PDA

View Full Version : what i would have liked to take home from rhinebeck

bellium
10-23-2007, 09:27 PM
jacob sheep!
http://www.horsesponyspets.com/images/IM001751.JPG
did anyone see these little darling sheep there? i have been planning, for the past few months, to get a few goats to keep as pets, but i could be swayed from the goats by these little guys. not only are they cute, and apparently have more personality than your average sheep, but i could have fiber to spin - something i'd not get from a mini goat.
http://www.horsesponyspets.com/images/IM001171.JPG
aren't they adorable?

Ingrid
10-23-2007, 10:20 PM
They'd match your dog, too. :teehee:

They are the cutest!!!!:inlove:

debinoz
10-23-2007, 10:25 PM
We had a goat and a couple of sheep once. I'd go with the sheep. Our goat was an absolute Houdini when it came to getting out. He also had a great love for butting people. He pinned my oldest Ds (he was 7 at the time) to the side of the car and refused to let him move. My brother finally got him to move by rattling a paper bag. He hated those things.

itsazoo
10-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Oh My! They are way cute. I was at the sheep & wool fest but I didn't see those little guys.

We have 6 goats and they are more fun to watch than anything on TV. They're pretty hardy. But sheep would be a great excuse to get into spinning.

I'm holding out for an alpaca.

HollyP
10-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Oooh I want one too! They are too cute!! I wonder what my county's ordinance is about farm animals in a neighborhood:teehee:

AnotherBecca
10-24-2007, 05:51 AM
Oh, how cute are they!?!? :)

bellium
10-24-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm holding out for an alpaca.

i would love an alpaca, but have you seen how much they are? the alpaca breeders at the festival say they don't eat a lot, which i suppose would keep the cost down, but i don't think i am independently wealthy enough to have an alpaca right now. sheep, i could handle...

PurlyGyrl
10-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Ingrid: :roflhard:

What unusual coloring--like a Holstein.

sinistral_needler
10-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Ingrid: :roflhard:

What unusual coloring--like a Holstein.

I was thinking that too! I thought it was just because I've lived in Wisconsin too long! :mrgreen:

IamtheWalter
10-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Oooh!

And about the goats, I don't know too much about them, but there are pygoras (http://www.pygoragoats.org/)

Sanibelle
10-24-2007, 09:28 AM
I was there but I did not see them either. But I fell in love with the alpacas that were in the alpaca and llama barn. They are so cute!

There a a 12 year old boy that belonged 2 4H that had 2 alpaca there. He was talking about how he raised them and takes care of them. He was the most articulate child I have ever seen. He did say that llama are much more friendly to people and that alpaca just tolerated them. He also told us that the only sound that the alpaca could make was to hum and the more stressed they were, the louder the humming. One of his was humming a little and I felt sorry for the guy - he must have been pretty stressed out with people coming and going all day long.

This is such a great festival and if you live anywhere near Rhinebeck NY, you should really try to attend. Between the animals and at least 200 yarn vendors it is a day in knitting heaven.

itsazoo
10-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by bellium:
i would love an alpaca, but have you seen how much they are?

This is true if you want a female or a stud quality male. The neutered males are more affordable and a lot of alpaca breeders will "give" you a neutered male with a pregnant female since alpacas are herd animals and you can't have just one. (I have been doing major alpaca research)

Of course if the male has a high quality fiber they are worth more but most farms have more non stud males than they want.

laptop_knitter
10-24-2007, 12:12 PM
How much acreage/land do these guys need as a small herd? They look so cute!