PDA

View Full Version : Problem starting a sock

kitkat
10-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Soooo....last week I tried to cast on a regia 4 ply - did 60 on a 2.5.......about half an inch down, it just didnt look right. The jacquard looked like yarn vomit, not pretty.

So...last night...cast on 60 again, with a 2.25. Too small. Tried again with 66. Dropped a stitch. Tried again with 66 - dropped a stitch....the 2.25 is killing me!

I finally gave up. I was getting a headache from counting the 66 stitches and then dividing onto my circulars. Tonight I am going to try to with a different brand of circular, (last night was hiya'hiyas). This is the one thing I dont like about sock knitting. The starting.

4 flipping tries! I could have had half a sock done!

gingerbread
10-25-2007, 08:44 AM
I just like my dpn's but I am waiting with bated breath, on Silver's tutorial on the one sock on two circular needles.
All I can say is keep trying and you will get the counting right.

GiddyKnitter
10-25-2007, 08:53 AM
I have to agree with Gingerbread it's DPN'S every time for me I feel like I have more control over things and especially with Regia on 2 25 they are tiny and your fingers will start to ache if your all tensed up! Keep trying the first bit is always the hardest.

dustinac
10-25-2007, 09:20 AM
:hug:I love that you are staying with it and not giving up :thumbsup:

I was a dpn sock knitter... and if you tried to pull me over to circs or magic loop I'd kick and scream...might even bite... but I gave in and tried Magic Loop on the illusion socks and well every since I've used Magic Loop :blush:...I have tried 2 circs but quickly went back to dpns...this is up next for me...make myself stay on the 2circs...the dpns will be ok I don't need to feel guilty...:teehee:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-25-2007, 09:45 AM
the problem i'm having is just after the heel when i have to go and start joining the top of the sock and the heel (for those of you wondering, i'm doing the basic sock pattern on page 8 of learn to knit socks using a size 3 dpn and sensations bellezz collection stellina wool blend in purple). i keep winding up with a gap where the stitches should be meeting and turned to make the remainder of the sock (after the cuff and heel). also, anyone who wears a size 6 shoe, how long is your foot from heel to toe? the person i'm making them fore wears a 5/6 shoe and i wear an 8...

kitkat
10-25-2007, 09:45 AM
I like doing on circs - once I get going - but honest to pete, the getting there is driving me crazy! I ordered a set of harmony circulars in 2.25 and I am hopeful that they will be a little more sticky to hold those initial stitches. After the third time last night I realized I was getting flustrated so it was clearly time to stop! If the harmonies don't come by Saturday, I will start on dpn's and switch over later.

Jan in CA
10-25-2007, 01:39 PM
What method are you using? I have made them on DPNs, but I just learned the 2 circ method and love it! I'm using size 1 for mine right now.

kitkat
10-25-2007, 01:51 PM
I am doing circs - thinking maybe it just had been too long of a day and I was knitting a bit too............TENSELY.

With respect to your gap, are you talking about that triangle corner when you pick up your stitches? You have to be careful how you pick up in the corner - because it can make the gap worse. I normally pick up an extra stitch or two, and pick it up in the row below the working row - that seems to help eliminate the gaps. I wore a pair yesterday that had a terrible gap - it was my second pair....

Jeremy
10-25-2007, 03:27 PM
You might want to try the Addi lace needles. They have that nice flexible cord but the finish is a little stickier cause its for lace. I really like them for socks.

kitkat
10-25-2007, 05:31 PM
oh there is a good idea! Is Jeff Wonderland still out there selling needles????

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-25-2007, 09:02 PM
yeah, it's the little triangle that i was talking about....

gingerbread
10-26-2007, 05:36 AM
I just measured my foot and it is a nine from heel to the tip of my big toe. I wear a 5/6 shoe. So hope that helps ya. :thumbsup:

kitkat
10-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Trying to think who has the best instructions on closing that gap......http://hipknitism.com/classes/basic_ribbed_socks/tips_tricks.shtml

Check that out - she may have some tips.