PDA

View Full Version : Some notes on the new KH site

sheldon
10-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Hey everyone. By now you've probably noticed things here are a little bit different. Don't try adjusting your monitors. It's the new KH is all it's glory.

I am reserving this space for some general notes and annoucements regarding the new site. So this thread will be locked. But, if you wish to express your happiness and excitement for the new site you can jump over to this dandy thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68460). And if you have a bug you wish to report you can jump over here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/bugs). I know about a lot of bugs and I have been working on them, so when I get a moment I will update the bugs page with whats been fixed and what's still buggy!

First and foremost is the new video player. No longer are the videos in some buggy mpeg format. The videos are now in Flash format and we provide you with the player. Gone are the days of having to reinstall Quicktime or MediaPlayer to have these videos hopefully work. This should mean the videos will play well for more people. The videos are also streaming, so you can jump to the end of video without having to wait for it to load completely. They should also play reasonably well for people with slower internet connection (no promises to dial-up users ;)) The videos also have a full-screen button you can click on to make the videos, well, full-screen. This looks great on the larger videos, but the smaller ones get a bit pixelly. So your mileage may vary.

All of the pages on the site have been overhauled completely. Probably the most changed page is the main page (http://www.knittinghelp.com). We now have lead ins to every major area of the site, with an emphasis on the forums and videos. This should bring more visitors into the forum.

Themes! Yes, we now have some themes. See those colored dots near the top. Go ahead and click on them. They will change the color of the site for you. The site *should* remember your choice so when you log off or move to other pages the theme will stay the same. I am ironing out some minor cookie problems so expect some wonkiness with the themes here and there for a day or so. I will also be adding in some more color choices so if you have a favorite color that hasn't been represented please let me know. We might also surprise you with some seasonal themes on various holidays.:teehee:

A word about links...Many of the links on KH have changed. For example, the forum used to be found in /knitting/forum and is now just /forum. I have set up redirects for nearly every page on this site. So if you link to us in your blog or have a KH bookmark they should continue to work. However, you might want to update them in case we ever remove the redirects. The videos no longer have direct download links :( . This is a symptom of the streaming technology we are using now. If you did direct link to any videos they will no longer work I am afraid. You can still link to a video by right-clicking on the video icon and choosing "Copy Link". This link will lead you to a page with the player embedded. In the near future we may come out with a player to allow people to embed KH videos into their own blogs, websites and forum posts. But for now you can link using the technique mentioned above.

I am sure there are plenty of things I have forgotten. My head is spinning quite a bit from the launch. It took us a while to get all the core systems in place and our work isn't done yet. Anyhow, if I have anything further to add I will pop back in here and tack it onto this thread.

Thanks for your support and enthusiasm!:yay:

- Sheldon