PDA

View Full Version : Knitting on Multiple Needles

Sandi
10-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I've decided to try knitting on multi needles. My mom did it all the time and made it look so easy.

I have my first bootie on the go and just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks.

It's coming along but I am finding it rather frustrating....

Help!

:knitting:

Mulderknitter
10-23-2007, 04:17 PM
just go slowly and it will come... i still knit very slow on dpn's:muah:

mwhite
10-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Before I got used to it, read an article where someone described it as dealing with a handful of unruly hedgehogs!!!!

Sandi
10-23-2007, 04:30 PM
I totally agree. There are needles everywhere!

cindygster
10-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Yikes!! Y'all are scaring me! Lol... I'm waiting for my first pair of DPN's to make some beer coozies out of. Figured that'd be a nice first DPN project then I'll move on to socks. Learning slowly but surely!:cheering:

mwhite
10-23-2007, 04:44 PM
It's actually simpler than it looks and adds so much to your skills! Just deal with two needles at the time like you've done with straights and you'll love it just as much!!!

Sharly
10-23-2007, 04:50 PM
It's not hard at all, just awkward at first! After your first project, you'll think nothing of using them!

cindycactus
10-23-2007, 05:05 PM
I learned to knit on 4 needles making mittens. After the first few rows it gets better. I just recently ordered a couple sets of DP needles from Knit Picks and there were 5 needles each. That is even easier. So don't give up just keep knitting.:thumbsup:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-23-2007, 05:16 PM
what i do is slip the tip of the needle that i'm working the stitches off of above the tip of the needle i just finished. I also use embroidery floss to make my markers for the ends of my rounds because i can tie them to roughly the same size as the stitch and it makes it easier to just slip to the needle i'm working with without having any sort of bulky plastic thing (not to mention it stays put!). I also go and put point protectors on the end of the needle that i'm working with when I started out. I'm finding i actually prefer dpns to cable needles.

suecq
10-23-2007, 05:58 PM
No matter how many needles you have you are still just knitting an 2 needles at any one time.

brittyknits
10-23-2007, 06:29 PM
DPNs are made in lengths from 4" - 14". It helps to use the shortest length that will work for your project-- meaning, long enough that the stitches don't start coming off of the un-used needles. But you'll find as you go, the hedgehog will calm down and quit wriggling:).

G J
10-23-2007, 07:21 PM
MAGIC LOOP!!!!!:woot:
No lost needles! No Ladders! YAY!

Tutu Carol
10-23-2007, 07:31 PM
I love DPN's .... makes teeny tiny pieces so easy to work !!!!

Fear not !!! They are NOT that hard !!!

Rorshach
10-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Only real problem I found with Dpn's is doing the join/first round, after that, it's just dealing with two needles at once.

debinoz
10-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Ditto what Aaron said.

miccisue
10-24-2007, 08:22 AM
I'll admit it - I was TERRIFIED of the thought of using dpns. But, I'm knitting little goodie bags for my class reunion next year, and couldn't find a little drawstring pattern that worked quite right without using dpns. Some kind souls found ones knit on regular needles, but the joining seam never looked quite right, so I decided to give the dpns a try.

Looking at a WIP with 3 needles sticking out of it is scary!!!! But, with that said, working with them tends to be a lot easier than I ever thought. So far I've got over 20 little bags knitted and am working on more (of course, we won't discuss what this has done to my Christmas knitting plans, LOL!) When I picked the dpns up at my local yarn store, they really didn't even give me a demonstration - they said it was the same as knitting on 2 needles, to take my time, but most of all to make sure the cast on row is always facing the same way on all 3 needles before you begin, Then I used the wonderful KH CD's I got for Christmas last year and watched them 3 or 4 times before I ever started just to make sure I was getting the idea right....and never looked back.

I was so proud of myself for stepping out of my comfort zone and learning a new "trick":woohoo: It's been a great addition to my knitting.

Use the videos, take your time, and you'll be surprised that it isn't at all as hard or scary as it looks.:thumbsup:

bajanKnit
10-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Just remember even though you have more than two needles in your work you are still only knitting with two needles at a time. Just take your time and before long you'll be finish and you wouldn't even realize it. :X:

Sandi
10-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!! One and all.

I finished the first bootie last night, and everyone was right.
By the time I got to the end of it, it had become much easier.
Will finish the second one and post a picture.

I really like the fact that I didn't have to seam anything together...
:knitting:

Sharly
10-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Great! Can't wait to see a picture!