PDA

View Full Version : Please stop having babies for like just one minute

bip
10-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Please, friends and co-workers, stop having babies for like one minute. Sure, I am 30-ish and so are most of my friends and co-workers, so it is age appropriate behavior. But it is messing up my knitting mojo. Every time I start a project (or three), one of you (or your wife/girlfriend) goes and gets in delicate condition. I am them compelled to knit a baby blanket, which leaves my other 3 WIPs in various states of UF-ness - abject neglect, really - for weeks at a time.

Sure, I know what you are thinking. No one asked me to make all these baby blankets. True. But that is why I referred to it as "compelled". I have a compulsion. Must. Knit. Baby. Blankets. Or little tops, which go faster, but still interrupt the flow of things. Your offspring are my defense mechanism, my #1 prime procastination tool that allows me to avoid finishing my "real" projects.

Basically, you are just giving booze to the alcoholic here. I am powerless to stop. So please help me by not having any more babies. Or possibly having them, but keeping them a secret until the are teenagers and officially no longer cute enough to knit for.

:mrgreen:

MMario
10-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Amen to that! I am so far behind on my baby gifts it's ridiculous!

astonh
10-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Oh my goodness... Must....breathe..... bip, you are TOO funny. I was ROLLING with laughter. Sadly, it was even funnier cause I know, in a way, you were being serious, but OMG that was HILARIOUS!!!!

msoebel
10-24-2007, 11:03 AM
I can completely relate. I wish more people would keep their children secrets until they are teens and no longer irresistable to knit for.

I made myself hide all my "baby" yarn just so I will work on Christmas presents. I am pretending I forgot where it is. (I hope I don't really forget....)

And when Christmas season is over...I am going to make myself...something...DARN IT!

cranberry
10-24-2007, 11:08 AM
What about hand knit booties and a store bought gift to go a long with it?

Secksiebrat
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

:yay::yay:

That was great. Ahhh a great way to start my wednesday morning off. I probably shouldn't say it but we are trying for another one! :teehee:

~danielle~

bip
Don't get me started on Christmas! I am going to need to file an extension for that this year (Christmas is like the IRS, right?)

:rofl:

bip
10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
What about hand knit booties and a store bought gift to go a long with it?

An excellent idea, that unfortunately doesn't satisfy my compulsion :-P

bip
10-24-2007, 11:12 AM
That was great. Ahhh a great way to start my wednesday morning off. I probably shouldn't say it but we are trying for another one! :teehee:

~danielle~

Well, you just keep yourself down in Texas and I'll just keep myself up here in New England and we'll probably be just fine :) <uses.all.strength.to.resist.picking.up.needles.and . baby.yarn>

jjminarcik
10-24-2007, 11:12 AM
I completely agree, everyone I know is either pregnant of just had a baby. Take a break already!!!!!

Sharly
10-24-2007, 11:19 AM
:roflhard: Bip you are too funny!

KnittingNat
10-24-2007, 11:21 AM

ladyjessica
10-24-2007, 11:27 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's great! I wish I had some of your compulsion. I started a baby blanket for my niece almost 2 years ago and it's still not finished. My niece is now 14 months old and probably will be too big for it soon. Sigh. hehe.

bip
10-24-2007, 11:30 AM
That's great! I wish I had some of your compulsion. I started a baby blanket for my niece almost 2 years ago and it's still not finished. My niece is now 14 months old and probably will be too big for it soon. Sigh. hehe.

If you let is sit around long enough, you can make it for HER daughter!

LauraD
10-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Now that was hilarious! I saw the title and wasn't quite sure where it was going!

HA!

ritaw
10-24-2007, 11:43 AM
That is so true ! I have just found out that two of my friends are expecting and i am dropping everything to start making baby things.

I sometimes buy things from the shops but the knitted stuff is so much nicer. And i have to say i enjoy doing it.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-24-2007, 12:25 PM
i don't have many people that i know that are expecting... i admit though... when i was still crocheting i made up a bunch of little sweater sets for girls, hats/socks sets for boys and each comes with an afghan. I have them wrapped in tissue paper in my closet in a rubbermaid bin...

