PDA

View Full Version : Blanket / Quilt dilemma

cusebassman
10-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Hello all - I did some searching and didn't come up with anything too similar to my problem, so here goes :)

I began knitting 7" squares of Lion Velvetspun for what was originally intended to be a baby blanket for a coworker who just had a baby girl. I chose this yarn because I am colorblind, was looking for a thick yarn available in light tones, and one of my female roommates helped me pick colors at Joann's, so I ended up starting to work with it.

I ended up buying carnation and lavender, to make 7" squares in a standard stockinette pattern, which I would then quilt together in opposing grains and opposing colors.

I soon realised that the generated material would not stand up to constant washing, which I think is requisite when it comes to anything that comes in constant contact with a small child.

So, I revised the plan to knit a larger amount of squares, and essentially quilt a heavy blanket that the mother could use, but it is in light colors, so it would still be a sort of commemoration of the baby's birth. I have since gottenb mixed opinions from people about how this gift will perceived, mainly in its purpose, as it is decidedly a baby-tone blanket, but is too fragile and too large to use with a child.

Just thought I would ramble a bit, and maybe get some opinions, thanks!

cranberry
10-25-2007, 11:41 AM
I think a gift for mom would be great. That way she can snuggle up on the couch with the baby and keep warm. Plus it's nice to get something for yourself, as most people buy for the baby. Then when the baby get's older, they can use it too. I don't think this is odd at all. It's very nice!

BioTherapy
10-25-2007, 03:37 PM
I agree, My best present for my baby was a pillow for me to use on the couch so I could feed her comphotably.

You should go for makeing her a blanket... Or there is the fact that it could be an "as baby grows" blanket... I made all my boys blankets large and my 5 year old uses his still.

cusebassman
10-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the responses :) I've already knitted about 30 7" squares, and I've only been at it for about 2 weeks, so I think I will go big and make it at least the size of a quilt for a twin bed. At that point I wouldn't be so much concerned about the added cost or the time to make more squares, but the amount of time it is going to take to seem all the pieces together. Even with a sewing machine, it is going to be an appreciable amount of time, and I might do it by hand as well. I would like to be done by Christmas, so we'll see when I get there :)

Becky Morgan
10-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Why don't you put the afghan together, then knot it (rather than quilting it) to a piece of fleece? Could be pink, could be lavender, could be a print--it comes in 58-60" widths, so two yards will make you a BIG blanket, and you wouldn't have the extensive seaming. For that matter, if you can crochet, you can knot the afghan to the fleece, then punch the fleece edges and crochet it onto the afghan.