PDA

View Full Version : tension

bloomee
10-22-2007, 03:48 PM
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/images/icons/icon6.gifHi-I have trouble with tension. There are gaps betwwen some of the rows. And where there are gaps the knits are bigger on the public side. Thank you.

Braden
10-22-2007, 04:43 PM
That means that you either knit or purl too loosely. Figure out which one it is bu working a swatch, one of purled garter stitch (purling all rows) and one of regular garter stitch (knitting all rows), using the same yarn and needles. Measure your gauge and that will tell you which one you do more loosely.

Once you have that figured out, use a smaller sized needle to work the too-loose rows. If you're working in the round, it won't matter.

Knitting_Guy
10-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Are you knitting continental or English? I tried conti and simply couldn't get even tension, especially on the purls.

It does take time to get a feel for your tension while knitting. My first project looked terrible and was extremely uneven with regard to the tension. If you're just learning, cut yourself some slack. It'll come to you with practice.