Sandi
10-24-2007, 02:04 PM
I know what you mean about being "compelled". But for the life of me I can't figure out why it happens.
I wandered into my favorite yarn store last week just to browse and kill a little time.
By the time I left I had wool, pattern and needles........this is the kicker....TO MAKE BOOTIES!
I have no friends that are expecting,no family either, I'm not (thank god!)
But here I sit, knitting baby booties......?

:knitting:

miccisue
10-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Bip,

You need to hang out with older friends....you know, the ones with either teens or past "the change". We're just as much fun, and a lot cheaper!!!!!!! :teehee:

Debkcs
10-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the best giggle of the morning! I felt that way for years, then my friends stopped having babies. Now their babies are having babies. "And the circle, it goes round and round . . ."

ladyjessica
10-24-2007, 02:14 PM
If you let is sit around long enough, you can make it for HER daughter!
Haha! So true. Well, I just found out last week that they're having ANOTHER one so now I'll have to make something for the new baby, so I really should finish this one first. Maybe after Christmas......hehe.

walmin22
10-24-2007, 04:46 PM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Oh My that made me laugh so hard! I totally understand! I'm a newbie at knitting, it hasn't even been a year yet. But out the of 5 items I have knitted 4 of them where for babies of friends and family! Which is very sad because the only thing I did knit for my own kids is causing daily fights between the 3 and 2 year old. It's very hard sharing a Super Hero Cape! While I want to start on the 2nd cape I'm compelled to start another baby project for another set of friends who just announced they were prego!

There should be a support group out there somewhere!

efooey
10-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Ummm, ok

E

:: grabbing my big belly and running away from this post!::

brittyknits
10-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Very good, bip, very good.:roflhard: You made my day:roflhard:.

Jan in CA
10-24-2007, 07:38 PM
:teehee: Make a hat and booties instead.. it's faster! ;)

madametj
10-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Please, friends and co-workers, stop having babies for like one minute.

Or possibly having them, but keeping them a secret until the are teenagers and officially no longer cute enough to knit for.

:mrgreen:

so teenagers are ugly now? :noway:
lol jk:teehee: i know what you mean.

MrsDavis3
10-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Gosh...I just realized I have two pregnant nieces for whom I haven't knitted yet!!!!!

bip
10-24-2007, 09:59 PM

Not ugly, just moody and talking back (speaking from my own experience as a teenager anyway). Plus, you big kids can knit your own darn stuff :)!

madametj
10-24-2007, 11:35 PM

Not ugly, just moody and talking back (speaking from my own experience as a teenager anyway). Plus, you big kids can knit your own darn stuff :)!
lol. most of us are far too lazy for that!:teehee:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-24-2007, 11:40 PM
so in the interest of getting slapped, does anyone have some quick and easy booties and hats patterns? a woman in the tribe is pregnant (although she doesn't realize it yet.. my dh has an uncanny ability to tell when someone is pregnant, usually before they know themselves!)

Ronda
10-25-2007, 08:54 AM
:roflhard:

merchgirl
10-25-2007, 10:58 AM
so in the interest of getting slapped, does anyone have some quick and easy booties and hats patterns?

i really like the "one hour booties" from the SnB nation book. they knit up really quickly! as for hats, i have always (all 10 months of my knitting! hehe) used the pattern that comes free with my favorite baby hat yarn. it's by art yarns, called "candy". takes less than a skein and can be knit up in an evening. it's a very simple stockinette pattern (which calls for being seamed up, but i always knit in the round instead). that hat was the very first thing i knit, before i even learned how to do the purl stitch!

best of luck!

bip
10-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Just great! Now I feel compelled to include booties and a hat with every blanket. I mean, wouldn't it be lazy not to? They only take an hour or two... :-P

merchgirl
10-25-2007, 11:31 AM
maybe i should specify that when i say "knit up in an evening", i meant all evening of doing nothing else. cuz i'm like that. :) the hats probably take me around 5 hours or so?

