PDA

View Full Version : I'm burned!

golfer
10-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Being a novice knitter I have purchased a few instruction books, patterns, needles and yarns and other fun stuff- I've made a couple purchases that turned out so so, but one thing I resisted buying was knitting magazines , 'cause I think they are rather pricey. Well, I saw one that caught my attention the other day, the "Knit 'N Style" December 2007
edition for $5.99 and on the cover it featured a "mitten workshop" (thats the part that got me going). Later that evening, I'm settled down with my new mag and get right into the Feature article 'N Style Workshop, Make your own
Mittens! UhHuh! After two and a half pages of instruction, the next paragraph is "What's Next" - it proceeds to say:

"You're now at about the halfway point of your mitten. All that remains is to make a hole for the thumb, complete the hand and cuff, and add the thumb. Look for explanations of all these, plus options for embellishing the cuffs, in the February 2008 issue of Knit 'N Style."

What can I say!! I could squeeze a grape! Guess I won't be tempted next time - $6 of aggravation!

I had to tell my story to those who will understand.:pout:

Knitting_Guy
10-22-2007, 07:58 PM
:roflhard:

Gotta love those cliffhangers.

Not.

Ingrid
10-22-2007, 08:07 PM
:teehee:

knitgal
10-22-2007, 08:15 PM
So you can make your mittens, but you can't finish them until February...Heck, winter is half over by then!

AngMac
10-22-2007, 08:23 PM
OMG! :teehee: I never would have thought that there could be a Knitting Cliffhanger. What a let down. I would be so frustrated.

brendajos
10-22-2007, 08:24 PM
lol I would think that you can probably look at other patterns and figure out a way to finish them yourself without waiting that long. Really mittens aren't tooooo terribly hard (except sometimes for the blasted thumb!) and you could probably find a pattern that essentially mirrors what they have already started for you.

That wouldn't have been such a silly project if it weren't such a long time before the next issue comes out! sheesh

Karrying Kolor
10-22-2007, 08:28 PM
I bought that issue for the workshop 'cause the mittens looked cute and the promise of simplifying the process...then I read through it and couldn't believe they hadn't finished the pattern! :noway:

I mean really, just tell me how to make the mittens and lets move on...I might have bought in to a Part II covering embellishments, but hitting me up for another 6 bucks to add a thumb is just obscene...I've lost interest, and they've lost the next sale! :fingerwag:

boo1
10-22-2007, 08:37 PM
:tap:

brittyknits
10-22-2007, 09:12 PM
I just looked through my copy and it does look like it's a great walk through of how to knit mittens, not to worry about certain things, etc. (although I am not thrilled about their "don't worry about guage" guidance-- you could end up with something totally unusable with that advice). I would seriously write them a letter-- that's just flat out getting you to buy another one of their magazines, but in a very unwise manner-- I mean, I would be very hestitant because I'd wonder what other projects they'd pull this for. In the meantime, I'd go look for another pattern. The reason I pulled out my copy is that I was going to just figure out where to go from there and make up the rest of the directions for you. But it's top down and I don't want to steer you wrong.

MellieThePooh
10-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah, all you have to do is figure out the meaning of life and sacrifice your firstborn, such little things...

AnnaT
10-22-2007, 11:14 PM
I mean really, just tell me how to make the mittens and lets move on...I might have bought in to a Part II covering embellishments, but hitting me up for another 6 bucks to add a thumb is just obscene...I've lost interest, and they've lost the next sale! :fingerwag:

That's how I would feel, too. You'd be up to $12 by then! :!!!: Just buy a nice knitting book that lasts forever for $20.

suzeeq
10-22-2007, 11:46 PM
It won't be all that long to wait; that's in the December issue, so the February one should be out in December...

dustinac
10-22-2007, 11:53 PM
:teehee: I never even noticed that...mom gets this magazine and she brought it up to me last month cause she thought I would like to knit the sock patterns...I never even noticed the mittens...

I just looked at it... they start from the tip and work down... and there is the last photo with their hand in the mitten on dpns telling you to wait...:rofl:

is there a free pattern out there from top down to cuff? I did a fast search on ravelry but couldn't find one...thought you could use it to finish your mitten...

brittyknits
10-23-2007, 12:00 AM
How about these?
http://www.wiseneedle.com/patternpage.asp?pattern=knitpatmit
Maybe from this you could figure out what to do to continue from where you've gotten to already.
Also, take a look at Paton's patterns for mittens. Not top down necessarily, but good, basic patterns. I get my Patons stuff through www.yarnforward.com

golfer
10-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Hi there - thanks for understanding - sorry you were fooled also. I guess there is an old saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!
I won't be buying that mag again; plus I will make sure if I buy another that whatever interests me is clearly presented. (At least I will try hard!) LOL

brendajos
10-23-2007, 04:40 PM
The thing is that there are lots of crafting magazines that do this kind of thing but they usually give a whole part of the pattern. Like if it is a quilt they will give the whole block. or if it is cross stitched ornaments they will give a whole ornament. THEN they will follow up in later publications with the next piece. They don't give half a pattern and then leave you hanging for a couple of months. that's just silly. It really isn't a bad idea but i would think that this would only work with something like the American Aran Afghan (that style anyway)... not with a freakin' mitten...lol

G J
10-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Unbelievable! I'd certainly write or call and complain. At the very least, they owe you the next issue for FREE!!!! I'll bet they offer if you call and if they don't offer, I'd ask. The greasy wheel and all that....

Tutu Carol
10-23-2007, 07:30 PM
mean.

I'd write them a nasty letter!

Amerielle
10-23-2007, 09:40 PM
I think it might take me until February to get through 2 1/2 pages of instructions for the mittens!

That is just wrong! I have to admit I am often disappointed in crafting magazines...but they are so pretty they lure me in!

brittyknits
10-23-2007, 09:48 PM
If you want to contact the editor, see my thread a few down, "Contacting Knit 'N Style: Mitten article"

redwitch
10-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi, I love handwarmers/gloves/mittens of all types, I think this mag sucks! If you have any questions please PM me and I hope I can help you so that you get a lovely pair of mittens without having to pay more.
stupid magazine

Kels Joy.
10-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah, all you have to do is figure out the meaning of life and sacrifice your firstborn, such little things...

:roflhard: