PDA

View Full Version : Contacting Knit 'N Style: mitten article

brittyknits
10-23-2007, 09:46 AM
If you've read the thread "I'm burned", you know that the latest issue of Knit 'N Style magazine contains a tutorial on mittens which leaves you hanging at the end. I just sent an email to the editor of Knit 'N Style telling her how awful I think that was. For anyone else who would like to do the same: http://www.knitnstyle.com/information/index.shtml

Then go to the editor/Penelope link and click on that and send her a note. If enough people write in, they will listen!

AngMac
10-23-2007, 10:19 AM
:yay: I think you are doing the right thing. I would be really frustrated with the magazine if that happened to me. The only way that magazines will change doing things like that is if people complain about it.

MellieThePooh
10-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Oh, to have been a fly on the wall during the meeting where they made that decision..."I've got a great idea, if we put half-patterns in our magazine, then people will have to buy two issues instead of one! Brilliant!" :roflhard:

brittyknits
10-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Very funny image, Melliethepooh:rofl:, and thanks AngMac:hug:. Hope more people write or call them!

of troy
10-23-2007, 10:24 PM
right under the title "mitten workshop' are the words PART ONE.

I hate most of the patterns in knit n style, but i like the articles.

its a magazine editors job (or part of his/her job) to SELL issues. the February issue will be out in december (plenty of time to finish mittens for holiday gifts)

I take ISSUE with the sample mittens --all seem to have the same style of thumb.. i think if you are doing a work shop, several options for forming a thumb should be included.. but i'll wait till the next issue comes out--and see how the thumb is covered.. it might be better than i thought.

brittyknits
10-23-2007, 10:50 PM
It does NOT say "part one" on the cover or in the table of contents!-- which is where people look before purchasing a magazine! So I still think it's a lousy trap. You're absolutely right that it's the editor's job to sell magazines, but knitting magazines traditionally don't give only part of directions for projects, and so the buyer wouldn't expect it. It sounds like you're one of the few not upset by it, so I guess they still have you as a customer, even if a lot of the rest of us jump ship:teehee:

suzeeq
10-23-2007, 11:25 PM
I usually look through the whole mag before I buy one. Mostly looking at the patterns though, but when I see one I like, I check out the instructions to make sure they're complete. Most of the time I don't buy any.... I figure I can come up with the same thing myself.

aineepooh1
10-24-2007, 12:43 AM
I have a subscription to Knit and style and l:heart:ve it...

but what a CRAPPY thing to do~!:biting: .. who wants to start and project and not be able to finish it for a whole month....:pout:
nevermind the "... I have 4 projects on the needles right now...that's irrelevant~":aww:

Silver
10-24-2007, 07:35 AM
I don't have that issue, but I'm so turned off by the concept of part 1 & part 2 patterns, I don't think I ever WILL buy an issue of Knit N Style. That is so tacky!

As if knitting magazines aren't expensive enough! If you're paying $6 each for two issues just for one mitten pattern, you'd be way better off spending $12 or even $15 on a BOOK of mitten patterns. At least they aren't 50% advertising! :!!!:

So tacky. Ugh.

dmknits
10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
It does NOT say "part one" on the cover or in the table of contents!-- which is where people look before purchasing a magazine!

Wow, I'd be pretty annoyed too. That does sound deceptive.

golfer
10-24-2007, 03:21 PM
I took the advice from my "group knitsters" and emailed the publisher
I was told I should have "known" it said "part one" as it was "part of the article". Well, its not on the cover and I have to admit I was not looking for "fine print". Also, I was informed that it costs too much
to print up the whole article in one issue (huh?) and that subscribing customers are not adversely affected - only single issue buyers like myself! Wow! I must try to better myself - nobody wants to be a single issue buyer! I'd say my relationship with the Knit N'Style mag has ended. I will take my poor nonsubscriber self to the LYS and purchase a single issue BOOK on mittens!! Whatever happened to "the customer is always right" even when they are not right??

brittyknits
10-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Ohmygawd, I just got almost the identical letter! Which was another mistake on her/their part. If she'd said, wow, I've gotten several letters about this and boy we goofed, we won't do it again, sorry and we hope you'll think about buying out great magazine again, then everyone would be happy and all would be forgiven. But instead she sends out these defensive, attacking letters?! Hmmm, great editor. Not to mention she missed the point entirely about having to wait 2 months to pick up the project again. But I have a feeling they won't be doing that 2-part stuff again, that she got the point. And hey golfer, good for you for starting that I'm Burned thread-- you started the ball rolling on this!

astonh
10-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Well, in all my grown-up-ness allow me to say that I think they are "doo doo heads".

