PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeve.....About Pedestrians.......

Arielluria
10-23-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm just venting here about something I've been complaining to DH about forever! Why don't pedestrians understand that the shortest distance between 2 points IS a straight line BUT not when you are walking diagonally across traffic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:tap:

I live in a city where we all have to drive everywhere, so I don't have to deal with pedestrians much except in parking lots and it never ceases to amaze me how they just take their everloving TIME walking DIAGONALLY in front of traffic........................rather than straight to the other side to then walk parallel to traffic!

Off my soapbox............back to Ravelry ;)

stitchwitch
10-23-2007, 05:33 PM
I have a major peeve with some pedestrians. By law, in the town in Tennessee that we have our place in you are required to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk, no problem. The thing is, the "strip" where all the stores and restaurants and activities are is bumper to bumper traffic (less than 5 mph any given time) and wall to wall foot traffic on the sidewalks. It's a headache to simply drive on the road to get out of town. People will just lurch into the crosswalk without looking for traffic and people come from both sides. I literally have to keep watch out of "jumpers" as we put it while my husband drives through there because he can't watch the road and the people who feel because a car should yield that it means go ahead and risk your life even if the driver is looking the other way. :hair: Alot of times they are hidden by the cars on either side and aren't visable until they are right in front of you.

MellieThePooh
10-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Hm-while I can certainly relate to the frustration over peds who dawdle around parking lots (personally, I park in the boondocks area of the lot just so I can avoid them all near the entrance), as a pedestrian 80% of the time I have a pet peeve of my own: cars who run yellow and red left turn arrows when I'm trying to cross. I can't tell you how often I sit at the crosswalk all through the light patiently, then almost miss my walk signal because I'd rather not die by Lexus, thank you very much. If I were a little old lady who couldn't drive and had to walk everywhere, I would be dead twenty times over by now.

ecb
10-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Here in Maine all drivers must yield to Pedestrians.
I live next to the same tourist town I grew up in, and we have a 5 way intersection right along Route 1 (Major Highway/country road) that runs through my town.

All along Rt 1 are the Tourist shops. and you are RIGHT, the concept of Cross walks do not occure to people. They see us locals crossing with comfort and ease with little or no fear at the cross walks, so they just cross, anytime, anywhere.

In front of BIG RIGS, Delivery Trucks, Kids on Motorcycles etc

Yes I understand your pain
and the other piece is these SAME people cannot be bthered to stop for ANY pedestrian in a croswalk, or will even Rush them to get past before you have reached THEIR part of the cross walk

They are dangerous

ecb

knitgal
10-23-2007, 07:45 PM
I have to agree with Mellie. I do see that pedestrians can be a problem, and a lot of people take the whole "pedestrians have the right of way" thing a little far, but I have almost been killed a million times too. When you're driving a car, you have a huge advantage over a pedestrian. It's quite scary to be almost run over and sometimes people get confused and just cross...stupid, yes, but they don't mean to be stupid.
I think pedestrians and drivers need to be more understanding of each other. Pedestrians should cross where they are supposed to and not jaywalk, and drivers should stop at lights and be patient of pedestrians.

brendajos
10-23-2007, 08:28 PM
I actually did get "hit" by someone when I was crossing the street once. I lived in Baton Rouge and the part of town I lived in had NO sidewalks and no cross walks. That didn't mean I didn't cross in the same area I would if there was one though. I was crossing the street and a woman was trying to inch out to see oncoming traffic and didn't even bother to look the other way. If she had, she would have seen me crossing in front of her. She really did just tap me and I am fairly certain, from the look on her face, she learned a pretty good lesson but I was highly irritated. One of my friends there said I should have fallen down and sued her...lol. Unfortunately, falling down probably WOULD have gotten me killed because I would have had to fall into a busy street.

The thing that concerns me more than pedestrians though, really, is bicyclists. I have a friend who is a competitive cyclist and I hear horror stories from him all the time that nearly break my heart. People just don't pay attention OR give them proper room to ride. So many cyclists die or are permanently disabled because of getting clipped by motorists who don't give them proper road respect like they would another motor vehicle. :wall:

KnitClickChick
10-23-2007, 08:59 PM
I can see both sides. Where I live, it is the law to yield to pedestrians at a crosswalk. A lot of people don't though. I have waited forever for people to stop when I had to cross the street. Many times, traffic one way would stop, but the other side would just keep comin. I have seen people just start walking, assuming that the cars will stop. On the other hand, some people do like to take their time and that is extremely aggravating!! You're not out for a Sunday stroll on the boardwalk, people..... :)

vaknitter
10-23-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm okay with pedestrians as I am one quite often - however, please do not walk across the street while talking on your cell phone and searching for something in your bag. Be considerate of the fact that cars are stopped for you and get across the street - today !!

That said - I live in a university town where people step out into the street without looking b/c It's the law that I stop for them ...

stitchwitch
10-23-2007, 10:25 PM
That said - I live in a university town where people step out into the street without looking b/c It's the law that I stop for them ...

That's what I'm talking about! The people who look like they aren't ready to cross and then all of the sudden just lurch out without looking! Gatlinburg is full of them, they're all on vacation and have left their brains at home. I hate to drive there. I have no problem stopping for pedestrians and will always look to see if there is someone in or around the crosswalk but when people just step on out without regard, well that's just assinine.

debinoz
10-23-2007, 11:30 PM
I can see where you'd be annoyed at people just stepping off the curb in front of you.
Most people walk across parking lots at a slant because they're usually aiming for the door. It just doesn't occur to most of us to go straight across and then walk down/up to the door.
I've had people cussing at me, calling me names and showing rude hand jestures because I didn't run/jog across a street. I can't. Medical problems keep me from going any faster than "stroll" speed. So, if I stop to let someone cross, or a person is already crossing, I don't complain because I think "what if that were me?"

hummingbird
10-25-2007, 02:53 PM
I don't like when lights are timed so that the walk light and the left turn light go at the same time. You either can't turn left or you have to wait to cross the street.

