will say it again: Wait until your lovely project gets wet.

I hate the smell of wet dog!

Misty

toomuch
10-22-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm planning to do this and I'll just make sure the final object doesn't get wet. I clipped him this weekend before I had read that clipped coats should be at least two inches and I haven't looked to see if what I have will work. Oh well, at the rate he grows coat, it won't be too long before I'll have some to send.
Julie

GinnyG
10-22-2007, 01:54 PM
I have an Old English sheepdog that I would LOVE to do that with........... I have heard of it before but never did it. I may have to book mark the site for spring clipping time.

I have read that after the fiber is processed it doesn't have a wet dog "smell.

kemp
10-22-2007, 03:16 PM
I've said it before, and I will say it again: Wait until your lovely project gets wet.

I hate the smell of wet dog!

Misty

I'm not sure about other places, but VIP has a special enzyme process that takes the smell out. I wet some of the yarn they sent and it doesn't smell like wet dog...I hate that smell too! You can read about my experience with them and see pictures here: http://www.divaknitting.com/blog/?p=353