PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone worked with fondant?

jjminarcik
10-21-2007, 10:00 PM
I am a very beginning baker and do not know anything about icing/fondant or those type things. I'm still working on the cake construction! :teehee: Anyway, my friend has the confidence that I can make a cake for her sister's bridal shower. I'm willing to give it a try, so I'm going to practice on cupcakes before doing the real thing.

I was hoping for any tips/suggestions to help with this. Or maybe even horror stories so I will realize what a mess I have gotten myself into! :wall:

And if you have experience with fondant, do you know how to make one of those pretty bows?

Thanks KHer's! :muah:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-21-2007, 10:20 PM
I've used it a few times. The rolled kind is good for cut outs and stuff like that, but I don't think it tastes as good. If you're making from scratch, use a candy thermometer and cook it EXACTLY to soft ball stage. The cake must be totally cool before you aplly the fondanct, and if you use a thin layer of buttercream frosting on the cake before you apply the fondant, it wills tick better. Fondant dries out really fast, so keep whatever you're not using wrapped in plastic. Finally, make sure the room isn't too warm because the fondant will get soft and be hard to work with.

I'm not an expert by any means, I think I've used it only 3 or 4 times. Each time you do it, it will get easier and better, so practice is a good idea!!!

Check out martha stweart's website; she probablly has directions for bows.

JessicaR
10-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Use powdered sugar when rolling it out and you can use crisco with your finger to smooth out any cracks on the finished product.

HamaLee
10-22-2007, 10:25 AM
I have no advice to add, except maybe to get as addicted as I am to Ace of Cakes. :mrgreen::teehee:

Kaydee
10-22-2007, 10:32 AM
I have no advice to add, except maybe to get as addicted as I am to Ace of Cakes. :mrgreen::teehee:

I love Ace of Cakes...and the cake challenges. Man I hold my breathe everytime they move those cakes!

kellyh57
10-22-2007, 01:31 PM
www.cakecentral.com has a ton of advice and tutorials. They have a forum much like this one that is filled with all levels of cake decorators. As far as fondant goes, try a marshmallow fondant recipe. It's very easy and tastes pretty good too. Fondant takes a while to get the hang of, but it's fun once you know what you're doing.

Kelly

MMario
10-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Are you sure she *wants* a fondant covered cake? Many people dislike them.

cranberry
10-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow, my cake decorating skills are coming in handy today. :-)

That marshmallow fondant is a great recipe. You will want to try it on a real, full sized cake beforehand. Cupcakes won't be nearly enough practice. There is an art to it.

I've used a variety of different fondants. Most professionals buy fondant and each have their favorite brands. (Just do NOT I repeat NOT use Wiltons. It's really gross) However for you I would do the marshmallow recipe. It's easy to use and tastes pretty good.

Make things ahead of time. You can freeze the cake and make the fondant and frosting the day or two before. It will be enough work just decorating and you'll be tired from just doing that.

The poster that said many people don't like it is true. I put a good filling in the cake and a thin base coat and people do tell me that it is the best cake they've ever had, although about half don't eat the fondant no matter what fondant recipe I use.

Cakecentral.com is a great resource. However many used boxed mixes and frosting with crisco and powedered sugar and I would advise against that since it won't taste nearly as good. I make everything from scratch and an Italian Meringue buttercream. PM me if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help :)

HamaLee
10-22-2007, 02:20 PM
I put a good filling in the cake and a thin base coat and people do tell me that it is the best cake they've ever had [snip]

I make everything from scratch and an Italian Meringue buttercream. [snip]
:mmm:....:drool:....:passedout:

Oh I'm sorry...there I go not being helpful again.
:teehee:

MMario
10-22-2007, 02:39 PM
although about half don't eat the fondant no matter what fondant recipe I use.

I didn't say anything about *cake* I said a lot of people don't care for fondant ON a cake - and 50% not eating it reagardless of what type of fondant you use supports my opinion. Plus I've heard a large number of people at receptions state they would much rather have a butter cream icing then fondant.

jjminarcik
10-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Are you sure she *wants* a fondant covered cake? Many people dislike them.
Yes, that is what she wants, it was her idea to do this.

I have no advice to add, except maybe to get as addicted as I am to Ace of Cakes. :mrgreen::teehee: I :heart: that show!!

Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions! I'm going to decide what to do and may be asking more questions later! :hug::hug: