PDA

View Full Version : do you worry about this?

efooey
10-26-2007, 10:13 AM
So here is my irrational fear, does anyone else share this?

I have been using a whole bunch of metal straight needles lately and because I'm not the neatest person ever they are laying around the house, on the table, on the couch etc. Do you ever worry about accidentally impaling yourself? What about others? Say my dog jumps up on the couch not knowing they are there? What about my poor DH, he hasn't got a chance, he doesn't notice anything.

Am I the only one who thinks this sometimes?
E

G J
10-26-2007, 10:18 AM
I do 99% of my knitting on circulars, so no, I don't worry!

GiddyKnitter
10-26-2007, 10:28 AM
I invested in a needle case years ago for all my metal needles and I have all my bamboo ones in wraps. My cicular stash is growing quickly so I will find a safe way of storing those also. By having them stored you can always put your hands on them when needed and not have to start searching down the back of sofa's etc!

Lisa_H-Town
10-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Like G J I do everything on circulars now, BUT, I did worry when I had all those long, straight needles around... I recently gave them to my neices, to practice with, and was a nervous wreck that they were going to "poke an eye out" or something...

So, I say no, you aren't the only one to worry!;)

MrsDavis3
10-26-2007, 10:30 AM
I used to knit on straight metal needles, but the worst thing that ever happened with them was that I bent one severely by sitting on it. There was no pain or injury to myself.

efooey
10-26-2007, 10:35 AM
ok, good I feel better.
I think pregnancy is bringing out my more neurotic worry side (although it was never really that far off)

E

MellieThePooh
10-26-2007, 10:39 AM
When I'm standing in line for the bathroom on a plane, sometimes I want to shove the door open (the one that goes to the outside), or when I'm standing on a cliff I'm afraid I won't be able to stop myself from jumping off. But I don't think I could actually do either of those things, and I don't think you're in much danger from your needles, especially since they let you take them on planes!

My neurotic side hasn't been enhance by pregnancy yet, but I can relate cuz my hormones went nuts right after I got married. I started crying at dumb commercials with kids in them.

brittyknits
10-26-2007, 10:39 AM
No, I don't worry about this. This is because I keep my needles extremely well organized. This is because I did once impale myself. That was a fun little trip to the ER. I'll spare you the details. But never again. So-- I didn't worry about it before when I should have. I don't worry about it now because I didn't worry about it before when I should have and learned my lesson. If you know what I mean.

GennyLynn1962
10-26-2007, 10:41 AM
I have my straight needles standing up in my knitting basket that sits on a chest in front of our living room window. The other night we were under a tornado warning.....I move the needles... I could just see them flying through the air and stabbing everybody. :teehee:

PurlyGyrl
10-26-2007, 10:42 AM
I keep my metal needles in an old (washed and cleaned thoroughly) Pringles potato chip can:doh: What can I say--I'm a recycle, reuse kinda girl :shrug:

BTW-I love your avatar. Your dog is so cute!!

Sharly
10-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Purly! That's a great idea! I have them in a vase on my dresser right now, but I really kind of like a minimalist look, and they are started to collect dust, so I love that idea...now if I can just find a can. I might just have to buy and eat some pringles for the can! That's a good excuse, huh? Did you decorate it? I could see it would be easy to do :)

E - I haven't been injured by my needles, but others on the forum have written about it. I don't think your fear is irrational, but you might want to take care with them ;)

Be safe!!

PurlyGyrl
10-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Yep, I used my favorite wrapping paper to cover the can and some of that squishy shelf liner stuff (about a buck a roll at the Dollar Store) to make a cushion for the inside so the tips of the needles wouldn't scrape the bottom of the can. I thought about embellishing it was some of my scrapebook stuff--just haven't gotten around to it. The can works great for the shorter needles-I think the lid will even fit on it with needles inside. I lost the top--actually didn't lose the top--Her Highness Ginger thought the top was a mini-frisbee and chewed it up!:teehee: The longer ones I just let stick out.

Sharly
10-26-2007, 11:18 AM
That's really cool! Very innovative of you :)

speattle
10-26-2007, 11:50 AM
My Daughter did this! She stepped on a pile of knitting and got a 6 or 7 about halfway into her foot!
Luckily, she did not get blood on her WIP!

She now has a cat and so she had better be extra careful.

aslangirl
10-26-2007, 11:54 AM
I have all my straights in a big, square vase on my coffee table, and I think they look cool, too!

bip
10-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Yes, definitely! That's why I only have circs and crystalites (which I bought because they are cute, but never use them because they are too sticky)

In fact, here's a related story for ya. When my mom taught me to knit, she bought me a bunch of plastic tapestry needles for assembly. When my mother in law saw them, she tsk-tsk'd and bought me some metal needles.

What she didn't know is that all through my childhood and teenage years, I had a track record of leaving sharp things in BAD places. Scissors in my bed (which I would find waking up in the morning), tacks on the floor, etc. You name it, if it was sharp, I would use it (for what, I have no idea) and leave it out or tucked away somewhere really dangerous. And sure enough, for the first few weeks with those metal needles, I poked myself and had countless close calls, finding them in the carpet and in the furniture cushions. My mom and I had a good laugh about that (she admitted that she'd bought me the plastic ones ON PURPOSE, because she knew me!)

For now, I keep those metal needles MIL gave me on a really strong magnet right by my chair. They are technically "out", but not underfoot. When I have kids, they will have to get tucked away somewhere safe...and I'm hoping by then I'll have cured my strange behavior with sharp objects.

bethany
10-26-2007, 01:17 PM
I laid claim to my hubby's g'ma's stash of needles and notions when she passed away and with them was a cannister, tall and skinny, that has a top on it and all of the needles are organized by size. It's awesome, sort of like a golf bag, but slots for each size. Had a carrying strap and the top is attached at the center, goes off to the side to access the needles. It's not very pretty, but I could fix that!

