PDA

View Full Version : I have a new convert to shop with/ideas?

Mulderknitter
10-24-2007, 05:51 PM
so, I recently met a coworker of my DH, and she was wildly amazed that I had knit my own scarf (it is my best one so far:flirt:) and said I should teach her to knit. I don't have a lot of extra time to hang out with people, so I put together a gift bag for her, a few balls of yarn, a set of needles and the "ready set knit" book. needless to say a few days later she came into work and showed DH her "bookmark". She may be hooked. She and her DH are coming over on saturday to drink and play games and such, and there is a new LYS store that I haven't been to. She said she would love to go. Sooooooo my question is... when I get this girl into the store, how do I help her so she doesn't overdo it? (We have to admit, sometimes the knitting bug doesn't quite take:pout:) I don't want her to spend a ton of money if she ends up not being an addict, but I want to help her with the basics. Any ideas?

G J
10-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Well, my first response is, "So she doesn't take to knitting! She'll GIVE YOU the great yarn, so help her pick out REALLY NICE STUFF!" :cheering:

:roflhard:

Then I thought, "She'll love it! A good starter project, according to the Yarn Harlot is a hat. Help her choose something lovely and soft with some give to it. A skein or two should be plenty for that!

Ironlung21
10-24-2007, 06:24 PM
biggish needles + fabulous wool + simple pattern + something easily portable (namely not a doctor who (very long) scarf = quick results, probable addict....
What's a DH? Dear Heart?

Mulderknitter
10-24-2007, 08:05 PM
DH is darling husband, as DS is darling son, dw is darling wife..etc

Ironlung21
10-25-2007, 01:29 AM
Feeling a bit daft - thank you for helping me out. To help I have just read the abbreviations commonly used on this site page - I will never keep up with all those!Dear Heart wasn't such a bad guess. Best of luck with the shopping trip...