PDA

View Full Version : Inherited an incomplete afghan from Grandma

sinistral_needler
10-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

If you inherited an incomplete afghan from your grandmother (or any other family member) .. and you really dislike the pattern .. but have all this yarn and a partially done afghan .. what would you do? It is a crocheted afghan that has about six different colors and each color has only two lines each - so it is a real pain in the hiney. It is a ripple afghan and I don't like the design of the ripple. Everything just seems wrong with this thing - but it is from my grandmother! I feel like I am supposed to treasure this thing but I just want to take the yarn and use it for something else. There are only about two repeats done, so a majority of the yarn is still unused. Probably about 80% at least.

What would you do? Complete the afghan or use the un-used yarn for something else?

I kinda feel like a jerk for not wanting to complete the afghan but I really don't like the pattern .... :(

knitwit
10-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Is it possible for you to preserve what's already been done (IE the 20% that's in the pattern) and then finish the piece with a new updated pattern that you like - that way, you get to keep her work but merge it with yours?

Or depending on the length that's done, can you bind it off & make a scarf?

Or you could always box it back up and store for later inspirations...............

jessica555
10-25-2007, 04:48 PM
I would rip it out, and make something I like. It is still yarn from your grandma she picked it out. Maybe the reason it isn't finished is that she didn't like it either. It isn't very sentimental of me, but I have little skill and no patience. Maybe if you keep going in pattern you will feel a closeness to your grandma and you will have a project that the two of you did together. I think you win no matter what you chose to do.
Peace,
jessica

sinistral_needler
10-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh! That scarf idea is neat! :thumbsup: I will have to think about that ..

I had started working on it and since I am a left-handed crocheter, and my grandmother was a right-handed crocheter, the ridges are on different sides (if you have ever crocheted a ripple afghan you would probably know what I mean). I thought that might be enough to make it interesting but eh .. :roll: .. it's not enough.

I will probably end up making the darn thing according to the pattern cause I feel like such a stinker about it. I feel like I should treasure this thing and hold it as close to my heart as I can .. and it's just not happening. Ugh!

I shouldn't be getting so emotional about needles and yarn!!!

The.Knitter
10-25-2007, 04:57 PM
It's not a pattern, needles and yarn. It's your grandmother's pattern, needles and yarn she chose. There is a HUGE difference. I think you should look at that scarf idea. It seems good to me. Then you will have something to show for both of your skills. If you really dislike the pattern, you won't use the afghan. If you won't use the afghan, what is the sense spending all that time making it? Food for thought.....

sinistral_needler
10-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Jessica, thanks for pointing out that maybe my grandma didn't like it either. I hadn't thought of that. It is a tedious design!

Becky Morgan
10-25-2007, 05:53 PM
I second the vote on the scarf. I have a lot of scarves that started as afghans with patterns that turned out to be awful, tedious, loaded with mistakes or otherwise not fun. They look good as scarves, though!

knitgal
10-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Your grandma would have wanted you to love this and since you don't I don't see a problem in making something you do love. Maybe find a pattern that you think she would have liked, or just something YOU like. This is a gift, and you're supposed to enjoy it.

Mulderknitter
10-25-2007, 06:13 PM
I agree. Your grandma would never have wanted you to pore away on something you don't like. Maybe frog it and use the yarn on an afghan you DO want to knit. Or bind off and use as a table runner?
On another note, I have an afghan that my grandma made me about 15 years ago, two different shades of purple. My DH hates it, but I love it because my grandma knitted it with my favorite colors just for me. I use it when I'm sick on the couch and need some comfort. I don't know how you can use that, but it's just a side-note

kemp
10-25-2007, 07:01 PM
The scarf idea is great, but I also like the idea of possibly incorporating what she already crocheted into a different design. Maybe you could use the ripple as a border on each end? You could even switch to knit in the middle if you wanted and then switch back to crochet at the end to have the borders match. If you happen to have a digital camera a picture might help get more ideas flowing.

gargoylelib
10-26-2007, 04:37 AM
Do you have other family members who knit or crochet? Maybe you
could pass it around like an Oddball Afghan and have everyone
contribute a bit of their favorite pattern and then you'd have a
special family heirloom..:)
Just a thought!
Libbie :)

rachejm
10-26-2007, 05:15 AM
I think I would rip it out and find a pattern that I really like for the yarn, something that I could wear regularly (I'd never wear something that I didn't like) that when I put it on would remind me of her knowing that it was her yarn. I think my nan would rather the yarn went to good use than that I finished her pattern and never used it because I didn't like it.
Hope that helps

knitgal
10-26-2007, 10:20 AM
I think you should rip it out and make afghan squares representing people in your family. Find patterns and/or colours that remind you of each of your family members, then it will be like a family blanket...I'm sure your grandma would love it.