Debkcs
10-26-2007, 01:31 PM
We have a toddler here three days a week, I have to put my knitting up, or continually say "no!" to her. Since my DH (whom she calls 'Gumball') is so safety conscious around her, read over protective, I bought a knitting bag from the Lion Brand website. It's big, has pockets, and almost all my stuff fits in it. It goes up high when she's here. Most of my needles are circulars, but there are a few straight ones.

When she goes down for a nap, out comes the knitting!

Sharly
10-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Bethany, that sounds like the coolest thing! I wonder if they still make them?

I laid claim to my hubby's g'ma's stash of needles and notions when she passed away and with them was a cannister, tall and skinny, that has a top on it and all of the needles are organized by size. It's awesome, sort of like a golf bag, but slots for each size. Had a carrying strap and the top is attached at the center, goes off to the side to access the needles. It's not very pretty, but I could fix that!

MellieThePooh
10-26-2007, 04:49 PM
At the LYS there's a handmade pottery thing that has holes in it so you can stick needles in it, they stick out like flowers in a vase. I wish I could describe it better, but if I ever find somebody with a kiln, I'll have to make myself one.

Lisa R.
10-26-2007, 05:28 PM
now if I can just find a can. I might just have to buy and eat some pringles for the can! That's a good excuse, huh? Did you decorate it? I could see it would be easy to do :)

I would think you'd KNIT a cozy/cover for the can, of course!!:teehee:

Songbirdy
10-26-2007, 05:29 PM
I keep my WIP's in bags that can be closed. And I do. That eliminates non knitting time poking.

Otherwise, I keep my project close to me.

Mind you the first time I was knitting a sock I did poke myself in the eye in my efforts to join the sock in the round. I was using DPNS, and I still do as I don't like doing the magic loop.

My needles in general are kept in a lovely green glass vase I stole off my mother.

I had them in a lighter Pringles type container but it kept falling off and then laying all my needles under the nearest piece of the heaviest furniture. And I can tell you... remember to put nylons over the end of the vacuum cleaner when attempting to get the needles out because...

just because!

The glass vase hasn't fallen yet Crossed Fingers . It was originally my Grandmothers.

:thumbsup:

The.Knitter
10-26-2007, 05:55 PM
I use my wonderful set of Denise interchangable needles for 99% of my knitting now. They are so much easier to use. Your knitting lays in your lap so your wrists don't bear all the weight of the knitting. Your knitting fits in a smaller space when storing WIP's. The tips are resin so you can't hurt yourself on them even if someone sits on them. The tips just snap onto the cable and are so much easier when doing a needle size change. The set comes with buttons to use so that the cables can easily be turned into stitch holders. The whole set fits into one case which is about the size of a book, so storing is a breeze. The case is hard covered so it is easy to drop into a suitcase or large purse or tote bag when you are on the go. AND the BEST news is that you can buy them right here in the KH store at a VERY reasonable price! That's what I did, and it supports this site when you buy something from the KH store. Amy and Sheldon give us so much help and support with our knitting, it's good to be able to support them in some way as well.

Also in the KH store you can find nice tote bags that are not expensive, so each WIP can go into one and then be stored in a closet. You could even get one of each colour so you know which bag holds what WIP.

Other than that you could get a case for your needles. It will make it easier for you when you are hunting for the correct size to use on a project AND no one will sit on a needle. They can be ordered at Mary Maxim online or any knitting supply store should carry them.

Good luck with your organizing!

Ironlung21
10-26-2007, 06:11 PM
I have an irrational fear of dogs and would probably impale myself if one jumped up onto the sofa while I was knitting.
Sadly I think the answer is to pick 'em up and put those needles away. How I hate it when I more and more I sound like my mother....!

lelvsdgs
10-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I keep my metal needles in an old (washed and cleaned thoroughly) Pringles potato chip can:doh: What can I say--I'm a recycle, reuse kinda girl :shrug:

BTW-I love your avatar. Your dog is so cute!!

I recently purchased an on sale hideous wine box to store mine in. It works really well and I just covered it with fabric so it's pretty.

bethany
10-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Bethany, that sounds like the coolest thing! I wonder if they still make them?
It really is. Like I said, not the prettiest thing (right now) but it works so good! I'll try to take a pic and get it to you if you'd like...there are no identifiers on it...

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-27-2007, 04:46 PM
nope, i bought some of those rubber point protectors and keep my knitting in it's bag. I also store my needles in the filing cabinet

Sharly
10-28-2007, 07:03 AM
It really is. Like I said, not the prettiest thing (right now) but it works so good! I'll try to take a pic and get it to you if you'd like...there are no identifiers on it...
Yes! I would love to see a picture!! Thanks!

bethany
10-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Yes! I would love to see a picture!! Thanks!
Ok! I hope I can get this right...I'm going to try to do this so that you can see all 4 pix right here...let me know if it works or not! In the last pic, that's a size 13 needle if that gives you any perspective!

http://gallery.mac.com/bethanygemmen#100015/CIMG5261&bgcolor=black

Sharly
10-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Awww Bethany, I can't view...but thanks for trying!!

bethany
10-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Awww Bethany, I can't view...but thanks for trying!!
ugh technology...I started a new thread and posted thumbnails. I probably could have done that before? Who knows! Hope you see it~in general knitting, "needle storage".