brittyknits
10-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Please, oh pleeeeease, write them a letter saying that?:roflhard: I think I'd pay to see that:roflhard:

golfer
10-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for letting me know you heard the same message of "its you" not "its our fault"! But there are bigger fish to fry in this old world and I'll bet you are right and they won't do it again! (I know they won't to me!) I plan to get working on mittens next - I am almost done with my second pair of the thumb only kind - great for cold hands on the computer keyboard! I was drawn to the idea of knitting the mitts from the top down - gave me the impression is was easier to do. Need to get a few pair done that will be given to those in need through our church.:X:

of troy
10-24-2007, 04:03 PM
i agree, a pattern should be complete in single issue

but there have been series of articles about knitting an afghan out of 'squares' (and each issue of a zine only had 2 or 3 or 4 squares (and you had to buy all 4 (or 6 --a years worth) to get the 'whole pattern'

I think that the article has other limitations..

the first cast on (cast on, knit front and back slide out needle, split stitches into front and back) was pretty lame.

there are some many good cast ons. (Ok a self plug--back in may on my blog, i did a 4 part series about cast ons--and provided links to 20 + other blogs that had good tutorial/and or you tube video's.. )

she could have provided links and references to good cast ons.. (if there wasn't enough room to detail )

and while one mitten starts with 8 and the other 4, the shaping is the same on both (4 parts swirl)
OK--but you can also start mittens with something like a french/flat toe... the two options are not really different..
(and as i said, if the samples in photo's are any indication, there is only 1 style thumb (there are easly 4 basic styles for thumbs, with several 'flavors' of each style

so her mitten work shop teaches 1 mitten, and one cast on, and 1 thumb.. (and cost $12, and is spread out over 2 issues (time as well as money issue!)

but i generally like knit 'n style for it articles.. (even if this one is a bust!)

MellieThePooh
10-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Very funny image, Melliethepooh:rofl:, and thanks AngMac:hug:. Hope more people write or call them!

(It's Eeyore's hippie cousin)

Dangles
10-24-2007, 04:23 PM
(It's Eeyore's hippie cousin)

:roflhard:

kellyh57
10-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Well, at least you didn't buy Part 2 only and have to search high and low to find a back issue for Part 1! Hey...gotta find something positive...Yeah, I'd be pretty peeved too and I'm glad I don't buy magazines much!

The thing about a continuing series on squares for an afghan or something similar is, you don't NEED those other squares to finish. You can complete an afghan with all 1 type of square or make up your own pattern for the remainder or use the square for another item (dishcloth maybe?). You're not left hanging with half of a project on the needles!

Kelly

KT120
10-24-2007, 04:45 PM
I totally agree with you Kellyh. I don't buy magazines but if I find someting I love I will. Now I will make sure never to buy this magazine. Ever. Not so much for the lack of a COMPLETE pattern in one magazine but because of the their additude towards non-suscribing customers.

rissa
10-24-2007, 06:33 PM
I just sent an email. This is what I said.

To Whom it may concern,

I have recently heard about your half-posted mitten workshop in your december 2007 issue and how you didn't state on the cover or the table of contents that it is a 2 part series and you must purchase both to get the whole pattern.
While from a business standpoint, I understand trying to get more sales. On a customer service standpoint, I think it is bad form. As a result, I will not pick up another copy of Knit 'n Style.

Concerned Customer,
Carissa

Hope this helps the cause!

brittyknits
10-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Goooooo, Rissa:cheering:
It's going to be interesting to see if they ever do a 2-parter again!

boo1
10-24-2007, 07:10 PM
their response was that because she was a non-subscriber, she would be affected differently?

I'm sorry. I've subscribed to mags before. How would getting Part 1 in the MAILBOX (as opposed to Barnes and Noble) in October help me with Part 2, that is NOT in the mailbox until the following month (or however often they publish)?

:shrug:

I think it's lame to publish that way but even if it's not, the response to a customer was absolutely unprofessional and inappropriate.

brittyknits
10-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Exactly. Feel free to write to them and let them know:).

IamtheWalter
10-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Golfer or brittyknits: is it possible that you can post the letter verbatim?

I subscribe to knit n style because they're beginning to include at least one male pattern an issue, but have noticed the mitten thing and was not happy, mostly because if I was indeed knitting along without reading the pattern beforehand (something I do more often than I should admit) I would be stuck with half a project until I received the second issue. What really got me though is the reply you received.

brittyknits
10-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Note the complete lack of heading or salutation:hmm: And might I add, I most certainly did NOT ask her to deny her subscriber base anything:roll::).

"The title clearly starts Part 1 of the article.

I am limited to a certain number of pages for printing. I was not allowed
to run a 6 page workshop on Mittens - Not only could I not afford to pay for
it (I have a budget for writers on a per issue basis) but since every page
of a magazine must pay for itself, I wasn't getting an advertiser to
underwrite the cost of the article.

