PDA

View Full Version : Bad Mother?? Not OT

msmelody
10-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Okay, we are trying to potty train my 2 year-old. I was wondering if I would be a bad mother if I put knitting projects in the bathrooms (one up stairs, one downstairs) while she sits and pretends to do her thing. She can spend what sems like forever in knitting time just sitting there and does not want to be alone. Any opinions? Suggestions on potty training so I can get back to knitting.

Silver
10-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Potty training takes patience. Lots of it. I don't see a problem with taking your knitting into the bathroom with you when you keep her company. I used to bring a book.. that was before I learned to knit though.

Just make sure you don't get so enthralled that you miss the chance to encourage her or praise her for tinkling in the potty. I know some knits take ALL your attention. lol :teehee:

gargoylelib
10-23-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm in the same boat as you but I never thought of taking
my knitting in with me...that might make things easier
for me given that I'm not very patient with the sitting
there doing nothing thing! :wink: hehe...

Good luck....I know I need some!
Libbie :)

MrsDavis3
10-23-2007, 09:23 AM
My first reaction is to think that you live a sheltered life if it has even occurred to you that the behavior you describe could even remotely be considered bad mothering.

My daughter is now 8 and I routinely say, in response to her requests for help, "I'll be there when I get to the end of this row." She has learned to accept it.

A friend of mine says, "Families work best when everyone's cup is full." So take your knitting in to potty training sessions and keep your cup full when you can. You'll both be happier, I think.

Knitting_Guy
10-23-2007, 09:30 AM
I can't even begin to imagine how you would think it's being a bad mother to want to occupy yourself while waiting. As long as you're not ignoring your kid I don't see a problem.

Abbily
10-23-2007, 09:51 AM
I say go for it! :) I used to give my girls books to read while they sat, just to get them to sit there longer.

As for the potty training itself- is this your first time? If not, I won't bore you with my advice. LOL but if it is your first time and you want some advice, I'm happy to share what I've learned... :)

AngMac
10-23-2007, 10:02 AM
I say go for it too! There is nothing wrong at all with you taking something for you to do while she is sitting there. Potty training is time consuming and frustrating at times and it doesn't hurt for you to take along something that will give you some sanity. cloud9

msmelody
10-23-2007, 12:14 PM
This is my first time potty training, and I just do not want to mess up. i just feel like a bumb on a log just waiting for her to decide she is done. She wants me in there, but does not want me to just stare at her. I guess the knitting will be going with me. Thanks for the advice, and if you have any more please share.

stirsmommy
10-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Knitting is a great idea. Mine wanted me there too but just not to look. Wished I had had a portable potty then. Staring at the wall forever nearly killed me. I will say potty training was hard for me and I still don't know how I did it. My boys were way older than my daughter. And it only took her a weekend to figure out (her gm told her she would get her the pretty panties at the gap that I wouldn't buy if she would). It will happen and you will be thrilled but for now you get bonis knitting time. How bad could that be?

bip
10-23-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't have kids and don't know the first thing about potty training, but it kind of seems like knitting would help the process. I mean, it is kinda hard to go with someone right there watching you. It is also hard to learn something new with someone watching you. Potty training is going to the bathroom + learning something new, right? But if you are focused on your knitting, maybe she will relax a bit and things will go more smoothly?

Or maybe I can justify knitting for any situation, lol (funerals, sales meetings, timed typing test).

astonh
10-23-2007, 12:33 PM
if it is your first time and you want some advice, I'm happy to share what I've learned... :)

DITTO!!! I'm actually going through it right now. I THINK we pretty much have #1 taken care of and are working on being consistent with that. #2 is taking a bit more patience though.

"Potty Prizes" (aka BRIBERY) is the way we went. LOL. Talk about being bad. LOL.

lelvsdgs
10-23-2007, 12:48 PM
What a great idea! I wish I would have thought of it when I was doing this! And as far as being a bad mother? Pshaw! You are creating a relaxed atmosphere for yourself and your child in which to learn this new skill. If you are relaxed and not totally focused on the child, they can realx and not get too uptight. Sounds like the perfect solution to me!
You sound like a great mom to me!:notworthy:

ritaw
10-23-2007, 12:53 PM
You are not a bad mother! Take your knitting , take a book if you wish.

As long as she has you in the room and she knows you are there . I do not see it as a problem.

I have often done it when my son wants to sit in the bath for an hour lol

MamaMer
10-23-2007, 01:14 PM
My first reaction is to think that you live a sheltered life if it has even occurred to you that the behavior you describe could even remotely be considered bad mothering.

My daughter is now 8 and I routinely say, in response to her requests for help, "I'll be there when I get to the end of this row." She has learned to accept it.

A friend of mine says, "Families work best when everyone's cup is full." So take your knitting in to potty training sessions and keep your cup full when you can. You'll both be happier, I think.

:teehee:Us too, only ds is only 5:aww:

To the OP, knit away. I do lots of stuff int he bathroom whilst waiting for my kids to decide they are done while PTing. I knit, read a book, watch the younger ones unravel entire rolls of TP (hey it keeps them entertained!) crossword puzzles, grocery shopping lists, to-do lists; all KINDS of stuff! The PTer doesn't usually mind, I think they just like your presence, not necessarily your attention:hug:

rissa
10-23-2007, 03:17 PM
You are totally NOT a bad mother. My first daughter pretty much trained herself...and I can't really remember how that happened, lol! She is now 11! My youngest took alot longer, which is typical for her. It was frustrating...I sat and thought about it, and I think she:

1) Just didn't understand fully what she needed to do.