Yes pedestrians have the right of way, but that doesn't make it a good idea to just wander into traffic as if there weren't any cars there.

As a general rule, look both ways and then cross the street. If there are no cars comming, I don't see the point is waiting to cross.

Kaydee
10-25-2007, 04:27 PM
I live in Boston, and am more often a pedestrians than not, so I have to side with the pedestrians on this one. I can't tell you how many times someone has sped up while I'm crossing in the cross walk. Or you are crossing when there's no cars and someone makes a turn not looking and almost hits you. I was walking at lunch time with a friend and we were crossing the street, and had to litterally jump out of the way for a car that was speeding down the road. Why should I have to run across the street because they don't feel like stopping for me?

Arielluria
10-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Let me say I TOTALLY understand the pedestrians' woes, I've lived in other very busy cities (comparable to NY city) in other countries where the drivers are WORSE than anything we have here! They seem to almost AIM for the pedestrians!:teehee: It's a real life and death struggle!

My main complaint was the jaywalkers........the diagonal walkers. Didn't they pay attention in math class? Don't they know it takes longer to go across that way?!? I always think of others when I'm driving OR walking, I hustle through as a pedestrian. I just wish others (mainly in parking lots) would have the same courtesy.

Off my soapbox now.
:flirt:

trollgirl
10-25-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm a fairly new driver and I have to admit that pedestrians stress me out when I'm driving. Edmonton is a very car-oriented city, so most of the time I don't have to deal with them at all, but in parking lots and downtown I'm always on the look-out for people who seem to have a death wish. I used to bus/walk a lot before I got my car and I was always mindful of where the cars were and if anyone was being polite and waiting for me to cross I'd hurry across.

Both drivers and pedestrians really need to work together. There's lots of pedestrians who take it for granted that the cars are going to stop for them, but I've also almost be run over by people who completely forget that they share the road with pedestrians as well. I was crossing the road one time and this lady was trying to turn right while talking on her cellphone. She was looking out for oncoming traffic and the minute she saw a break she went and looked completely shocked when she saw I was crossing the road in front of her.

And this might sound strange to some people but sometimes (as a pedestrian) I get annoyed by drivers who are a little too polite. This usually happens when I'm trying to cross a very busy road with no crosswalk in sight. I see a break in the traffic and I can quite easily get across, apart from one car that's coming towards me on the far side of the road. I start crossing, expecting the car to continue at the same pace, so I can cross after it goes by and before the wall of cars that's coming hits me and makes me go splat. However, the one car sees me, and decides to slow down, and now I have to decide if I want to stop, in the middle of the road, no less, and let it go, or rush in front of it. And you don't know what the driver's going to do. Maybe they'll decide not to wait for you anymore and gun it. And all the while the huge wall of cars keeps coming towards you. *sigh*

Arielluria
10-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Motorists definitely have to give pedestrians the right of way, BUT some pedestrians take advantage of that and forget do what they want in walking, forgetting that we can't always stop on a dime!

They make me nervous too.

iza
10-26-2007, 09:17 AM
I live in a city where there's a WAR between pedestrians, drivers and bicyclists. :teehee: Many drivers don't stop for anybody, which causes pedestrians to jaywalk (what else can they do? Drivers don't even respect red lights!) and bicyclists to go on the sidewalks, which is extremely dangerous to pedestrians, or to take risks. That makes the good drivers frustrated and so they start doing like all the others and stop respecting the law. :shrug: There's a lot to do here that's for sure...

boyforpele13
10-27-2007, 03:27 AM
i do both lots of walking and lots of driving, so i get to be on both ends of this. as a driver, the HUGEST pet peeve with peds is similar to Lu's complaint about the straight line, but I must elaborate on that to the parking lots where the pedestrians are walking in the middle of the parking lot while you're trying to find a spot, many times an entire family scattered throughout and i'm just sitting there practically going backwards because i can't get through on either side and they're oblivious. it just seems common sense to me for one's own safety to stay a LITTLE closer to the sides, although i can understand not being right up next to the parked cars for fear of being hit by a careless reverse-er. but the weaving around and chatting and sipping lattes really has to stop. what really irks me about this is there are often children present and they are teaching these kids bad habits, which can also be very unsafe.

as a pedestrian, i really just people would observe the crossings!!!! so simple!!!! at a busy grocery store, there are 2 crosswalks set up for pedestrians. there, we have right of way, although i do think some take the pedestrians' right of way thing too far, but at designated crosswalks and at lights with walk/don't walk signs, there is just little excuse. at 30 years old, there have only been 2 occasions in my life where I was disrespectful to an elder, and one of them was while trying to cross a crosswalk there and he tried to kill me (with a stop sign as well, no less,) which was bad enough, but then he proceeded to make rude gestures at ME. (sigh) (the other time was when someone called my my mother "hey lady" and that is unacceptable to me, just FYI ;-)) then sometimes i like to count how many cars whush past me while i'm standing there waiting to cross, with those running the stop signs getting extra points.

i think knitgal said it well that we all need to be more understanding of each other.

kellyh57
10-27-2007, 11:51 AM
What's up with walking 4 or 5 wide too? I thought it was common sense to walk in a single file line when there was a car present so they could get by? I don't know how many times I've been following a group through a parking lot right on their rear ends (to make a point) and they still walk all spread out, clueless to the fact that they are about to be run over.

Kelly