For budget and space reasons, it had to be split over 2 issues.

You are asking me to deny my subscriber base (not single copy sales such as
yours apparently was) the chance to have a great article series - they don't
mind splitting the article over 2 issues because they are subscribers.

I am required to consider not only articles for those of you who
occasionally pick up our magazine off the newsstand (Borders, Walmart etc)
but those who have been loyal subscribers for many years.

Thank you for taking the time to write."

redwitch
10-25-2007, 04:11 AM
She acts like you want her to screw over the subscribers (what?) when you are objecting to them screwing single-issue buyers.

Imagine if I published a magazine that had dozens of patterns every issue, but only a tenth of each pattern, so you would have to buy 10 issues in a row to get a single pattern (and some of them started partway through those 10 issues or had started before the first one you bought so you only got parts of those). Wouldn't you spit? This is exactly the same, just to a lesser extent. They should have specified this on the cover (Part 1 of our mitten tutorial!).

brittyknits
10-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Absolutely, redwitch. The tone of her letter guarantees that I'm never going to buy that magazine again. There's some adage for business owners about how customers talk about you, something like that if you have a happy customer, you'll gain 1, but if you have an unhappy one you'll lose 10. It sounds as if she'd rather be right than have people buy her magazine. And something else occured to me-- to do this between issues which means it could possibly be too late to finish the mittens in time for holiday gifts is also very bad planning on her part.

Lisa_H-Town
10-25-2007, 11:32 AM
How many people subscribe to a magazine w/out at least usually checking out one issue first??? Her (editor) rationalization is backwards.

brittyknits
10-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Ooooooh, that's good! Hadn't thought of that!

golfer
10-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Dear Brittyknits, I think our response message from Knit 'N Style was exactly the same. I am not technically computer able to post my Outlook Express message to this forum so just know it is the same.
I wasn't sure if it was a "slam" from her to suggest I bought my issue off the "rack" at Barnes and Noble or Walmart :wink: - it was at Joann's! I suppose I'm going to need therapy now when I pass a selection of knitting magazines - I'll always remember being a nonsubscriber and the fear of not being able to complete my mittens!:roflhard:

miccisue
10-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Um, don't the "off the rack" buyers also pay more for the magazine than regular subscribers? I would swear that when I used to subscribe to magazines, I was always getting a bold print notice "such and such a percentage off regular retail price".

So, while they do rely on subscirbers, it woud seem that they rake in more $$$$ when someone purchases the mag off the rack.........

I have to admit I don't buy too many knitting magazines - when they did away with the (I can't remember the exact name, but think it was put oout by something like Better Homes and Gardens) one that had a lot of really simple patterns (it may have even been called "Simply Knitting"), I've found the others to have patterns that are beyond my present skill level.

But, you can bet this one will be on my DO NOT BUY list!!!!!!!!!:tap:

Nuts4Noro
10-25-2007, 04:23 PM
It is shocking to me how completely unprofessional that letter is. It is of no concern to the buyer of the magazine (subscriber or one time off the rack) how those pages are paid for. Why would it even be alluded to?

The editor should have apologized, plain and simple. It doesn't matter if she agrees or not. Her main job as editor is to build readership in her magazine. Her off-the-cuff response has only driven away a customer and other potential customers. How does that make good business sense?

If I had complained and received that letter as a response I would have been irate to have my concerns dismissed in such a manner. I would never buy another magazine from the company and I would be telling everyone in my knitting circle what happened.

I'm sorry that this happened to you. You can count me in among the others who will no longer purchase this magazine. If that's how they treat customers who buy off the rack I certainly wouldn't want to be a subscriber.

AngMac
10-25-2007, 05:05 PM
How awful. The Editors response is very unprofessional. Well, I know I won't be buying that magazine if I see it in a store. They clearly don't appreciate "off the rack" buyers and are more concerned about their subscribers.

aineepooh1
10-25-2007, 06:54 PM
I hate that this happened.. .I really do LIKE the mag:?? but I DON"T like leaving knitters hanging... especially if your in the knitting zone and want to start your christmas presents~!
I wish there was a friendly comprimise that could be reached... b/c knitters are such a specialized group.. you hate to alienate one~ we SHOULD all be on the same side... :shrug:
Yarn lovers that we are~!:shrug:
this is so sad.. b/c I went to knitting for noggins recently and I met the author of the book Itty Bitty Nursery and Itty Bitty hats and she was such a wonderfully NICE friendly person.. who loved her craft.. I HATE to think that people who are in this craft are so unfriendly~~:think:
I know I am a bit naive ...but STILL~!

I hope this works out for you:biting:
if not pm me and I will gladly give the rest of the pattern to you~!