2) didn't recognize her body signals telling her when she needed to go.

Soo.....and this is likely the bad mommy thing, I had her go pantless one day when sister was at school and it was just us two. She would start to go, and noticed something wasn't right..so I'd say "oh oh! Time to go sit on the potty!" and she would run to it. It took less than a day, and she was so proud.

Now if you choose to go this route, and you have carpet, you will likely have some extra maintenance to do, lol. But it was sooo worth it for me.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-23-2007, 05:21 PM
i had to potty train 2 boys... i took my crochet in with me while they "read" a book while on the potty.

is she staying dry all night? does she tell you she needs to potty? if she's not, she may not be ready for potty training yet. and expect her to back slide a bit too and have accidents. when that happens, just have her help you clean her up and say nothing more about it than next time she needs to try and get to the potty faster and that everyone just learning has accidents sometimes, she'll already feel badly and be ashamed, no need to make her feel worse.

MrsDavis3
10-23-2007, 06:57 PM
DITTO!!! I THINK we pretty much have #1 taken care of and are working on being consistent with that. #2 is taking a bit more patience though.

We had a huge problem with the second function. She was actually AFRAID to use the potty for that. A friend of mine confessed that with her first child, she actually had to push her down onto the potty at just the right moment. Nothing I had tried worked, and one day when my daughter was crying and yelling "Put a diaper on me, put a diaper on me NOW!!!" because the phenomenon we're discussing was imminent, I took her into the bathroom and literally pushed her down on to the pot. Success was unavoidable at that point. Once it happened, she was elated! She was free of the terrible fear! She bragged about it for days! And I think she has forgotten that I pushed her.

newamy
10-23-2007, 07:24 PM
That's a great idea and totally appropriate. My daughter sometimes wants company while soaking in the tub so I knit and she plays in the water and we visit. She's 7 almost 8.

msmelody
10-24-2007, 02:34 AM
I have not pushed anything on her (I hope). She tells me she either has to poo or push, and off we go to the bathroom. Sometimes she does her thing, and back to playing in the living room she goes, but other times, she just sits there doing nothing but staring at her toes. I do not want to force her to do anything, but just sitting there is boring me to tears.

She does not stay dry all night long, not that I expect a 2 year-old to stay dry, but she usually tells me during the day when she thinks she needs to go. I guess I need to find some books on potty training. Means I have to put the pattern books down for a bit. Very sad thought, but my children have to come first.

Debkcs
10-24-2007, 03:16 AM
I loved reading this thread, reminded me of when my DS, now 28, was going through PT'ing. He kicked off his diaper one hot summer day when he was about 20 months, and never went back to a daytime "diappy". Miracle child! My husband had taken him in with him enough that he knew what he was supposed to do. Night time was a different matter, at that age he just was not developed enough to have any control.

No, you are not a bad mom! As a (former) nurse, I've heard horrible tales of frustrated parents attempting to train their kids with methods you wouldn't use on a dog.

melissaatk
10-24-2007, 05:37 AM
Not at all! I did the same exact thing!

Ronda
10-24-2007, 07:06 AM
My kids used to love to play in the bath tub. This was before I knit, so I always took a book to read. I'd sit and read and they'd play forever, it seemed. I say knit while you wait! ;-)

Abbily
10-24-2007, 10:35 AM
The best advice I can give after pt'ing two girls- wait till she's ready. Otherwise it will just stress you both out. It will happen when it happens; don't let anyone tell you it's time. If she's ready, then it's just a matter of practice. I put my girls in panties (the thick, absorbent kind) and did a lot of laundry for a week or two- and then they were trained. #2 generally takes longer, and lots of kids are 'afraid' of using the potty for #2. Not sure what that's about, exactly, but apparently for a little kid there is something really disturbing about seeing a solid 'part of your body' going down the drain. Makes sense, I guess. :) I think taking your knitting in there is a GREAT idea because it will let you have more patience- and patience is the key.

Also- overnight can take a LOT longer than daytime training. My first daughter training at 2 years, 3 months during the day, but couldn't make it through the night till she was 5. It's just not physically possible for some kids to hold it that long. Rather than continue buying diapers, we just got her up mid-way through the night and took her to the potty.

robynbird
10-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Ugh the dreaded potty training! :rofl: You aren't a bad mom as many have already said. Also, don't waste money on potty training books - it sounds like you and your daughter are doing great. :) It takes time and if the child isn't ready it takes way longer. Just keep doing what you are doing and take your knitting with you. :)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Joanne, a book that was highly reccomended by my may 98 moms list was "everybody poops" :)

marykz
10-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Rather than continue buying diapers, we just got her up mid-way through the night and took her to the potty.
this was key to our overnight successes.... she was 2 1/2 when we started PT. daytime was no problem: we had a schedule, every 2 hours we visited the bathroom.

night time was different. she would get her last drink around 7, go before bed, then one of us would wake her up at 11 or 12 and put her on the pot, then back in bed. then she was ok until morning.

we only had to do this routine for about 2-3 months. then her muscle control grew/ developed and she's been fine since.

(and there's nothing about knitting while the child is sitting that could make you a bad mom!!! )

walmin22
10-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Any time my boys want me in the bathroom I either, clean the bathroom, fold clothes, read a book or my favorite knit!

So Knit away Mama!

My husband called me the Pavlo of PTing. It does take a lot of commitment on the parents part so it's not for everyone. If you would like to know what I did send me a message.

What I can say is what ever method your doing to train your daughter just be consistent and she'll be trained soon enough.

Good Luck and Happy Knitting!