PDA

View Full Version : how to ward off an un-wanted x-mas present?

efooey
10-24-2007, 11:40 AM
My MIL keeps hinting around about buying me yarn for christmas. As great as it would be to have someone build up my stash for me, MIL is not a knitter and wouldn't know what to get. Any ideas on how to convince her to get a gift certificate or something like that?

E

kokum2
10-24-2007, 11:44 AM
If the gift certificate is not available, why not give her a "wish List" of yarn or accessories that you would like?

HamaLee
10-24-2007, 11:45 AM
How about trying to name drop when she hints around? I don't know how outright she is about her hinting, but if she's at all direct or trying to gauge your interest you could respond by saying specific things like:

"OOh yes, it would be so nice to have X skeins of THISBRAND of yarn, I saw some in THIS STORE the other day."

Something along those lines, and you could also just name drop yarn brands you like and websites so maybe she'll at least pick that up.

jodstr2
10-24-2007, 11:45 AM
:think: maybe ask your spouse to suggest to his mom that a gift certif would be better? :shrug:

redwitch
10-24-2007, 11:47 AM
You could ask hubby or FIL to suggest a voucher "Mum she's really fussy about what wools she likes, I wouldn't buy her wool myself, I would get her a voucher, she'll love you for it and definitely get something she really really wants that way... when you walk into the shop you will understand, it's like a warehouse full of all different stuff, sock wool, cotton, acrylic, differnt fibres and weights and colours, superwash, I am always lost but I get her vouchers".
Or next time she hints, you could say 'ooh that's SO thoughtful! Anything handpainted would be great/anything sock weight/I really love this stuff called Noro/as long as it's blue or green/shall I write it down? that's K-O-I-G-U'
If she is hinting like that maybe she wants a hint about what to get!

GinnyG
10-24-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't know anyone who takes the time and effort to give a gift that doesn't want it to be liked. So, I would not hesitate to tell her how very much you appreciate her effort and to help her, because buying yarn can be very confusing, you are giving her a list of the yarns you would LOVE to have. At the same time tell her that if that is a confusing request , you would appreciate a gift certificate from your LYS just as much. My guess is she will be relieved to have the guess work taken out of the task!