mari_13
10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Oh boy can I relate! My BFF is pregnant with twins and she's expecting knitted goods. Everytime someone is pregnant at DH's job he's begging for a baby item. And my poor little toddler gets all the leftover knitting! Why am I such a slow knitter?!

hellokitty165
10-25-2007, 01:29 PM
do you all notice that most babies nowsaday are girls ??? there is a report said that girls will be over-blooming in the future and less boys...some even said that in next generation there might be girls fighting for boys...another is one man have a lot of wives... ladies will be left alone cos' there would not have enough man on earth...
So far i enjoy knitting baby girls stuff...like shrug...sweater with lace... more interesting !

D
10-25-2007, 02:31 PM
As someone who is due in a couple weeks, should I hide from this thread? :P Though I must admit, there does seem to be a lot more pregnant women (and babies) around! But I thought it only seemed that way because I was. heh
Hellokitty, my little one is going to be a boy.. though there does seem to be girls-a-plenty around!
As far as booties go, I thoroughly recommend Saartje's Booties. Cute, quick and easy!
http://www.saartjeknits.nl/

Marj
10-25-2007, 06:53 PM
See I have the opposite problem. I don't know anyone having any babies. Not that I know many people in general(I am working on being a recluse).

I have a number of baby blankets laying around. Most of them I haven't even weaved(woven?) in the loose ends yet.

I should find some place to donate them to but I haven't as yet because I want to take pictures of them first.

Plus I don't always make them in traditional baby colors. Some of them might need parents who like loud, bright colors as I do to use them on their babies. :)

Marjorie

jeanius80
10-25-2007, 07:07 PM
d- i was going to say the same bootie pattern :)
I just finished a pair for dd (using microspun yarn) She was running around all morning in them, even though i don't have buttons on them :) Very fast knit and so adorable!

MellieThePooh
10-25-2007, 09:00 PM
do you all notice that most babies nowsaday are girls ??? there is a report said that girls will be over-blooming in the future and less boys...some even said that in next generation there might be girls fighting for boys...another is one man have a lot of wives... ladies will be left alone cos' there would not have enough man on earth...
So far i enjoy knitting baby girls stuff...like shrug...sweater with lace... more interesting !

Hm, I've heard the opposite for boys, since China has the 1 baby per couple rule and selective abortions are becoming more common in India. Maybe it'll even out.

psammeadred
10-28-2007, 04:12 PM
I went from having no babies in my life to having 4 (or maybe it was 5) in a year!!! Things calmed down for a while, but I have a friend at work who's due on Thursday.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-28-2007, 04:18 PM
there've only been TWO girls concieved/born into dh's family in the last 7 generations. neither saw their first birthday (SIDS and miscarriage). I hope there are plenty of girls out there for our boys LOL

iwfinley
10-28-2007, 05:51 PM
My two sons are in elementary school, and have absolutely WONDERFUL teachers -- ladies I wish they could take with them as they get older who are just awesome with kids. Unfortunately, three of them are currently pregnant!! My older son's second grade teacher who welcomed us with open arms when we moved to the school district mid-year and who made the transition for my son the best it could be, is now my younger son's second grade teacher. She left on maternity leave early on Thursday and I am just finishing her blanket. Then my oldest went to third grade where he had a super teacher and now she is expecting in January. This year, in fourth grade, he has another great teacher and she is due in March . . . . . I love them all so feel like I must knit knit knit!!!!!!! But really, is there like something in the water in that school or what??? If his fifth grade teacher next year turns up pregnant I'm going to wonder what kind of karma my kid has. . . . :muah:

knitgal
10-28-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm actually in the opposite position. I wish I had some little baby to knit for! I see all these adorable baby patterns and I have no one to knit them for. It's tragic really. Maybe I should knit things for other people to give to babies!

The.Knitter
10-28-2007, 06:53 PM
The best is when you get to knit for your grandchildren. Get them all excited about it. Show it to them. Let them watch while you knit for them. Then go home and do it in peace and quiet and take it back to them finished. Thank God, there IS some advantage to menopause. I was beginning to wonder......