PDA

View Full Version : How Loose is Too Loose?

GardenGirlKnitsToo
10-24-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm consciously trying to loosen up my knitting so that cables aren't such a pain, and I'm wondering if it's possible to knit too loosely? For example, if a pattern calls for US 10 needles, and I can get gauge on US 6, will there be a difference in the look of the finished project?

This is an extreme example, but I ask because I seem unable to achieve a middle-of-the-road tension. It's either really tight, or really loose. :shrug:

cranberry
10-24-2007, 10:46 AM
That's a great question. I knit really loose too and can never get gauge. I have to go down at least 4 needle sizes and it worrys me. The baby sweater I'm making now is 4 needle sizes smaller and it's still huge. It's frustrating.

suzeeq
10-24-2007, 11:49 AM
If you're getting gauge it shouldn't matter what size the needles are, but going down 4 sizes? Is your swatch stiff or nice and drapey? If it's stiff, I'd go up a size or two and make a smaller size. If you're using heavier yarn than the pattern calls for, you're going to get larger gauge no matter how many sizes you go down.

kbagel
10-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Do you knit continental or english style? I can do both and I've noticed that my knitting is noticably looser when I knit continental. Before I learned continental though, I used to throw the yarn and then hold both the right needle and the yarn further back, rather than so close to the tips. I'm not sure if that makes sense, I know it sounds weird but that also loosened my guaget noticabley.