PDA

View Full Version : The "knitting bug"...

cindygster
10-23-2007, 04:44 PM
So I'm just curious...have any of you known anyone who knows how to knit, knits every once in a while, but hasn't been bitten by the "knitting bug" like (I'm assuming) we all have? My mom's the one who turned me on to this site, and she knits but no where near as much as I do. I've gone to her house and I see the afghan she's been working on for like a year just sitting all lonesome in it's basket, and I wanna pick it up and knit the rest out for her. I'll bet she can go for well over a week without even thinking about it :passedout: How is this possible??

Lisa R.
10-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I've shared before that I started so I could teach my dd, and we joined a little mother/daughter knitting club---and we're hooked! (needled??? :-D) Anyway, the lady who began the club and her dd are like we are...constantly looking for patterns, knitting all the time, etc. But some of the folks in there obviously were knitting from 3-5:00 every other Thursday and that was it. They just brought their project and worked on it, and then brought it again in two weeks. So nice to have kindred spirits!!

stirsmommy
10-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I've shared before that I started so I could teach my dd, and we joined a little mother/daughter knitting club---and we're hooked! (needled??? :-D) Anyway, the lady who began the club and her dd are like we are...constantly looking for patterns, knitting all the time, etc. But some of the folks in there obviously were knitting from 3-5:00 every other Thursday and that was it. They just brought their project and worked on it, and then brought it again in two weeks. So nice to have kindred spirits!!

Wow that is just like my knitting group. I think it is a time that they reserve for social and to be productive. They think I am the nut! I started knitting and cannot stop. I take it with me on the five minute drive to church so that I can be doing it for those five minutes.

Samsam
10-23-2007, 07:02 PM
I have friends that knit that aren't addicted like me maybe that's a good thing? ;)
meaning none of them are yarn snobs or whip out their knitting when you go out and have to wait.
or who know famous knitters/ book writers are.

But...you can always teach them! I love sharing everything. hehe

MrsDavis3
10-23-2007, 07:06 PM
From the time I learned to knit about 40 years ago, I would knit 1 to 3 items in a short "knitting binge" about every 10 years (seriously!)
Then, about two years ago a friend of mine showed up wearing a fun fur scarf which was her first project. I thought to myself, "I know how to knit". So I went to a very nice yarn shop, and since then I haven't been able to stop.

newamy
10-23-2007, 07:22 PM
After I learned to knit I discovered one of my aunts can knit. When my grandfather was in a nursing home she would knit while visiting him. She makes scarves and the occasional square for Warm up America. Nothing big. She's actually very smart mathematically so can figure out intricate patterns easily. Her big hobby is quilting, so I suppose that would deter her from having a regular knitting habit.

Mulderknitter
10-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Every once in a while there will be a day I don't knit. But there is NEVER a day I don't think about knitting. I think it depends on the other hobbies/obsessions you have. And i am working online for my master's degree, so sometimes the sweater/otn thing sits for a bit:pout:

jess_hawk
10-23-2007, 08:25 PM
My grandma taught me to knit. She has been working on the same afghan for as long as I can remember (she was working on it when I was in second grade, and that was 12 years ago now, and it was an old project THEN). She taught me the knit stitch and the purl stitch, and one cast on. When I took her my second project, she wanted to know where I learned to knit. She's still convinced that I secretly went out and got lessons from someone else.